It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Where are WiiWare and Virtual Console on the Wii U eShop? 
Wario

Post Where are WiiWare and Virtual Console on the Wii U eShop?
NintendoFuse News

eShop_logo_highres

Since the Wii U launched in November 2012, customers have been jumping on the digital-download bandwagon. Following the decision to offer many “full-price” games on the eShop for Nintendo 3DS, this time around, Nintendo has decided to make the vast majority of its console retail releases also available via the eShop. In addition, they have their own digital-only games available.

In my opinion, this is a great move. However, two things that are obviously missing are WiiWare and Virtual Console. On the surface, one might think this is just something Nintendo is not able to do, and we just have to deal with it. That sounds okay, except they have moved DSiWare over to the eShop on the Nintendo 3DS, so why not do the same for the eShop on the Wii U? Sure, you can still access WiiWare and Virtual Console games via the Wii Shop on the Wii channel, but who wants to go through all that trouble just to play a game? In fact, I assume it only hurts the digital market for those games.

I really enjoy playing my digitally downloaded Wii games, but I find myself not playing them lately, because the process to do so is so clunky and inconvenient. Nintendo, please move WiiWare and Virtual Console games to the eShop on Wii U!

What do you think? Should Nintendo offer all digital Wii games on the eShop for Wii U? Should the Wii be offered as a Wii U channel, as it is now? Should they do something else? Chime in via the comments below or in our forums.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:01 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Where are WiiWare and Virtual Console on the Wii U eShop
Definitely agree with this post. Why isn't the Wii stuff there yet? Why the separation?

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
I think I understand the separation. Wii was hacked like crazy, and the way Nintendo did the Wii implementation was basically contain it all to a little section in Wii U. I think they were afraid that if they were to integrate the Wii Shop Channel with the Wii U eShop, then hackers would be able to tear it apart fast. People will argue that hackers will hack anything... but the DSi still has not been hacked to this day. That's why DSiWare was probably integrated into the 3DS eShop. So I think this is one reason. I don't necessarily agree with this reason and it'd be nice to have the integration, but I understand why Nintendo did this.

The other reason I think is confusion for customers possibly. WiiWare and Wii Virtual Console titles cannot be played with the Wii U GamePad, which is the primary form of control for Wii U. Integrating them into the same shop might confuse consumers as to what titles would use it and what wouldn't. If they use a Wii controller, they can access a Wii Shop... if they use a Wii U controller, they can access a Wii U shop. It makes sense that way. A 3DS and a DS are obviously very similar in terms of control methods for DSiWare titles, so that's no surprise there as to why they were integrated. I think since the GamePad is a huge focus obviously for Wii U, they want the Wii U eShop to be compatible with the Wii U GamePad... hence why they're making a Wii U Virtual Console that will work with it.

So I understand why Nintendo separated it all. Do I agree with it? Not really. I mean, I don't really have a problem with it right now as I don't really use that stuff much anyways... but I wish they'd find some other way to integrate it all. But it hasn't really bothered me as it is, mainly because I just haven't used it much.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
The DSi was hacked, but firmware updates keep foiling plans.

I just don't understand why they cannot make the games work with the Wii U GamePad. Create an overall patch for them or something to map Wii Remote to GamePad controls. And if just Wii Remote, then say that on the GamePad screen. Or encourage devs to patch their own games. There has to be some answer.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
The DSi was hacked, but firmware updates keep foiling plans.

The DSi was not hacked. It could play DS flashcards, which is what firmware updates were blocking. But DSi-specific features like the camera, DSiWare, or anything like that were never hacked.

hattrick wrote:
I just don't understand why they cannot make the games work with the Wii U GamePad. Create an overall patch for them or something to map Wii Remote to GamePad controls. And if just Wii Remote, then say that on the GamePad screen. Or encourage devs to patch their own games. There has to be some answer.

Same reason DS games can't access the 3DS menu to check the web browser or friend list while in-game. The games are not coded to be able to do that. Boot up any Wii-related software and the game's code does not have anything GamePad related there. Whether that's displaying "Wii Remote only" on the GamePad screen or anything... it's impossible to have the GamePad connected because the game's code doesn't allow for that type of device to be connected since it didn't exist during that time.

The only way it would be possible would be to patch the games on a game-by-game basis... but imagine that nightmare. Many developers wouldn't bother because rather than patch their older games, they'd work on new Wii U titles. Or some of them may not find it cost effective if they didn't make enough money on WiiWare to begin with. Might not be worth it to them to get GamePad connectivity involved. And imagine as a consumer trying to go to the shop and figuring out which WiiWare games support the GamePad and which don't and to what extent... it would be extremely fragmented. The Wii situation already was fragmented with some games using Wii Remotes or Classic Controllers or maybe a Nunchuk was needed as well. No need to make it more confusing for the consumer.

So that's why the answer is a Wii U Virtual Console. Where these games are programmed with the GamePad's code in them so the GamePad can be used. It's very ineffective to go back to every single WiiWare and Virtual Console title and update them. As much as that sounds good, it's just not feasible. Having said that... to ease people's concerns, Nintendo should find a way to allow Wii U owners with Wii Virtual Console titles to either game the Wii U Virtual Console equivalent for free or for a discounted price. That is, if the Wii U Virtual Console has the same games that the Wii Virtual Console does. While it's not possible for them to update the Wii games, at least offering the Wii U versions for free or cheap would be a compromise I'd say.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
I actually heard from some that they were able to hack the DSi and access the camera and such. Maybe they were wrong, but I do remember hearing that, because I remember getting excited. I also thought we talked about it on a podcast one time.. Maybe not. I dunno...

Maybe the DSiWare games cannot access the 3DS Home menu, but you can still store them on your main menu. That's all I ask for. Also, you can still push the Home button and get an option to back out of the game. That would be fine with me too if they did the same thing on the Wii U.

Or, as you said, port over the Virtual Console, at least. They should be able to write some software that looks at your Wii U saves and see if you already have the game on your system, and if you do, then you can redownload it from the eShop. It just seems like the digital transition from the DSi to 3DS was MUCH smoother than the one from Wii to Wii U. That upsets me. I don't like fragmented stuff, especially in this modern age we live in.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

The one thing that would make me happiest about this whole Wii to Wii U data transfer would be having the option to use the Wii U Pro Controller with VC games. Or some sort of USB to GCN hookup device for VC and Wii games that support GCN controllers. I don't mind the Wii menu within the Wii U menu it actually is pretty smooth.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Weave wrote:
The one thing that would make me happiest about this whole Wii to Wii U data transfer would be having the option to use the Wii U Pro Controller with VC games. Or some sort of USB to GCN hookup device for VC and Wii games that support GCN controllers. I don't mind the Wii menu within the Wii U menu it actually is pretty smooth.

It is rather smooth, but it's annoying to have so many digital games hiding in another app. I often forget they are there and never play them because of it. I do agree with you. The Pro controller is really nice, and I'd love to use it more, especially on GCN games or ones I used a GCN controller, like Brawl.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weave wrote:

If or when they add GamePad support, I imagine there would be support for this controller as well. I thought at some point this year we'd start getting VC updates, if I remember that correctly.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
I actually heard from some that they were able to hack the DSi and access the camera and such. Maybe they were wrong, but I do remember hearing that, because I remember getting excited. I also thought we talked about it on a podcast one time.. Maybe not. I dunno...

I stand corrected. I just looked it up and there was some sort of DSi hack. However... it was very limited and nothing like DSiWare was accessible. So it wasn't much of a hack since it didn't do much as far as I can tell from what I'm reading.

hattrick wrote:
Maybe the DSiWare games cannot access the 3DS Home menu, but you can still store them on your main menu. That's all I ask for. Also, you can still push the Home button and get an option to back out of the game. That would be fine with me too if they did the same thing on the Wii U.

But it's not really the same thing. A DS and a 3DS are similar control methods. The GamePad is not the same thing as a Wii Remote. I don't know if that makes sense or not... but I'll try and explain. A 3DS has a HOME button, which the DS does not. So pressing it allowed you to exit back to the menu. A Wii Remote or a Wii controller is used to play anything Wii-related... but there are no extra buttons to exit you out of the game. Pressing the HOME button couldn't take you to the Wii U menu since the code for the game doesn't know what a Wii U menu is. The only reason the 3DS could do it is because it was a system-wide feature... not built into each game. And it was a brand new button not found on the DS. Sure the Wii U GamePad has those new buttons... but you can't turn on a Wii U GamePad while Wii software is running because it's not compatible.

Hopefully that makes sense. I totally get what you're saying and that would be a better situation, but I can see the challenge it is for Nintendo to implement something like that. The problem is that Nintendo wasn't thinking of future-proofing their system. So they didn't plan ahead for how to implement Wii stuff into Wii U and so that's why it's a very weird implementation. Because there isn't another easier way since they didn't think ahead.

hattrick wrote:
Or, as you said, port over the Virtual Console, at least. They should be able to write some software that looks at your Wii U saves and see if you already have the game on your system, and if you do, then you can redownload it from the eShop. It just seems like the digital transition from the DSi to 3DS was MUCH smoother than the one from Wii to Wii U. That upsets me. I don't like fragmented stuff, especially in this modern age we live in.

Well, they can't port over the existing Virtual Console for the reasons I mentioned earlier... the Wii U functionality wouldn't allow it to run. You might be able to boot up the game using the Wii U, but you couldn't exit out of it back to the Wii U menu, so that defeats the purpose. What I'm suggesting is that whenever Nintendo does their Wii U Virtual Console, they should allow those that bought Wii Virtual Console titles to download their respective Wii U versions (if they release the same content) for free or a reduced price. That should be technically possible. But unfortunately I have a feeling Nintendo won't do that.

Weave wrote:

That's not possible because Wii games can't recognize the Wii U Pro Controller. It's a different controller. The controller support is in the game's code, it wouldn't be able to recognize any Wii U controllers or anything from the USB ports that it wouldn't on Wii. The only way is if they patched each game to do that, but that would require a lot of work and they're never going to do that. It's just not feasible. So yea, it'd be great if they could... but it's not possible.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Yes, that's what I was referring to when I meant porting them over to Wii U -- not that they would just move them over, but they port them just like they did from the original consoles to the Wii or 3DS VC.

As for the other stuff, I just don't understand why a home button has to be the same on a different controller. Wouldn't they be able to map it to something else, no matter what it says on the controller? Or just make a universal code in the firmware that says whenever a button is pressed on a Wii Remote while in a Wii digital game, it translates to an action that pulls up a special, simplified screen that just takes you back to the Wii U menu. Of course, I'm not a programmer, so maybe this is much harder than I imagine, but in my head, it seems like a simple concept at least.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
hattrick wrote:
Yes, that's what I was referring to when I meant porting them over to Wii U -- not that they would just move them over, but they port them just like they did from the original consoles to the Wii or 3DS VC.

As for the other stuff, I just don't understand why a home button has to be the same on a different controller. Wouldn't they be able to map it to something else, no matter what it says on the controller? Or just make a universal code in the firmware that says whenever a button is pressed on a Wii Remote while in a Wii digital game, it translates to an action that pulls up a special, simplified screen that just takes you back to the Wii U menu. Of course, I'm not a programmer, so maybe this is much harder than I imagine, but in my head, it seems like a simple concept at least.

Hmm, well the HOME button has a function in Wii games already... to go to the Wii menu. So what you're proposing is to replace that functionality with something that allows you to go to the Wii U menu. That would require patching the games since that involves changing the game's code. It's not the same as with the 3DS since the HOME button is an entirely new button and the system has a feature built-in to allow you to exit back to the 3DS menu by pressing it. So the 3DS needs a new button to get back to its menu for DS related games, and so does Wii U. The Wii Remote is already mapped out in the Wii game's code, you can't modify the HOME button to open up a Wii U menu instead of a Wii.

Just like how a 3DS basically boots into a DS when you play DS software, a Wii U boots into a Wii when you play Wii software. The 3DS has a new HOME button that the system uses to force quit back to the 3DS menu... but the Wii U doesn't have that since the GamePad can't be turned on while Wii software is running, and the GamePad is the only thing with new buttons. Does that make sense? I can see what you're saying hattrick, but I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. At least from what I understand. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's why it's like that.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
DarkWish wrote:
hattrick wrote:

Hmm, well the HOME button has a function in Wii games already... to go to the Wii menu. So what you're proposing is to replace that functionality with something that allows you to go to the Wii U menu. That would require patching the games since that involves changing the game's code. It's not the same as with the 3DS since the HOME button is an entirely new button and the system has a feature built-in to allow you to exit back to the 3DS menu by pressing it. So the 3DS needs a new button to get back to its menu for DS related games, and so does Wii U. The Wii Remote is already mapped out in the Wii game's code, you can't modify the HOME button to open up a Wii U menu instead of a Wii.

Just like how a 3DS basically boots into a DS when you play DS software, a Wii U boots into a Wii when you play Wii software. The 3DS has a new HOME button that the system uses to force quit back to the 3DS menu... but the Wii U doesn't have that since the GamePad can't be turned on while Wii software is running, and the GamePad is the only thing with new buttons. Does that make sense? I can see what you're saying hattrick, but I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. At least from what I understand. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's why it's like that.

Ok, I think I understand now, because there is technically not a button that could be used to bring a user to the Wii U menu, because they are all already being used for something else. If it were to work, the original function of the Home button would have to be re-mapped to a different function. You are saying that would have to be done on a game-by-game basis instead of an overall patch for any Wii digital game played on a Wii U. I guess I understand that, but I just figured it would be easier than that, considering the world we live in today... but maybe I'm wrong, at least with Nintendo, who may not have planned for this.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Weave wrote:

Quote:
That's not possible because Wii games can't recognize the Wii U Pro Controller. It's a different controller. The controller support is in the game's code, it wouldn't be able to recognize any Wii U controllers or anything from the USB ports that it wouldn't on Wii. The only way is if they patched each game to do that, but that would require a lot of work and they're never going to do that. It's just not feasible. So yea, it'd be great if they could... but it's not possible.

The Wii U Pro controller could have contained the coding of a Wii Remote/ Classic Controller allowing VC games to recognize it. That wouldn't have required a game by game patch. It's doubtful that Nintendo would have used that coding and therefore it isn't feasible but it would have been a simple thing to do before the system launched. Really it's just laziness on Nintendo's part. No way to argue that.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 am
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Weave wrote:
The Wii U Pro controller could have contained the coding of a Wii Remote/ Classic Controller allowing VC games to recognize it. That wouldn't have required a game by game patch. It's doubtful that Nintendo would have used that coding and therefore it isn't feasible but it would have been a simple thing to do before the system launched. Really it's just laziness on Nintendo's part. No way to argue that.

I thought you were referring to the Wii U Pro Controller as is. Sure, if Nintendo were to have created it differently, that would have worked. But as is, it doesn't. I don't really agree, but I get what you're saying.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
DarkWish wrote:
Weave wrote:

I thought you were referring to the Wii U Pro Controller as is. Sure, if Nintendo were to have created it differently, that would have worked. But as is, it doesn't. I don't really agree, but I get what you're saying.

My friend got a Wii U Pro/Wii Classic controller. It's compatible with BOTH Wii U games and Wii games. It's a third party accessory, so it would be Nintendo's laziness to allow the pro controller to work.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Gamer Greg wrote:
My friend got a Wii U Pro/Wii Classic controller. It's compatible with BOTH Wii U games and Wii games. It's a third party accessory, so it would be Nintendo's laziness to allow the pro controller to work.

I've read a lot of reports of those controllers having problems by the way. But regardless, I wasn't disagreeing about that. I personally don't feel like Nintendo needed to make the Wii U Pro Controller compatible with Wii software because of brand confusion. They're having a tough time as is separating the Wii U and Wii stuff... making some Wii U branded controllers work with Wii stuff and not others would only mean more confusion. Just my personal thought. I totally get why people would want it to be compatible, but I personally don't need that functionality.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Well maybe if they hadn't recycled the Wii name they wouldn't be having this brand confusion.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Weave wrote:
Well maybe if they hadn't recycled the Wii name they wouldn't be having this brand confusion.

Agreed. I think that was a bad decision. If they had to keep the Wii name, even the Wii 2 would be much better. But ditching the Wii name would have been better for marketing purposes.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
DarkWish wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:

I've read a lot of reports of those controllers having problems by the way. But regardless, I wasn't disagreeing about that. I personally don't feel like Nintendo needed to make the Wii U Pro Controller compatible with Wii software because of brand confusion. They're having a tough time as is separating the Wii U and Wii stuff... making some Wii U branded controllers work with Wii stuff and not others would only mean more confusion. Just my personal thought. I totally get why people would want it to be compatible, but I personally don't need that functionality.

I'll pass that onto him. It was one that sorta looks like a SNES controller with the Wii U Pro design (sort of).

DarkWish wrote:
Weave wrote:

Agreed. I think that was a bad decision. If they had to keep the Wii name, even the Wii 2 would be much better. But ditching the Wii name would have been better for marketing purposes.

I didn't think it would cause the confusion that it did. I didn't care for the name, but yeah they really put themselves in a tough spot. To think they had similar problems with the 3DS and DS and they still went with Wii U knowing their last console was Wii.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]