It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:00 am

Forum rules

3 SIMPLE RULES FOR THE E3 EXPO 2013 FORUM:

1) The E3 Forums are designed primarily to discuss the press events and other E3-focused announcements.
2) Realize that the staff may move specific threads posted here into the existing forums after E3, so use discretion when creating new threads.*
3) Follow the NintendoFuse Forum Rules, and we shouldn't have any problems.

*The reason for this setup is to keep the E3 forum as clean, orderly, & organized as possible, as to make the process of transition easier when E3 is over.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Nintendo Decides to Change Approach for E3 2013 
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Nintendo Decides to Change Approach for E3 2013
So, if you haven't heard yet, Nintendo stated they will not present their typical large event for everyone. Instead, they will have multiple "small" events for different groups of people and/or platforms. What do you think about this? Is it a good move for them?

Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Post Nintendo Decides to Change Approach for E3 2013
It's an interesting move, I think. I don't know if it will be a good move, but I think it's a smart risk to take. I'm not exactly sure how Ninty is doing financially, but I do know the WiiU isn't performing as well as one would hope. This seems like a smart way to release information in a cost-efficient way that will get the info out to those that want it ASAP. The rest will inevitably get it through various outlets.

It is definitely a risk pulling away from a heavy presence at E3 for perception alone. Many will look at this move and say it's a sign that Nintendo is in dire trouble. I don't think that's the case, but I do think that perception can be damaging to their reputation and effect developer confidence, consumer confidence, etc. I think it's a progressive move on their part, which isn't typical of the company. Though, I think it would be best complimented by the introduction of an official blog (crazy that they don't have one) to announce the Directs - days in advance would be best. As long as Nintendo keeps pushing a web presence, I think it could be very beneficial. I don't know if they do this already, but making the Directs available to livestream through a web browser would make this much better as well.

Really, it all depends on how they handle the distribution and advertising of the streams.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 pm
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: Nintendo Decides to Change Approach for E3 2013
schmete wrote:
It's an interesting move, I think. I don't know if it will be a good move, but I think it's a smart risk to take. I'm not exactly sure how Ninty is doing financially, but I do know the WiiU isn't performing as well as one would hope. This seems like a smart way to release information in a cost-efficient way that will get the info out to those that want it ASAP. The rest will inevitably get it through various outlets.

It is definitely a risk pulling away from a heavy presence at E3 for perception alone. Many will look at this move and say it's a sign that Nintendo is in dire trouble. I don't think that's the case, but I do think that perception can be damaging to their reputation and effect developer confidence, consumer confidence, etc. I think it's a progressive move on their part, which isn't typical of the company. Though, I think it would be best complimented by the introduction of an official blog (crazy that they don't have one) to announce the Directs - days in advance would be best. As long as Nintendo keeps pushing a web presence, I think it could be very beneficial. I don't know if they do this already, but making the Directs available to livestream through a web browser would make this much better as well.

Really, it all depends on how they handle the distribution and advertising of the streams.

I agree. I think it's a move that can work for Nintendo, but they also need to advertise these Nintendo Directs. No springing them on us a day ahead, these ones in particular need to be announced a bit in advance.

Sat May 11, 2013 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
DarkWish wrote:
schmete wrote:

I agree. I think it's a move that can work for Nintendo, but they also need to advertise these Nintendo Directs. No springing them on us a day ahead, these ones in particular need to be announced a bit in advance.

I agree with that statement too. Financially, they still have a butt-load of cash left from the Wii era, so cash isn't really a problem for them even with the Wii U not "preforming" to expectations (I think its doing fine just a little slow out of the gate). Now, after having almost half of year of NinTen Directs, I am really excited every time their is a new one! I really like these direct presentations, they are very informative and I think Nintendo can gather a lot of feedback (especially on Mii-verse) month after month to improve their decisions in bringing great content. Every one has gotten better and better in my book.

So you see, from afar people only see just simple monthly presentations from them telling of future games. People should look closer and see this is a great way to get feedback from us on where we would like to see Nintendo go from that certain point.

I do agree though Nintendo should advertise the directs more, especially on the Wii U menu, instead of having to send a "message" and "open" it, but not even knowing what the message is in the first place so they might not even open as a result of not knowing, they should have a message pop up when the Wii U is turned on saying a new Nintendo direct is up to watch, that can garner a lot more viewings I think.

Sat May 11, 2013 4:49 pm
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

It depends on if they're doing it because they don't have enough to do a large presentation or if they have too much for one large presentation to be enough. Knowing Nintendo, it's probably the former. So yea, negative impressions all around.

Bobius,Thu, 10 Jan 2008, 21:29 wrote:
I shall assume Mike is right as he is Mike.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]