It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 
Pikmin Chucker

Post The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
We don't have a topic for this? With how dead this place is I shouldn't be surprised. Anyways, I'm pretty pumped for this one, the non-linearity is an exciting development and I can't wait to see how it all works out while trying to maintain the narrative that Zelda games have these days. Definitely will be a midnight download for me.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:25 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Weave wrote:
Anyways, I'm pretty pumped for this one, the non-linearity is an exciting development and I can't wait to see how it all works out while trying to maintain the narrative that Zelda games have these days. Definitely will be a midnight download for me.

I currently have it pre-ordered at Gamestop. Should I go for the download one? Decisions, decisions....

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
I was never really into the 2D Zeldas so that's why I'm kind of avoiding this one. Plus, I just have so much else to play anyways.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Gamer Greg wrote:
Weave wrote:
Anyways, I'm pretty pumped for this one, the non-linearity is an exciting development and I can't wait to see how it all works out while trying to maintain the narrative that Zelda games have these days. Definitely will be a midnight download for me.

I currently have it pre-ordered at Gamestop. Should I go for the download one? Decisions, decisions....

I'd prefer to have A Link Between Worlds digital. It's a Zelda game and I know I'll never want to sell it or get rid of it. I need to look into a bigger SD card because I have a ton of VC and 3DSware games along with a few retail titles on my 3DS as it is.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:01 pm
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
I'll probably get it for either review or just for fun. Looks great so far!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weave wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:
Weave wrote:

I'd prefer to have A Link Between Worlds digital. It's a Zelda game and I know I'll never want to sell it or get rid of it. I need to look into a bigger SD card because I have a ton of VC and 3DSware games along with a few retail titles on my 3DS as it is.

Normally I go this route, but Windwaker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks have curved that behavior. All the others I have in 1 form or another.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

I'm stoked on this game. I have some very fond memories of playing through a link to the past with my father growing up, so it has it's own special appeal for me. Not to mention that I absolutely love the 2D zelda games (no, not zelda 2).

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Monday I cancelled my pre-ordered physical copy and exchanged for eShop credit. All set for the digital one!

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
So fun!

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Yesterday I 100%ed A Link Between Worlds. Yes, I tracked down all heart pieces, found every item, found all those octopus thingies and beat the final boss. Yesterday I also started Hero Mode! I am just ready to open up Lorule and save the 7 sages.

Just a few notes:

My Streetpass Mii has a bounty of 999 rupees, red tunic, boomerrang and Tornado Rod. He also has max life as well. Should be difficult to beat ;).

I've only gotten like 5 street passes and most have been easy. There was one harder one that was further than I was (at the time) but wasn't maxed out. I found the boomerrang to be tough for those that don't use the shield like me (as in I don't use the shield), so that should make it even more fun!

Thoughts:
-I did love the story, that was awesome A+
-The rental thing just feels like an added difficulty (especially in Hero Mode). So you have to trek back from the house since you need the item. I dislike how they can let you have all the weapons, yet you still only use one flippin' item in a dungeon. That wasn't the issue with the game's linearity entirely. It's that there is a focus on a single weapon, making it still easy to figure out all the puzzles.
-There is still some linearity as you couldn't access one of dungeons without the sand rod, and required the player to beat a dungeon to get the item back.

I did enjoy picking the ones I wanted to do, I ended up getting the blue tunic in the last or second to last dungeon I was in.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Well, this post concludes my efforts on Link Between Worlds.

Over the past 44 hours, I have now completely finished the game.

First playthrough (100% completion) - 28 hours
Second playthrough (100% completion - HERO MODE) - 16 hours

First playthrough: 35 deaths, 22,000 some rupees collected
Second playthrough: 18 deaths, 24,000 some rupees collected

Streetpass: First playthrough has 24/50 medals. Second playthrough has 0/50 medals

Other notes:
-First playthrough, started with Death Mountain (Ice) first, and did top to bottom for dungeons (ended with water/hookshot level). Hero mode (2nd) playthrough, did somewhat close to reverse of what I did on the first playthrough (started with blue tunic and opening up the sand rod early, and went in somewhat reverse order (bottom to top). I did the turtle rock second to last though.

Finally, I think I died more times in the first playthrough since I started with the hardest dungeon (death mountain) first, and also went to turtle rock second; so I essentially did 2 of the harder ones (IMO) first, so I had less heart containers, significantly less bottles (had trouble finding 3-5 - I also was stuck with that premium milk until the very end)

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Kremling

NNID: noahdp
Gamer Greg wrote:
Well, this post concludes my efforts on Link Between Worlds.

Over the past 44 hours, I have now completely finished the game.

First playthrough (100% completion) - 28 hours
Second playthrough (100% completion - HERO MODE) - 16 hours

First playthrough: 35 deaths, 22,000 some rupees collected
Second playthrough: 18 deaths, 24,000 some rupees collected

Streetpass: First playthrough has 24/50 medals. Second playthrough has 0/50 medals

Other notes:
-First playthrough, started with Death Mountain (Ice) first, and did top to bottom for dungeons (ended with water/hookshot level). Hero mode (2nd) playthrough, did somewhat close to reverse of what I did on the first playthrough (started with blue tunic and opening up the sand rod early, and went in somewhat reverse order (bottom to top). I did the turtle rock second to last though.

Finally, I think I died more times in the first playthrough since I started with the hardest dungeon (death mountain) first, and also went to turtle rock second; so I essentially did 2 of the harder ones (IMO) first, so I had less heart containers, significantly less bottles (had trouble finding 3-5 - I also was stuck with that premium milk until the very end)

Ha. Turtle rock and death mountain are the two dungeons I have left. I got lucky this time!

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:02 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Small update:

When I streetpassed Hattrick last week, his battle gave me medal #50/50 on my first play through (final medal was win while not moving). Since, I have gotten 1 other streetpass and now at 4/50 on my Hero Mode medal collection (first win, win after drinking blue potion, win using master sword level 3 and win using spin attack). This dude was tough since I took double damage and plus he had a blue potion that he actually used (had a few battles with Links having potions, but never using them).

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

I'm trying to get all the medals on my hero mode run. How did you win without moving?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weave wrote:
I'm trying to get all the medals on my hero mode run. How did you win without moving?

That one can only be done fighting a low level link. Basically you can't touch the circle pad/d pad, AND you cannot get hit. For some reason it thinks you moved if you were struck. So with my first play through, I shot the beam forward, charged for a spin attack. The spin attack connected and killed Hattrick on the spot.

So you've already guessed it can't be on the ice level either since you'll fall and that also counts as step. If you do hit you slide back anyways.

I'm thinking on my next easy Link I'll try with the golden bee as well, it may help me out and knock those 2 out with 1 Link.

It was hard even fighting a high ranked player on Hero mode already. Not sure I could win if he had full heart containers and a potion. I also save before each fight, so I've won every fight so far. There's really only 1 battle I had to replay a bunch of times since he was a high level Link and I was middle ground (at the time). But if I'm shooting for a medal, I'll try to replay the battle until I get it (which I had to do once against Hattrick).

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Thanks! I've been saving before my fights as well. I wish there was a way to encounter Shadow Links over Spot Pass instead of Street Pass. Kind of hard to get Street Passes in Idaho. Also, I go to Best Buy to get the Nintendo Zone Street Passes but they're really bad about having it up and running and even when it is up it's a gamble if one of the people I pass even has a Link Between Worlds.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:48 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weave wrote:
Thanks! I've been saving before my fights as well. I wish there was a way to encounter Shadow Links over Spot Pass instead of Street Pass. Kind of hard to get Street Passes in Idaho. Also, I go to Best Buy to get the Nintendo Zone Street Passes but they're really bad about having it up and running and even when it is up it's a gamble if one of the people I pass even has a Link Between Worlds.

Spot pass ones do appear, but I think you need to be playing for like 3 hours straight. I researched it since I got one named "shade" while playing, and since it was at home I know it wasn't a streetpass (there was no green light - and no Mii in the plaza). But usually they are somewhat evenly matched with your character in terms of hearts, equipment.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Gamer Greg wrote:
Weave wrote:

Spot pass ones do appear, but I think you need to be playing for like 3 hours straight. I researched it since I got one named "shade" while playing, and since it was at home I know it wasn't a streetpass (there was no green light - and no Mii in the plaza). But usually they are somewhat evenly matched with your character in terms of hearts, equipment.

Hmm I'll have to keep that in mind. I've fought a Shade before but it was when I had a street pass. I just assumed it one one of the people I street passed.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:36 pm
Moblin

NNID: Revolution31
3DS Friend Code:
2981-7087-3500
Wow, it's been a while since I posted here, lol. So, I got A Link between Worlds for Christmas. My mom bought it for me (Yes, I'm 30 years old and my mom still buys me games. I haven't had a job since 2007 and I told her I wanted it. She knows I'm a big Zelda fan, so she got me the gold 3DS bundle). Anyway, I've been playing it ever since I got to download it (believe it or not, although the eshop was down all that time, it actually eventually downloaded late Christmas night/early morning the next day) and I'm loving it. A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game. I love how A Link between Worlds takes place in basically the same Hyrule. I think everything about the game is awesome, especially the story. I love how they include bits and pieces of A Link to the Past in the story too. I always thought Yuga was a woman, but they're referring to him as "he". It's weird. There's so many guys in Hyrule over the years that I thought were women. Especially in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I thought Yuga was supposed to be the female version of Ganondorf, because he looks like Ganondorf a little bit. Anyway, the game is awesome. I'm so happy I got it. I love it.

Also, can someone explain how street pass works? It's confusing. So far, 3 Dark Links showed up, and no one was in my Mii Plaza or whatever it is. I got so excited that I met someone new and no one was there. I'm definitely bringing it to Manhattan next time I go. I know I'll get a lot of people there.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
jimmyjimjimz wrote:
Also, can someone explain how street pass works? It's confusing. So far, 3 Dark Links showed up, and no one was in my Mii Plaza or whatever it is. I got so excited that I met someone new and no one was there. I'm definitely bringing it to Manhattan next time I go. I know I'll get a lot of people there.

Here are 2 theories:
1) People might not have their StreetPass setup or enabled for Mii Plaza but they do for Zelda.
2) You might be receiving them via SpotPass (wifi).

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
jimmyjimjimz wrote:

Here are 2 theories:
1) People might not have their StreetPass setup or enabled for Mii Plaza but they do for Zelda.

Agreed, but if they are named "Shade" or "Link" then they are spotpass ones from what I've found. If your green light flickered, it would indicate it was an actual streetpass, and that would warrant #1 from Hattrick. I've streetpassed a few of those before not sure why they don't bother with the plaza.

Finally,

If streetpasses are difficult for your region, seriously look into the Nintendo Zones! There is one at my Starbucks, and it's made me want to go and grab a coffee so I can nab 6 street passes! Sometimes I get Zelda ones, but not a lot. I think on Nintendo's site you can look up Nintendo Zones. They can be Starbucks, McDonalds, Best Buy and some others. You don't even need to load up Nintendo Zone on the 3DS, you can leave it in your pocket, go inside for a few minutes and leave. You grab 6 street passes as long as 6 others have been there before you.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
2981-7087-3500
hattrick wrote:
jimmyjimjimz wrote:

Here are 2 theories:

Gamer Greg wrote:
hattrick wrote:
jimmyjimjimz wrote:

Here are 2 theories:

Agreed, but if they are named "Shade" or "Link" then they are spotpass ones from what I've found. If your green light flickered, it would indicate it was an actual streetpass, and that would warrant #1 from Hattrick. I've streetpassed a few of those before not sure why they don't bother with the plaza.

Finally,

If streetpasses are difficult for your region, seriously look into the Nintendo Zones! There is one at my Starbucks, and it's made me want to go and grab a coffee so I can nab 6 street passes! Sometimes I get Zelda ones, but not a lot. I think on Nintendo's site you can look up Nintendo Zones. They can be Starbucks, McDonalds, Best Buy and some others. You don't even need to load up Nintendo Zone on the 3DS, you can leave it in your pocket, go inside for a few minutes and leave. You grab 6 street passes as long as 6 others have been there before you.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I live in NYC, but I'm out in The Rockaways. Not as heavily populated as other places in the city, like Manhattan. I actually went out to get pizza on New Year's Eve and brought my DS to see what would happen, and I got home and there was someone in my Mii Plaza. Is there a way I can add someone from my Mii Plaza to my friend list? And would you guys mind if I added you?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
jimmyjimjimz wrote:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I live in NYC, but I'm out in The Rockaways. Not as heavily populated as other places in the city, like Manhattan. I actually went out to get pizza on New Year's Eve and brought my DS to see what would happen, and I got home and there was someone in my Mii Plaza. Is there a way I can add someone from my Mii Plaza to my friend list? And would you guys mind if I added you?

No problem. Yeah, that was a definite street pass then if they were in the plaza. Unfortunately you can't add them to the friends list. You have to register their friend code, AND they have to register yours. Feel free to register mine (it's in the info to the left, or in the 3DS friend code thread at the top). And I'll register yours tonight (at work now).

Welcome back, hopefully you will stick around and post more again!

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
2981-7087-3500
Gamer Greg wrote:
jimmyjimjimz wrote:

No problem. Yeah, that was a definite street pass then if they were in the plaza. Unfortunately you can't add them to the friends list. You have to register their friend code, AND they have to register yours. Feel free to register mine (it's in the info to the left, or in the 3DS friend code thread at the top). And I'll register yours tonight (at work now).

Welcome back, hopefully you will stick around and post more again!

Thanks dude. Yeah, I'm gonna try to post more. I don't really have a lot of people to talk gaming with. My friends all grew out of it or they think Nintendo is too kiddie and laugh whenever I bring it up.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
jimmyjimjimz wrote:
Also, can someone explain how street pass works? It's confusing.

I don't think it was covered how it "actually" works. Basically the 3DS has a 0-20 foot radius and when the system is closed (but turned ON) it sends out signals (it doesn't have to be closed, but I find it works better). If it meets another 3DS signal, it then takes a few seconds and it transmits data between the 2 systems. Typically walking by someone is guaranteed to streetpass them. When you streetpass, your systems exchange Miis and any streetpass data for many different titles. Sometimes walls interfere with signals too, other times not. I've gotten them in my townhouse where it would streetpass through the shared wall (from time to time). There's been times I've gotten them in the car just driving too.

Basically going to tourist places or crowded places typically get you a number of them. The more geeky the place/event is, the more likely you will get them (like video game conventions, Zelda concerts, etc). However, your system can only store 10 at a time, so you must clear them in the plaza or you won't get #11+. There is no indication when you have 10, you simply need to check it out from time to time. As I said if you visit a Nintendo Zone, you can grab up to 6 easily within seconds of just being in the store/restaurant. So if you are heading downtown for the day, best to clear those out first.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next