It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 pm



Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions 
Author Message
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Have you guys downloaded and played the Monster Hunter Ultimate demo for 3DS yet?

I have... for over 3 and half hours.

I was busy trying out all the different weapons, and it's a nice way to get a feel for all the different moves and button combinations without the threat of losing money and resources, as you would in the full game. I really like the hammer (my go-to weapon in Tri), the longsword, and the gunlance.

I was surprised by how well the game controlled... I didn't have a problem with moving the camera via the touchscreen, because the auto-lock feature compensates for the lack of a second analog stick in the heat of battle.

Have you ever played Monster Hunter before? What do you think of the demo? I'm trying to convince my friends who have never played a Monster Hunter game before to try the demo, but I'm worried it'll be a bit tricky for them... It took me a while before I fully understood how to play Tri.

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:07 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm
Posts: 1232
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
I tried it for all of 5 minutes, but haven't gone back to it yet. I haven't figured out the controls yet, but it seems okay. I've never played a MH game before, and if I did play this it would be single player for the most part. So far, I'm not too interested in it.


Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:41 pm
Profile
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
I feel like the demo caters more towards people who have already played previous Monster Hunter games. It doesn't do much to explain how to play, or ease the player into it. They just throw you into a mission and expect you to know what to do. The key to survival in Monster Hunter is dodging and using items, but neither of these are explained, and can be kind of difficult to figure out if you don't know what you're doing.

It's a shame that they can't release a demo that will bring in new players. Rather, I feel like it's intimidating for newcomers.

_________________
Image


Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Posts: 1593
Location: Boise, Idaho
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
I played the Wii U Monster Hunter Demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. I wasn't even sure what I was doing. I knew I had to go find some monster to kill but it didn't give me a tutorial. It really failed as a demo.


Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 pm
Profile
Space Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 63
3DS Friend Code:
0619-3199-4715
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
I played the demo for about 2 hours, and i'm impressed. I never played a monster hunter game before so i was a bit sceptical but it really delivered. can't wait for the game! :dslite:


Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:07 pm
Profile
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Weave wrote:
I played the Wii U Monster Hunter Demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. I wasn't even sure what I was doing. I knew I had to go find some monster to kill but it didn't give me a tutorial. It really failed as a demo.


Yeah, the demo does a poor job of explaining how to play. There IS a digital instruction manual, but that's a bit tedious to use. The full game does a decent job of teaching you how to play, but it's hard to justify going out and picking up the game if it ends up being something you don't like.

If, despite not understanding what you're doing, you can find some enjoyment in just killing the random monsters that appear around the demo, trying out the different weapons, and experimenting with attack combinations, then I'd suggest giving it a shot, and returning it or re-selling it if you end up not liking it. The game can last for hundreds of hours, and being able to craft new weapons, armor and items with the loot you scavenge from monsters and the environment is incredibly appealing to me, personally. Try watching some gameplay footage and trailers of Ultimate, and even Tri... if it piques your interest more than trying out the demo did, go for it. I found that I had to invest a bit of time into fully understanding the game, but after I got the hang of it I absolutely loved it.

Zeldaboy16 wrote:
I played the demo for about 2 hours, and i'm impressed. I never played a monster hunter game before so i was a bit sceptical but it really delivered. can't wait for the game! :dslite:


Well, I'm glad someone else enjoyed the demo, despite not having played the game! It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but your interest now is going to help to drive you through the somewhat steep learning curve when you pick up the full game. Once you get past that, it's easy to predict monster's movements and patterns, as well as your own attack combinations, so you can take out monsters more efficiently. I spent over 100 hours in Monster Hunter Tri, which only had 18 large monsters, while Monster Hunter Ultimate has a whopping 51... It's definitely a great value for those who enjoy the game!

_________________
Image


Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:42 am
Profile WWW
Lakitu
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Posts: 701
NNID: noahdp
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Which system would be the better way to play on Wii U or 3DS? Would a Wii U owner be able to play online with a 3DS owner?

_________________
NOAHDP


Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:54 pm
Profile
Space Pirate

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 pm
Posts: 53
3DS Friend Code:
1375-7552-3113
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Wii U is going to be the superior version. You can connect locally with 3DS systems from your Wii U, and you can, with your Wii U, bring other 3DS systems online, but there will be no wireless online play for the 3DS unless you connect through Wii U, only local play with a wii u and other 3ds systems.


Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 am
Profile
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Mnemosy wrote:
Wii U is going to be the superior version.


See, I have a couple friends who are into Monster Hunter, so I'd have some good opportunities to play multiplayer missions with them. The main draw of the 3DS version for me, personally, is the portability. Online was fun, but it wasn't always that easy to find people who were at my level to hunt with.

I heard about the $20 discount when you purchase the 3DS and Wii U versions on Amazon, but I'm a bit conflicted. That's like buying the Wii U version and getting the 3DS one for $20 extra, but I was planning on downloading the 3DS version to have it with me at all times, like Fire Emblem.

I have a friend who will probably end up picking up the Wii U version, so I guess I'll be spending a lot of time hanging out with him when the game comes out! :P

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am
Posts: 2588
Location: The Wall
NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
From reading the impressions of the demo, I decided not to try it out since I found out I was getting NintendoFuse's review copy (both 3DS and Wii U). I'm also a first timer, having this game strongly recommended from the joys of the Mariokart 7 tournament.

Now, this game is certainly interesting, and to me feels like a fair comparison to Skyrim; at least the solo mode. Get quests, complete quests, get more quests... Explore, explore some more, kill monsters and those in your way, return to town, sell off your junk, store stuff you'll need eventually... That last part I didn't discover until I was ready to turn it off last night, so I'd been discarding lots of stuff I may eventually need...

I felt that the game was fun, but still very hard to teach you stuff you need to know. You are already swarmed with prompts teaching you stuff, but I felt there is stuff I'd need to know beforehand. I also felt disappointed that the enemies you defeat do not get recorded in the monster bios, you actually have to purchase them. I also did much of the pre-game stuff, and completed my first 2 quests. The third I couldn't figure it out in 50 minutes so I failed.

In terms of weapons, I enjoyed the starting sword, but then I upgraded it and it became a great sword, which I absolutely hated. It was slow, clunky and hard to strike with. I then returned and forged myself some bone dual swords which is my type of style. I used that in Skyrim and worked out well for me there, so I may be sticking with that. I may try out the other weapons, but I shall see.

I haven't fought any large monsters yet, but everything I've come across has been a push over. I found some graphical glitches, unless it was intended to look like that. Basically there's a few enemies that when I defeat them, they lay on the ground with like a dizzy icon above them. I harvest them for their parts, then it stands up and gallops away and disappears like a ghost.

_________________
MARIOKART 7 OFFICIAL NINTENDOFUSE COMMUNITY CODES:

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349


Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Space Pirate

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 pm
Posts: 53
3DS Friend Code:
1375-7552-3113
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Gamer Greg wrote:
I found some graphical glitches, unless it was intended to look like that. Basically there's a few enemies that when I defeat them, they lay on the ground with like a dizzy icon above them. I harvest them for their parts, then it stands up and gallops away and disappears like a ghost.

Those are Kelbi, the game just doesn't want you to be able to kill them. You just knock them out, harvest some parts (antlers/fur) and then let them go, since they are totally peaceful animals. If you're referring to the galloping away and disappearing, it just wants to de-spawn them so you can't keep farming the game Kelbi for parts.


Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm
Profile
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am
Posts: 2588
Location: The Wall
NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions


Did some Gameplay footage for my review, and overnight almost topped my Epic Mickey 2 Video in viewership.

Glad I made that available so soon before I write my review. Nice to see hits already.

_________________
MARIOKART 7 OFFICIAL NINTENDOFUSE COMMUNITY CODES:

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349


Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Gamer Greg wrote:
I felt that the game was fun, but still very hard to teach you stuff you need to know. You are already swarmed with prompts teaching you stuff, but I felt there is stuff I'd need to know beforehand. I also felt disappointed that the enemies you defeat do not get recorded in the monster bios, you actually have to purchase them. I also did much of the pre-game stuff, and completed my first 2 quests. The third I couldn't figure it out in 50 minutes so I failed.


I'm really glad that you're enjoying the game, and still understand that there's kind of a steep learning curve. It took me a while before I got REALLY into the game... I think it was around the time I fought the Royal Ludroth. In Tri, you had to "scan" large monsters to get their bios, but that's not present in this game. The bios are all relatively cheap, and I managed to buy all of them the first time I went to the store, but it's still not quite as fun!

I'm kind of curious to know what quest you couldn't figure out! Some of them can seem quite obtuse and/or confusing if you've never played a Monster Hunter game before.

Gamer Greg wrote:

In terms of weapons, I enjoyed the starting sword, but then I upgraded it and it became a great sword, which I absolutely hated. It was slow, clunky and hard to strike with. I then returned and forged myself some bone dual swords which is my type of style. I used that in Skyrim and worked out well for me there, so I may be sticking with that. I may try out the other weapons, but I shall see.


I'd suggest trying out the hammer. It's powerful and moderately fast, and you can roll out of the way of danger. I used it a lot in Tri, but now I'm trying out the gunlance. It's much harder to avoid strong hits with, but its Wyvern Fire is oh-so powerful.

_________________
Image


Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am
Posts: 2588
Location: The Wall
NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Oreanta wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:
I felt that the game was fun, but still very hard to teach you stuff you need to know. You are already swarmed with prompts teaching you stuff, but I felt there is stuff I'd need to know beforehand. I also felt disappointed that the enemies you defeat do not get recorded in the monster bios, you actually have to purchase them. I also did much of the pre-game stuff, and completed my first 2 quests. The third I couldn't figure it out in 50 minutes so I failed.


I'm really glad that you're enjoying the game, and still understand that there's kind of a steep learning curve. It took me a while before I got REALLY into the game... I think it was around the time I fought the Royal Ludroth. In Tri, you had to "scan" large monsters to get their bios, but that's not present in this game. The bios are all relatively cheap, and I managed to buy all of them the first time I went to the store, but it's still not quite as fun!

I'm kind of curious to know what quest you couldn't figure out! Some of them can seem quite obtuse and/or confusing if you've never played a Monster Hunter game before.


I figured it out last night. It was getting Monster Guts, *1 - #3. I wasn't fighting the proper monster for it. I was turned off since when I started going that way, I got warned of a giant monster, so I explored every other region. Then I assumed I had to fight that for the guts and died twice. Then it relocated to the other water map and I found the monster I needed swimming in that region he was guarding.

I then completed my first urgent quest and killed those yellow monsters (quite easily!), so that was good. I thought they'd be tougher, but it was just a couple of slashes like other monsters I've fought.

Oreanta wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:

In terms of weapons, I enjoyed the starting sword, but then I upgraded it and it became a great sword, which I absolutely hated. It was slow, clunky and hard to strike with. I then returned and forged myself some bone dual swords which is my type of style. I used that in Skyrim and worked out well for me there, so I may be sticking with that. I may try out the other weapons, but I shall see.


I'd suggest trying out the hammer. It's powerful and moderately fast, and you can roll out of the way of danger. I used it a lot in Tri, but now I'm trying out the gunlance. It's much harder to avoid strong hits with, but its Wyvern Fire is oh-so powerful.


I'll give that a shot. Is there an easy way to change the equipped items? It seems I have one of each, but couldn't find the screen to change my weapon. Or do I need to forge a hammer?

I'm definitely not a sniper type, so I know those weapons will be horrible for me. I learned the hard way with Kid Icarus Uprising, I'm a brawler and not a sniper.

_________________
MARIOKART 7 OFFICIAL NINTENDOFUSE COMMUNITY CODES:

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349


Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am
Posts: 2588
Location: The Wall
NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
I downloaded the 3DS App yesterday and it said I needed to delete my save file to do a transfer. So, how do I delete a save file? There's no menu options, nothing in the 3DS settings, nothing about it in the transfer application...?

I had no idea how the transfer thing would work until last week, so I had started a game on the 3DS (about an hour of play), and then started one on Wii U when I tried to transfer without the App. So now I have 2 games and 2 different save files, but want to continue the one that I poured my sweat into on the Wii U, but play it on the 3DS. The App says to delete my save file, but I don't seem to have the ability to do so. Anyone know how to do it?

_________________
MARIOKART 7 OFFICIAL NINTENDOFUSE COMMUNITY CODES:

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349


Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Lakitu
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Posts: 701
NNID: noahdp
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Gamer Greg wrote:
I downloaded the 3DS App yesterday and it said I needed to delete my save file to do a transfer. So, how do I delete a save file? There's no menu options, nothing in the 3DS settings, nothing about it in the transfer application...?

I had no idea how the transfer thing would work until last week, so I had started a game on the 3DS (about an hour of play), and then started one on Wii U when I tried to transfer without the App. So now I have 2 games and 2 different save files, but want to continue the one that I poured my sweat into on the Wii U, but play it on the 3DS. The App says to delete my save file, but I don't seem to have the ability to do so. Anyone know how to do it?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/0 ... _save_data

_________________
NOAHDP


Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm
Profile
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Gamer Greg wrote:
I'll give that a shot. Is there an easy way to change the equipped items? It seems I have one of each, but couldn't find the screen to change my weapon. Or do I need to forge a hammer?

I'm definitely not a sniper type, so I know those weapons will be horrible for me. I learned the hard way with Kid Icarus Uprising, I'm a brawler and not a sniper.


If you go to your Item Box in Moga village and scroll down, you can manage your equipment. You start out with one of each weapon, and you can easily select/equip them from there! :)

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Lakitu
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Posts: 701
NNID: noahdp
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Wow I am making allot of progress fast! On Tri I got stuck on the Royal Ludroth. Now On Ultimate I am on the five star quests. Not really sure how I got far so quick.

_________________
NOAHDP


Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 pm
Profile
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
noahdp wrote:
Wow I am making allot of progress fast! On Tri I got stuck on the Royal Ludroth. Now On Ultimate I am on the five star quests. Not really sure how I got far so quick.


I've been getting by quickly, too. Understanding how the monsters and weapons work certainly plays a part in how fast/effectively one can get through the different missions.

I didn't even die until after I fought the Duramboros, which surprised me quite a bit!

I've been using the Gunlance, and it's awesome. Wyvern Fire is incredibly powerful, and the shield is a handy thing to have. On Tri, I used the Hammer all the time, so I'm trying to test out a variety of different weapons. I also like the Long Sword, Dual Swords, and I'll be practising with the Heavy Gunlance for when my friend and I do some local multiplayer missions.

_________________
Image


Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Also, I've been working on a Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate guide for the site... it'll go up piece by piece, as each part can take a little while to make, but I wouldn't mind compiling it as a .PDF when the whole thing's done!

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am
Posts: 2588
Location: The Wall
NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Just completed my first capture quest, it was sort of tough for an early quest. Now I'm getting set on fire by a wyvern battle which isn't any more fun.

_________________
MARIOKART 7 OFFICIAL NINTENDOFUSE COMMUNITY CODES:

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349


Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Lakitu
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Posts: 701
NNID: noahdp
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Gamer Greg wrote:
Just completed my first capture quest, it was sort of tough for an early quest. Now I'm getting set on fire by a wyvern battle which isn't any more fun.

Fire isn't fun at all. Poison is worse though just wait until you have to fight the Gigginox.

_________________
NOAHDP


Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am
Profile
Bob-omb
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Saskatchewan!
3DS Friend Code:
4553-9962-6820
Post Re: Monster Hunter Ultimate 3DS Demo Impressions
Well, here's the shameless plug for the first part of that Monster Hunter Ultimate guide I was working on:

http://www.nintendofuse.com/2013/04/04/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-weapons-guide-chapter-1-part-a-sword-and-shield/

It outlines the pros and cons of the Sword and Shield weapon, and gives a couple little tips for using it. The first chapter outlines all 12 of the different weapons, and in the next chapters I'll try to focus on quest preparation strategies, monster hunting tips, and information about some of the first monsters you'll face.

noahdp wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:
Just completed my first capture quest, it was sort of tough for an early quest. Now I'm getting set on fire by a wyvern battle which isn't any more fun.

Fire isn't fun at all. Poison is worse though just wait until you have to fight the Gigginox.


The first time I fought a Purple Ludroth, that poison drove me crazy! I managed to beat him, but it was a close match... I used up all my potions and antidote herbs! Just be happy you won't have to face him for a couple dozen hours, Greg! :P

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum style by ST Software.