It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Nintendo Ushers In New Revolution of 2D Gaming: 2DS Revealed 
5000+ Club

Post Nintendo Ushers In New Revolution of 2D Gaming: 2DS Revealed

Announced on today the revolutionary and new 2DS joins the Nintendo ecosystem of new products coming this year. Shocking and baffling the masses the device is part of the 3DS family but eliminates the most innovative feature from Nintendo by focusing only on 2D games such as DS games and 3DS games.

-

I think its an excellent move for highlighting how important 3DS gaming features are and cant wait to see the experience of 3DS games on 2DS. Will 3DS games have a compatible with 2DS on the boxes stickers now? And whos the market? Also why doesnt it fold.

I think PS Vita may really encroach upon this unit in the 2D market with its high value and larger than life screen.

details

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:26 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Nintendo Ushers In New Revolution of 2D Gaming: 2DS Reve
I was ready to laugh at this as a rumor, but low and behold I went to Nintendo.com (USA) and saw it shown right smack on the front page.

WTH!

Wow, umm, that's not very portable system there Nintendo. Also, I see no mention of "Streetpass" available on it either. One last note is the missing information regarding the battery life. If it's a significant upgrade, may consider it, but likely not since it's not portable.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

This makes about as much sense as the Wii mini.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Gamer Greg wrote:
I was ready to laugh at this as a rumor, but low and behold I went to Nintendo.com (USA) and saw it shown right smack on the front page.

WTH!

Wow, umm, that's not very portable system there Nintendo. Also, I see no mention of "Streetpass" available on it either. One last note is the missing information regarding the battery life. If it's a significant upgrade, may consider it, but likely not since it's not portable.

It does have StreetPass. It has all the same features as a regular 3DS. Instead of closing the system (since you obviously can't anymore), there's a sleep mode slider at the bottom of the system. As for battery, I'm hearing it's slightly better than the regular 3DS but not as good as the 3DS XL.

My thoughts are that it seems like an interesting system and the price point is good... BUT WHY THE HECK ARE YOU EVEN DOING THIS NINTENDO?! Okay okay, they're doing it for the money. This thing will sell great at this price I'm sure, especially for kids. But talk about major brand confusion. So now a 2DS can play DS and 3DS games, and 3DS plays the same because there aren't any 2DS games, but a DS can only play DS games and not 2DS or 3DS games. If people own a 2DS... they're going to be buying games whose boxes say 3DS on them. That immediately should tell you this whole naming scheme and idea is stupid.

Instead they should have kept the 3D functionality and went with this redesign, which may still have saved some costs. I think the product will do well and it makes sense from a business standpoint... but from a marketing perspective, this is terrible. I will definitely not be getting one, I can't do without the 3D feature and I like my 3DS XL.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Nintendo thinks their consumers are smarter than they really are. The only people who can tell you the difference between a DS 3DS and 2DS or between the Wii, Wii mini, and Wii U are people who play their games or follow gaming news. The average consumer or the casual consumer are going to be utterly confused.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 pm
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Yes, I agree about the brand confusion. I guess they didn't learn with Wii U.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

I bought one to check it out.
The thing is pretty comfortable in the hands. It's not amazing, but it's better than I expected it to be. My hands are fairly large so I do have some discomfort after a longer play session from the sharp edges on the bottom left and right of the device. The buttons are a mixed bag. The control slider feels the same as the 3DS. The shoulder buttons feel fantastic and have a great click to them. The DPad is a serious disappointment though. They don't really give any feedback and feel mushy. That's not to say they are terrible, but they don't live up to the Nintendo quality I have come to expect. The ABXY buttons work great, though they are nothing to write home about. I prefer a good tactile response from my controls though, so I may be a little more biased in that aspect.
Battery life feels about the same as the 3DS. I've got around 4-5 hours of gameplay in before needing plug the device in.
The build quality is so-so. This feels like a budget device. That being said, it does feel very durable. I would have been happy with the build for the price, but there are some parts of it that squeak when I apply pressure to it. I'm sure this helps with the durability in the event of a fall, but it just makes me think they could have engineered it to be a bit more solid.

Overall, I really do like the 2DS.

I will be returning it to the store though and purchasing a 3DS XL because the larger screens make me happy.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]