It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Disney Infinity 
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Disney Infinity
So Disney Infinity comes out in a few days. It's basically Disney's take on Skylanders where there are different playsets you can buy to unlock those worlds and play an adventure mode for, and new character figures you can buy to unlock those characters in the toy box mode. Toy box mode is where you basically can make whatever you want... make various types of games with different pieces from different worlds. Lots of possibilities. It's coming out for various consoles and also 3DS (though this version is different than the others). There's also an iPad app that's free that will be out soon that has the toy box mode, and it syncs with the toy box from the console games. Anyone going to get this?

I had been considering it for a long time. I always thought the concept of Skylanders was interesting. It's DLC... but instead of just digital DLC, you also get a physical item alongside it. But I just held off on collecting those. But now with this being Disney franchises which I know and love, this seems perfect for me and my collecting habits. Especially since they plan on supporting this for a long time and I can see potential Marvel and/or Star Wars figures down the line. There's so much potential! I watched a bunch of videos recently and I've decided to go for it. I'll be getting Disney Infinity for Wii U next week. The various adventure modes sound like fun, and the toy box mode is really intriguing. So many possibilities!

I plan on collecting all the figures, at least what's coming out now. There are power disks you can collect in blind packs, which as of now I don't plan on collecting, but if I find they're pretty vital to the game or interesting enough to collect, I might go for it. To help with the costs of it all, I'll do reviews of the sets and figures on YouTube. I'll post those videos on NintendoFuse, along with some impressions on what those sets unlock in the game. Just a little something for me to help contribute to the site since my time is limited.

So who else is joining me in getting the game?

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:52 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Disney Infinity
Definitely interested, especially because if the cross platform toybox multiplayer and sharing. Dunno yet if I'll get it or not...

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: Disney Infinity
So here's my launch day experience...

Went to Toys "R" Us a few minutes after opening. There was a huge banner in front of the store advertising the game. I went in and it was not busy at all. There was one guy with his son at the Disney Infinity section, which by the way is massive and takes up like a whole aisle. I picked up the Wii U starter pack, the figures for Violet and the exclusive Lightning McQueen (wasn't going to get this but the buy one, get one 50% off tempted me), and then one exclusive power disc pack and one regular power disc pack. At the register, I had to get the starter pack separate to use for the 20% off coupon I had because the system was trying to count it with the buy one get one 50% off stuff.

Then went to Target across the street. Saw the same guy with his son and I told him about Wal-Mart's site having the 3 packs for $15. I picked up the Cars play set, and both 3 packs. Much smaller section here compared to Toys "R" Us, basically was half an aisle with Skylanders taking up the other half. Went to customer service for the price match (the other guy with his son followed too since he was doing the same) and was told the Cars set was street dated for October 14th. So they called someone and after a while said it was a nationwide issue (as others here are reporting) and come back by like 11 or so, and it should be resolved. I was annoyed, but I really need to save money so I gave them my name and they held the item for me. I'll see if I can swing by later today for it.

I recorded a quick unboxing video earlier, and now I'm going to have some fun with this stuff.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
What do you think so far? It's a lot to invest and I'm not sure I want to just yet. Much more than just a regular $50-60 game.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
What do you think so far? It's a lot to invest and I'm not sure I want to just yet. Much more than just a regular $50-60 game.

It's definitely a lot to invest in, so here's how I'll break it down. Keep in mind I've played for a few hours and haven't even touched the Toy Box mode yet.

The Starter Pack is $75. With sales or coupons, you can get it down to about $60, which is a bit more in line with traditional game pricing. But you do get three figures and the base in addition to a game, so that can justify the extra cost. In terms of content, these three figures give you access to three adventure modes, each set in the figure's respective universe. Plus, you get access to Toy Box mode. Out of those three, I've only played the one for The Incredibles and I'm loving it so far. There's a lot of different missions you can do and it's very fun. There are certain collectibles that you need the other figures for, but the story can be played without them. I will say that I like changing up the figures also because some of the other figures can make some other situations easier. But you don't need them.

In terms of hours of content, I can't speak for that since I haven't played it all yet. But you're basically getting three adventure modes (which I've heard take 6-7 hours to complete, or up to 10 hours to collect everything) and the Toy Box mode. So I think the Starter Pack can be justified. The other figures... those are rather expensive. Each other figure in those universes will unlock the ability to play as that character in their adventure mode (for example, buying the Mrs. Incredible figure means you can use her in the Incredibles adventure mode). It also gives you the ability to use them in Toy Box mode. At regular price, probably not worth it. But at a sale price (like Wal-Mart selling the three packs of figures for only $15 when each individual figure is normally $13-14), then yea it's worth it.

I think the Playsets are also worth it, but probably on sale. They're normally $30 I think, which is like a whole game price almost and they're 6-10 hours worth of content. I got it for about $18, which is much more reasonable I think. The only thing not worth it IMO are the blind packs of Power Discs. You're going to get a lot of duplicates and it's $5 for two discs. They also mostly just unlock stuff in Toy Box mode. I'm still debating if I want to collect these or not.

--------

So to summarize, I think the Starter Pack is somewhat worth it, and on sale then definitely. The figures and playsets are only worth it on sale. And the Power Discs are not worth it. You don't need the figures, playsets, and Power Discs to enjoy the game... but they certainly overall do add to the experience. But again, it's all about the cost.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I may be getting a review copy, but waiting to see how that turns out. If I don't get the review copy, I'm likely not going to invest in it.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
So I had done an unboxing video for Disney Infinity on launch day for a few items I got. Here it is:

And I just started posting my series of reviews of each individual figure/set for Disney Infinity. First up is my review of the Starter Pack:

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Picked it up earlier tonight from Walmart. When I checked out, the lady said I qualified for a gift card. She adds $15 to it and says it was some deal with the game. Sweet! I basically got the game for only $60, which is much better than $75! I don't know exactly why they did that, but I'm not complaining. Played some of the toybox mode with my wife before jumping into the Monsters U playset for a couple hours. Eventually stopped because I was getting motion sickness from riding the bicycle around a lot. Ha! Overall, pretty fun so far.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
Picked it up earlier tonight from Walmart. When I checked out, the lady said I qualified for a gift card. She adds $15 to it and says it was some deal with the game. Sweet! I basically got the game for only $60, which is much better than $75! I don't know exactly why they did that, but I'm not complaining. Played some of the toybox mode with my wife before jumping into the Monsters U playset for a couple hours. Eventually stopped because I was getting motion sickness from riding the bicycle around a lot. Ha! Overall, pretty fun so far.

Yea, that's the deal Wal-Mart has this week for the starter packs. Nice! I haven't gotten to the bicycle part of Monsters University yet. I've focused mostly on The Incredibles which is a lot of fun and play a bit of the Pirates of the Caribbean, Monsters University, and Cars. Haven't touched The Lone Ranger yet. I did try to create a race track in Toy Box mode and it's all right, nothing fancy. One thing that would have been nicer is giving us the Toy Box pieces from the start. As is, you basically win spins by leveling up your characters or completing missions or things like that, and then you use those spins to randomly select a certain Toy Box item to unlock. But if we all play together and combine what we have, that'd be pretty neat.

Steve and Jeremy, let me know when you both are free and we can mess around in Toy Box mode.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
I actually played online with Steve last night for about 20 or 30 minutes. It's cool, but other than the 1 multiplayer game we played, I wasn't sure what else to do. We ran around my Toy Box and one of the Disney ones for a little bit, but that was it.

My free time to play online is rare, but with my wife going to homeschooling meetings once a month, I expect to have 20 or 30 minutes in the evening on occasion. It might be a few weeks before I have the free time again for multiplayer, but I'll contact you if so.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
I think I've done all or almost all of the missions within the Monsters U playset. I've got just a few collectibles and challenges to do, but I'm basically done. Suggestions on which one I should go to next -- Pirates or Incredibles?

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
I think I've done all or almost all of the missions within the Monsters U playset. I've got just a few collectibles and challenges to do, but I'm basically done. Suggestions on which one I should go to next -- Pirates or Incredibles?

Pirates has sword fighting and you get to sail around in a ship. The Incredibles is basically a beat-em-up and you're rescuing people and fighting enemies and stuff. I haven't done much of the Pirates one yet so I haven't really sailed around in a ship yet... but The Incredibles is a lot of fun IMO. Not sure if that helps in deciding or not.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
My review copy came! I got 9 toys and some discs. But as I sent Jeremy a text, it's for the 360. I don't have a 360 :(. So won't be playing it this week :(.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Gamer Greg wrote:
My review copy came! I got 9 toys and some discs. But as I sent Jeremy a text, it's for the 360. I don't have a 360 :(. So won't be playing it this week :(.
lol How do they expect us to review that on Wii U? Ha!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:

lol yea that's weird... "Hmm, what's the site called? NintendoFuse? Oh okay, send them a copy for the 360, that'll work". I suppose you could try to sell it and buy the Wii U version, but that is weird.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
DarkWish wrote:
hattrick wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:

lol yea that's weird... "Hmm, what's the site called? NintendoFuse? Oh okay, send them a copy for the 360, that'll work". I suppose you could try to sell it and buy the Wii U version, but that is weird.

My contact said they will now ship me out a Wii U one... so hopefully this disc will actually work ;).

"I put in the disc in and it didn't work! I thought it was for my Nintendo 360!"

Yeah, this was a bizarre turn of events.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Is there any sort of notification in the playsets when you complete everything?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
My Wii U copy came today! Was playing for a few hours with Scully and that's about it. Did a number of missions found all sorts of flags and unlockables and got some toys for the toy box. Did a number of challenges as well. I put in Mike and Randy to collect a chest or 2, but that was about it. Probably will do another set on my next play.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Anyone know what the power discs do? I got a random pack and also a Wreck-It Ralph disc that I attempted to use, but nothing happens in Toy Box mode or Story mode. It says to place a character on the platform.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Gamer Greg wrote:
Anyone know what the power discs do? I got a random pack and also a Wreck-It Ralph disc that I attempted to use, but nothing happens in Toy Box mode or Story mode. It says to place a character on the platform.

You can place the power discs on a spot on the base and then put a character on top of the power discs. These discs give attributes to your player during your play session. I couldn't get it work at first, but the second time I attempted it, I was given additional attributes during Toy Box mode.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Yeah, they aren't incredibly intuitive, but when placed under a character, they provide extra powers/features. The Tron one I got allows me to level up faster, for example.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
The power discs were annoying to collect because they were in blind packs. But thanks to some people online on Twitter and from eBay, I managed to get a full set of the series 1 discs. Luckily, it seems Target may release a set of all the series 2 discs together with the binder for them. That will be perfect, so I'll definitely be getting that. So much easier!

On another note, we finally have some more releases of figures. A couple days ago, Woody released as a Wal-Mart exclusive and today Jack Skellington releases as a GameStop exclusive. Both are only timed exclusives though and will be available elsewhere by the end of the month I believe. I picked up Woody earlier this week and did an unboxing video:

I'll be picking up Jack Skellington today as well. I also did a video of all the wave 1 figures as well:

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]