It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
George Zimmerman trial 
Boo

Post George Zimmerman trial
What is everyone's thoughts? Do you agree with the outcome or not?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Forum Administrator

Post Re: Geogre Zimmerman trial
He was tried by jury according to the laws of the land, and could not be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I agree with the jury that the evidence does not prove the accusations.

It is important to realize, however, that my opinion, your opinion, or the opinion of anyone else does not matter. Most observers had already made up their minds last year, and few wanted a truly fair trial. Most had decided already that he was either innocent or guilty, and wanted the court to agree with their think-sos. That is not justice, that is farce and popular tyranny.

I respect the jury for deliberating for two days, asking for clarification and even skipping meals. Those women had sat and listened for two weeks while we armchair philosophers read snippets and went on with our lives, and they still did not enter deliberation with a made-up mind. I respect their judgment.

That said, I will contribute my meaningless opinion. I do not think that this was a racial issue, and I think the situation and ruling would have been the same if he had killed a white person. This case, in my inexpert opinion, is a simple matter of tragic misunderstanding and self-preservation.

I will not deny that racial issues exist, but I do not think that this is one of them. That said, your opinion is worth as much as mine.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:01 am
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I agree with the outcome based on everything I heard about it. My aunt lives not to far from where the incident took place, and she was also saying how the FL media gave a better portrayal of how this kid actually was. Where I am you see the pic of him as younger and more innocent.

I heard bits and pieces of the evidence and it certainly seems they did an excellent job and had sufficient explanations for everything.

I don't think their is a racial issue, I just think back to the outcome of the Simpson case. Both were given fair trials.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Boo

SirVenom wrote:
He was tried by jury according to the laws of the land, and could not be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I agree with the jury that the evidence does not prove the accusations.

It is important to realize, however, that my opinion, your opinion, or the opinion of anyone else does not matter. Most observers had already made up their minds last year, and few wanted a truly fair trial. Most had decided already that he was either innocent or guilty, and wanted the court to agree with their think-sos. That is not justice, that is farce and popular tyranny.

I respect the jury for deliberating for two days, asking for clarification and even skipping meals. Those women had sat and listened for two weeks while we armchair philosophers read snippets and went on with our lives, and they still did not enter deliberation with a made-up mind. I respect their judgment.

That said, I will contribute my meaningless opinion. I do not think that this was a racial issue, and I think the situation and ruling would have been the same if he had killed a white person. This case, in my inexpert opinion, is a simple matter of tragic misunderstanding and self-preservation.

I will not deny that racial issues exist, but I do not think that this is one of them. That said, your opinion is worth as much as mine.

I die a little when people say Zimmerman was 'white'. If he is white, then Obama is also white. Zimmerman is half-Hispanic and a lot of the Justice for Trayvon don't like to think about. The protests are childish.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 pm
Forum Administrator

Well, people are typically divided into the following races: white, black, and Asian. These have various subgroups (Native Americans, for example, are generally considered Asian).

Spaniards, Germans, Britons, and the like tend to be white. As such, their descendents in America also tend to be white. Hispanics and Latino vary in color depending on the amount of Native American or black heritage they have, but Zimmerman in particular was quite white (and had a German surname, to boot).

But, I did choke a little when I heard "white Hispanic" repeated on every broadcast, when I had never heard that phrase before. Hispanics can be of any race, of course, but until this case I have never heard anyone bother to differentiate them. It was an attempt to make a racial issue out of the shooting.

I will grant, however, that I was completely against Zimmerman myself at first. The first details that leaked out did sound like the signs of a hate crime.

Obama has both white and black heritage, but we tend to focus on what makes people different rather than what makes them similar. A person that we call "Asian" here, for example, might be called "white" in Asia if he or she had any white parentage.

I need to cut myself short before I stray too far from the topic on a pseudo-philosophical tangent...

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:23 pm
Boo

[quote="SirVenom"]Well, people are typically divided into the following races: white, black, and Asian. These have various subgroups (Native Americans, for example, are generally considered Asian).

[quote]

Wut? I have NEVER heard this.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:41 pm
Forum Administrator

It's a fairly recently proved link.

See:

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chi ... ?id=199379
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247747.php
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/22/d ... o-beijing/

They are considered "mongoloid", which is an Asian subgrouping.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:02 am
Boo

SirVenom wrote:

That's mind blowing.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:32 am
Octorok

NNID: queenzelda
3DS Friend Code:
2750-1204-9758
Post Re: George Zimmerman trial
Well every one was worried about a riot in Florida when the verdict came out.. What about in Cincinatti where the kid is from? If a riot breaks out about this in Cincinnati don't say I didn't say nothin.. Cause I did. :tongue: xD

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Boo

Post Re: George Zimmerman trial
queenzelda wrote:
Well every one was worried about a riot in Florida when the verdict came out.. What about in Cincinatti where the kid is from? If a riot breaks out about this in Cincinnati don't say I didn't say nothin.. Cause I did. :tongue: xD

I die a little when I hear "Justice for Trayvon"

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]