It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Playstation 4 Announcement: Tomorrow at 6PM EST (2/20) 
Mr. Game & Watch

Post Playstation 4 Announcement: Tomorrow at 6PM EST (2/20)
Well, here we go. Time to see what Sony has up their sleeves for the next generation.

https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
5000+ Club

Post Re: Playstation 4 Announcement: Tomorrow at 6PM EST (2/20)
Excited to see what Playstation and Sony bring to the table this year.

Hoping its no more than (249.99, price I guess will happen at E3), has some racing games at launch (GT5/LBPKarting2) and a Hot Shots Golf Launch Game, and some new IP and franchises from Uncharted Developers, inFAMOUS folks, and the Heavy Rain makers.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Darn, I'll be in class until 6:40 pm. I guess I'll catch up on the news afterwards. I'm looking forward to the reveal! It's always fun to see new consoles. I'm curious as to what games it'll have and everything, as well as all its new main features... but really, I just want to see more about how it'll change the way we play games. What will it do better? Seems the main innovation in the controller is the touchpad, so I want to see how that's going to improve games. And the whole deal with streaming games (like PS3 games supposedly)... that sounds intriguing, so I want to know more. So I'm looking forward to what Sony has. Honestly, I feel like the Durango is gonna be more innovative than Orbis... but I'm still curious as to what Orbis will bring to the table. Should be neat to see.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Lakitu

NNID: noahdp
I belive it will cost 400 dollars or 500 dollars at the most, and 300 at the least.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Hoping its no more than (249.99, price I guess will happen at E3)

LOL oh boy you're in for a rude awakening. Can I save this to laugh later? $250... that's hilarious. Although yes, the price will probably be revealed at E3.

noahdp wrote:
I belive it will cost 400 dollars or 500 dollars at the most, and 300 at the least.

Latest Kotaku rumor suggests $430 and $530 as the prices. Regardless, don't expect any pricing details today. That'll probably be for E3 or after.

I'm also rather curious about the name. Will they go with the typical PS4? Will they use the codename "Orbis"? Or something different? I'm guessing it'll be PS4, but we'll see. I like having more original names... but from a marketing standpoint, sometimes something straightforward works best. See Wii U for example... doesn't specify that it's a new system in the name, so there is confusion. So we'll see what happens there.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
DarkWish wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Hoping its no more than (249.99, price I guess will happen at E3)

LOL oh boy you're in for a rude awakening. Can I save this to laugh later? $250... that's hilarious. Although yes, the price will probably be revealed at E3.

noahdp wrote:

Latest Kotaku rumor suggests $430 and $530 as the prices. Regardless, don't expect any pricing details today. That'll probably be for E3 or after.

I'm also rather curious about the name. Will they go with the typical PS4? Will they use the codename "Orbis"? Or something different? I'm guessing it'll be PS4, but we'll see. I like having more original names... but from a marketing standpoint, sometimes something straightforward works best. See Wii U for example... doesn't specify that it's a new system in the name, so there is confusion. So we'll see what happens there.

Yeah, even though they probably learned a lot from their overpriced PS3 launch, parts still cost a certain amount of money. If Nintendo had to bump up their usual price, and Sony will probably try to "outdo" them in power, then we can safely assume it will be more than a Wii U. Nonetheless, we will probably find out no earlier than E3.

As for the name, I cannot see them dropping the Playstation name at all, especially after how they've marketed this, and people know that name so well. However, I could see them possibly going away from a numeral-name and going with something like Playstation Orbis, similar to how they did with the Playstation Vita.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Woot I got what I wanted
Infamous: Second Son coming to the platform and a new engine from the Quantic Dream team of Heavy Rain and Beyond.
ImageImage

A bit sad its not a backwards compatible platform, but Ill still keep my ps3 to play games physically, dont think I want to rebuy stuff to play it to stream to PS4.

Getting it on day 1, infamous sold me on it, and the list of developers was huge.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Overall, it was mostly what was expected. The PS4 is indeed a powerhouse, but we didn't get much on the games side of things. I'm sure we'll get more at E3 and at later times. For me, the only thing that truly stood out for the PS4 were some of the features like easy sharing and streaming of gameplay videos, as well as being able to play a game as soon as you start downloading it. Those are pretty neat features.

Interesting they didn't show the PS4 itself. I guess we have to wait until E3 for that.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Playstation 4 Announcement: Tomorrow at 6PM EST (2/20)
DarkWish wrote:
Overall, it was mostly what was expected. The PS4 is indeed a powerhouse, but we didn't get much on the games side of things. I'm sure we'll get more at E3 and at later times. For me, the only thing that truly stood out for the PS4 were some of the features like easy sharing and streaming of gameplay videos, as well as being able to play a game as soon as you start downloading it. Those are pretty neat features.

Interesting they didn't show the PS4 itself. I guess we have to wait until E3 for that.

Of those features, what requires a new console, though? I'm thinking the playing at start of download is possibly it. However, that will still depend on a user's broadband, in the end.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
DarkWish wrote:

Of those features, what requires a new console, though? I'm thinking the playing at start of download is possibly it. However, that will still depend on a user's broadband, in the end.

Well the biggest thing is that it's integrated into the system. Sure someone else like Nintendo could start streaming gameplay and everything, but it would be on a game-by-game basis. That tends to mean not much support. Plus, the massive amount of RAM in the PS4 allows for it to process all of this stuff and multitask. So I would say these features do require a new console to be done well.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

hattrick wrote:
DarkWish wrote:

Pretty much all of it. The uploading of gameplay video is done in the background thanks to multi-processing (or something). That's also what lets it download in the background, and download with the main power off.

I'm pretty happy with the announcement, and will attempt to get a PS4 on day one, especially since I already decided that it would be my next-gen console.

And it isn't RAM that allows it to upload in the background.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Fire Flower

DarkWish wrote:
Well the biggest thing is that it's integrated into the system. Sure someone else like Nintendo could start streaming gameplay and everything, but it would be on a game-by-game basis. That tends to mean not much support. Plus, the massive amount of RAM in the PS4 allows for it to process all of this stuff and multitask. So I would say these features do require a new console to be done well.

Features Chosen By Design

3DV Systems demoed the Kinect technology to Nintendo at the end of 2007. Nintendo turned down the technology because of concerns with cost and latency. Similarly, Nintendo has stated that they have looked into cloud and streaming technologies and determined that there is too much lag over the Internet for it to be practical at this time.

"3DV showed off a camera that detected motion in 3D, and had voice recognition - but Iwata-San was unconvinced he could sell it at a Nintendo price point. He also had some worries around latency during gameplay."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/23 ... natal-tech

Iwata: “By the laws of physics, it always takes some time to transmit data, and given the current level of internet technology, there is bound to be some latency during the processes of a server receiving data, producing images instantly and sending them back.”

"There are many things that cloud gaming cannot do by design, but this fact has not been communicated well to the public, and I find it strange that many people claim that cloud gaming is the future."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... bile-looms

Nintendo has the capability to expand their streaming technology from local only to the Internet once Internet technologies become capable of providing the quality that Nintendo deems acceptable.

“The tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's use well outside the house, say to a local Starbucks, through Wi-Fi.”

Bekis: "Currently the Wi-Fi connection is peer-to-peer-based and using the GamePad outside the home would require a networked connection to the console; this is something that is a possibility for the future but is not in place today,"
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/16/36532 ... st-gamepad

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Wario

It's definitely a day 1 buy. Sony managed to create tons of new IPs this generation that have me excited for more. Uncharted, Infamous, little big planet, heavy rain, Last of us. Nintendo and Microsoft haven't brought anything new to the table that has caught my attention.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]