It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Games that were unexpectedly awesome or exceeded expectation 
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Games that were unexpectedly awesome or exceeded expectation
So what games stand out as exceeded your expectations? Or maybe surprisingly you enjoyed more than you thought? I have a few that came to mind for me...

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii) - Heard lots of good things about this and so I decided to pick it up and see for myself. Oh man, this was such a joy ride... it felt like there were so many surprises in the action and it always felt interesting. Controls were great and it was fun to replay too. I remember playing some multiplayer with Trist and I had fun (can't remember if he enjoyed though).

Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - I've always been interested in 3D Mario games, but was never super excited about them until the Mario Galaxy series. Those games hooked me and I realized what all the fun was about. And then this game came around and blew me away. Every level I was smiling and enjoying the challenges, and it kept getting harder and harder but I could actually feel my skill level increasing alongside that as well. That last boss battle was so much fun... and then I unlocked twice as many levels, of which I still need to complete. But it was a lot of fun.

The Wonderful 101 (Wii U) - Okay, so this can't really count... yet. But I played a demo before Wii U released and I played the demo on the eShop, and I've seen a playthrough of the first hour or so of the game. It is so much fun! The demo alone had so many twists and turns and it always kept me interested. And man, the game can be complex... there is definitely a big learning curve. But once you get past that, it really pays off. I am super excited to experience the story for the game and see what else it has in store for me. If it weren't for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, I'd say this could be my game of the year. But I'll know for sure once I play the full game when it releases next weekend.

Jam with the Band (DS) - I originally played the Japanese version Daigasso Band Brothers DX because I love rhythm games and man, this was awesome. It can be rather difficult and I only play on the easier difficulties, but all the Nintendo songs and other stuff in there is great. Some of the user creations are really cool too. Once they released it in Europe as Jam with the Band, I wanted it really bad... but no US release. So this is the only game I've ever imported, because I just had to have it. Hopefully the 3DS version comes to the US, but from the lack of mention of it here, I doubt it unfortunately.

I may add more to the list when I have time and can think of more. But those are some games that stand out to me. What about you?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:06 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

Post Re: Games that were unexpectedly awesome or exceeded expecta
Cool thread idea, DW.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

This game was a complete and utter shock for me. I bought it to humor one of my friends who was raving about the game and got instantly hooked. I highly, HIGHLY suggest people try the demo on steam.

I'll add some more later.

Bobius,Thu, 10 Jan 2008, 21:29 wrote:
I shall assume Mike is right as he is Mike.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]