It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
XBox One Unveiled 
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post XBox One Unveiled
So, what did you think about the unveiling today? Seemed like a great event for Fantasy Football fans and stay-at-home moms, in my opinion... Lots of TV features, faster hardware, and better graphics. Anything else that stood out to you? Were you pleased or let down? Will you get one at launch?

XBox One Info:
- HDMI passthrough for cable boxes
- Cannot be used for over-the-air broadcast.
- Not a cable box itself.
- Faster, especially switching between apps/games/TV.
- NFL fantasy football integrated into TV, with pop-ups on screen.
- Can "snap" Skype or Internet browser to the side what you watch on TV.
- Better graphics.
- Better "Kinect" sensor/camera with more gestures and joint-recognition.
- Not backward compatible.
- Seemed to say it was "always on" (during event), but then said it was not (in post-event interview).
- Blu-Ray drive.
- 8GB RAM
- 8 Core CPU
- 500 GB HDD
- Game pre-installation required.
- Paywall for additional installs. ("Pre-owned fee")
- 15 exclusives; 8 coming within first year after launch.

Tue May 21, 2013 2:22 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Post Re: XBox One Unveiled
It looks like Microsoft is more interested in making a multimedia device than a gaming console. There are some cool ideas behind the Xbox One but nothing that is compelling me to pick it up on day one. If I was more of a sports fan and was invested in fantasy leagues I would be excited, I can already tell that a few of my friends are going to love the fantasy integration.
On the topic of cable integration and being able to watch tv through the system, I don't really care. Much like TVii I would never use it because I don't have a cable subscription and don't care to get one.
I'll hold off on the Xbox One untill Halo 5 comes out.

Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
That was a pretty bad conference. Barely any games shown and huge emphasis on multimedia stuff, especially sports. Just shows that they're really trying to market this towards a wider audience. But for the unveiling of a gaming console, you have to show some games too. Plus, most of the new stuff they showed was related to the new Kinect... which I have some big doubts about after the first Kinect. The Xbox One name... the anti-used games stance... I don't know what Microsoft is doing.

PlayStation 4 has some cool new features that I think would benefit games, like the sharing and streaming functionality. Does Xbox One have anything like that? Who knows. Microsoft sure didn't tell us about it. That's why I get video game consoles... for the games. And hate on Nintendo all you want, but at least they add most features to supplement games. And props to Sony for going down that route now as well. They're also adding features to supplement games. I've been more and more impressed with Sony after the PS3 and they're doing some great things. Microsoft however... I don't know what they're doing.

I am looking forward to E3 though. That's when surely we'll see a focus on games for Xbox One. Actually, I think this E3 will be a huge focus on the games all around. Wii U has been out and we're waiting on the games. PS4 and Xbox One have been unveiled and we want to see games. So E3 I think is gonna be focused around the games and not all this other entertainment related stuff as much, so I'm excited to see games.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Post XBox One Unveiled
I missed the conference (completely forgot about it), but from what I've read, the One seems to be about on par with PS4. Or, they're about the same as PS3 and 360 are. Sure, they showed it as an entertainment device, but we already know it can play games. They basically did what Sony did and saved the stuff we want for E3 and got the boring stuff out of the way now.

That aside, the updated Kinect is impressive. It has really improved since its introduction. The update on the controller is nice as well. Subtle design changes keep it fresh, without losing the comfort it already has. The improved D-pad is a much needed change as well.

Overall, it seems like it wasn't a bad reveal. Some good stuff, some mediocre stuff, and some boring stuff. Box looks a bit odd, though, like it is split down the middle. I imagine the conference itself was pretty lackluster, but the news that came out of it was pretty decent, much like the PS4 event.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:57 am
Mr. Game & Watch

I don't see any reason to get this over a PS4, they both seem fairly similar in the next gen. I'm going to go with a PS4 since I've already pretty much committed to sticking with Sony. I'm also excited for more Vita connectivity.

Mon May 27, 2013 10:29 pm
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I think MS shot themselves in the foot with this one. A number of my friends and family that supported the 360 are pretty mad about this new one and a few said that it's time to get a Wii U. Others will be boarding the Sony train.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Tue May 28, 2013 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Post XBox One Unveiled
Gamer Greg wrote:
I think MS shot themselves in the foot with this one. A number of my friends and family that supported the 360 are pretty mad about this new one and a few said that it's time to get a Wii U. Others will be boarding the Sony train.

Why are they even angry? There's hardly anything to be upset about, other than they added new features that aren't gaming related? So, they're mad about the ability to do more things alongside what they've been able to do? There are definitely things they /could/ be mad about, but nothing that has been confirmed yet.

And LOL at WiiU being an alternative.

Tue May 28, 2013 3:21 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
schmete wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:

Why are they even angry? There's hardly anything to be upset about, other than they added new features that aren't gaming related? So, they're mad about the ability to do more things alongside what they've been able to do? There are definitely things they /could/ be mad about, but nothing that has been confirmed yet.

I'm assuming they are mad about things like the always on stuff, fees for used games, and no backward compatibility... but that's just an assumption.

I've actually heard a lot of people saying they are now considering a Wii U after they've heard about the XBOne. Guessing that a few of them had been waiting to see what Sony and Microsoft had to offer before making their decision. But who knows. All I know is that I have heard that many are doing that.

Tue May 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

I thought the systems reveal was pretty fabulous. We finally have a system that is capable of letting us watch the number one daytime gameshow, The Price is Right, with Skype integration allowing us to talk with out friends as we watch the contestants play Plinko and other timeless games like That's Too Much too. They really sold me on the system with that.

At this point in time am trying to weight out the pros and cons to each next gen console and try to see how they fit into my own tastes. Nintendo seems to be lacking on the games front thus far and it doesn't look like its getting better taking over a year to finally get a killer app on the console, though I have a lukewarm response to that game. Xbox's showing seemed to confirm their path and approach taken at the ending years of the previous gen, so I am a bit cautious of picking up their system and having to pay even more out of the box each month (Live, and then the various streaming services and what not. Though if they can really surprise with some really interesting new ips and good games then I may be willing too. At this point, Ill continue my savings towards the, in my opinion, best system of the next gen.

Tue May 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
schmete wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:

I'm assuming they are mad about things like the always on stuff, fees for used games, and no backward compatibility... but that's just an assumption.

I've actually heard a lot of people saying they are now considering a Wii U after they've heard about the XBOne. Guessing that a few of them had been waiting to see what Sony and Microsoft had to offer before making their decision. But who knows. All I know is that I have heard that many are doing that.

Pretty much the used games/licenses fees and the no backward compatibility. The 360 played some Xbox games, MS came right out and said it won't play 360 stuff. People like their digital purchases and want to be able to play those games without having to have 2 boxes hooked up.

I also read today that the Xbox One will be region locked.

The Wii U wasn't the 'only' alternative, my cousin stated that he's ready to get one now after seeing what MS, Sony and Nintendo offered. It seemed to me he was going to stay Xbox One/PS4 this time around (he has 360/PS3/Wii), but the MS conference convinced him not to get the Xbox One, and replace that with the Wii U.

I've also read numerous comments of people not willing to support MS any longer. UK reported 845% increase in Wii U purchases after the Xbox One announcement.

Tue May 28, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Post XBox One Unveiled
It just seems stupid to make any kind of judgement at this point. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have given any solid details about the things people are apparently upset about, other than the lack of backward compatibility. Used game licenses and whatnot aren't even confirmed, and if they came from MS people, most of what they've said has either been taken back or contradicted by other MS people (sometimes the same person). We have no idea what the Live or PSN infrastructures will be either. So little is known and any kind of reaction other than asking "What else?" is a bad snap judgement with no good reasoning at this point.

And I don't think WiiU is much of an alternative for next gen stuff at this point. With so many developers moving away from the system, I don't see why you would go from a current gen system to the WiiU, which is, for the most part a current gen system. Very few next gen games are being announced for WiiU, and even Ninendo's first party software looks pretty close to, if not worse than, stuff on PS3/360. Nintendo itself hasn't even proven to people that they are capable of next-gen quality features.

Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
I agree, schmete. I also think it's a bit too early to make final judgements. But, people are doing it... and at least, in Europe, we are seeing Nintendo benefit from it.

Thu May 30, 2013 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
schmete wrote:
It just seems stupid to make any kind of judgement at this point. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have given any solid details about the things people are apparently upset about, other than the lack of backward compatibility. Used game licenses and whatnot aren't even confirmed, and if they came from MS people, most of what they've said has either been taken back or contradicted by other MS people (sometimes the same person). We have no idea what the Live or PSN infrastructures will be either. So little is known and any kind of reaction other than asking "What else?" is a bad snap judgement with no good reasoning at this point.

And I don't think WiiU is much of an alternative for next gen stuff at this point. With so many developers moving away from the system, I don't see why you would go from a current gen system to the WiiU, which is, for the most part a current gen system. Very few next gen games are being announced for WiiU, and even Ninendo's first party software looks pretty close to, if not worse than, stuff on PS3/360. Nintendo itself hasn't even proven to people that they are capable of next-gen quality features.

I do agree that it's definitely early. I'm just stating what I've heard from fellow friends/family/gamers. I can say with the current information, I am willing to pass on it. However, new news can convince me otherwise.

The Wii U just has the standard first party titles that most people love and enjoy. My cousin got the Wii for the games he likes (Zelda, Smash, Mariokart, etc). He does the majority of gaming on the 360 or PS3, but he does have some favorites that are first party Nintendo.

In regards to the looks, while I cannot do such a comparison, but it seems to be pretty solid for the most part. But when you have a jump (like Wii to Wii U, Xbox to 360, PS2 to PS3) there is a notable difference. It's true that Nintendo probably hasn't solidified the graphics for it yet, but that should come in time. As with 3rd parties and MS/Sony had to learn, Nintendo has to get it figured out as well. I'm not a graphical guru, but the games I have played have looked pretty good to me so far. As with any console, the prettiest games come in mid-late through the cycle, and Nintendo will have it all sorted out, if not sooner.

Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
I think the biggest reason people are criticizing Microsoft isn't the conference. Sure many thought it was not that great... but it's just a conference. I think the anti-used games approach they are rumored to be going for and the always online thing is what is bugging people. It's stuff that's not confirmed, but sources indicate things are heavily leaning in that direction. Personally I don't care about that stuff, but some people do.

But yes, it's still way too early. E3 is when we see games and will know more.

Fri May 31, 2013 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

$500. DRM. Online check ins.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:56 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Jack wrote:

Sony wins.

Hidden (Non-Spoiler): show
Nintendo is just in their own world focused on first party titles now, so I'm not comparing them.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Good games Microsoft had (Titanfall for example) but well, that price tag and then having to pay the pricey Xbox Live after that. Next gen seems a bit challenging for people to own both powerful HD twin consoles, so pricing is a bit more important than ever. The xbox culture is also kind of baffling with such leaders in position and the feelings expressed thus far, so I do not think I want to be apart of that just as yet...

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

DarkWish wrote:
Jack wrote:

Sony wins.

Nintendo is just in their own world focused on first party titles now, so I'm not comparing them.

True.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Jack wrote:
DarkWish wrote:
Jack wrote:

Sony wins.

True.

Agreed, flawless victory.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Word in town is that M$ made surprising announcements saying that a number of "features" are now reversed.

They have now defeated the "always on" part, licensing fees (used/sharing games), and the Xbox One is now region-free.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post XBox One Unveiled
Gamer Greg wrote:
Word in town is that M$ made surprising announcements saying that a number of "features" are now reversed.

They have now defeated the "always on" part, licensing fees (used/sharing games), and the Xbox One is now region-free.

Setting them up perfectly for the XBox 180... Oh well... At least it looks like they are getting their heads out of their butts a bit now.

-----
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
The Xbox One is pretty massive...

They have it on display at Microsoft stores.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Octorok

NNID: queenzelda
3DS Friend Code:
2750-1204-9758
Looks like an old school 80's VCR with how big that monstrosity looks. Holy bejesus! XD

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Cant really assess how massive it is from that image and nothing else side by side with it I think, but it does look pretty unvisually appealing.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Cant really assess how massive it is from that image and nothing else side by side with it I think, but it does look pretty unvisually appealing.

Yep, same feelings about both the PS3 and XB1. I think they could have spent more time in the design department. They look like what they are -- massive PC devices that play games and media -- but I think they could have done better.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next