Pokemon X/Y (6th Gen) Discussion 
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Pokemon X/Y (6th Gen) Discussion
UPDATE2: Pokemon X and Y box art revealed on 5/14/13:
ImageImage

UPDATE: 6th Gen games Pokemon X and Pokemon Y announced for 3DS on 1/8/13.

It's that time to speculate once again. We've had five generations of Pokemon and the 6th gen has to be coming soon. For reference, here are the current generations of Pokemon...

1st Gen: Red/Blue/Yellow (and Green in Japan)
2nd Gen: Gold/Silver/Crystal
3rd Gen: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (and FireRed/LeafGreen re-makes)
4th Gen: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (and HeartGold/SoulSilver re-makes)
5th Gen: Black/White/Black 2/White 2

Patterns indicate that we should be hearing about the 6th generation of Pokemon soon. The movies are the biggest clue, so let's take a look at them...

1) Pokemon: The First Movie - based on 1st gen
2) Pokemon: The Movie 2000 - based on 1st gen, includes some 2nd gen Pokemon
3) Pokemon 3: The Movie - based on 2nd gen
4) Pokemon 4Ever - based on 2nd gen
5) Pokemon Heroes - based on 3rd gen
6) Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker - based on 3rd gen
7) Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys - based on 3rd gen, includes some 4th gen Pokemon
8) Pokemon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew - based on 4th gen
9) Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea - based on 4th gen
10) Pokemon: The Rise of Darkrai - based on 4th gen
11) Pokemon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - based on 4th gen
12) Pokemon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life - based on 4th gen, includes some HeartGold/SoulSilver Pokemon
13) Pokemon: Zoroark: Master of Illusions - based on HeartGold/SoulSilver, includes some 5th gen Pokemon
14) Pokemon the Movie: White - Victini and Zekrom and Pokemon the Movie: Black - Victini and Reshiram - based on 5th gen
15) Pokemon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice - based on 5th gen
16) *Genesect movie, unknown title* - based on 5th gen, includes some 6th gen Pokemon?

Here's how the pattern goes. With new Pokemon movies on the horizon... we first hear about them in the summer time a year from release, and then December is when we usually find out something new about the movie, followed by more news in February, and then more news right before the release of the movie in the summer.

This past summer, we found out a 16th Pokemon movie was on the way and would feature Genesect. But here's the thing... there were no silhouettes or teasing or anything. It was just outright revealed Genesect will be featured in the movie. He's the last 5th gen Pokemon, and he's already been sent out for download via Wi-Fi! Why would they reveal Genesect's involvement in the movie so early?

If we look back at the 14th movie, we found out in the summer that a brand new Pokemon Victini would be featured in the movie. In December, it was revealed that Zekrom would be featured in the movie as well. And then in February, it was revealed they're actually doing two movies... one with Zekrom and one with Reshiram, similar to how there are two versions of the game.

Then with the 15th movie, in December we found out Kyurem and the musketeer trio would be in the movie. In February, Keldeo was publicly unveiled and revealed to be in the movie and Kyurem got two new formes (related to Black 2 and White 2). Then in the summer we got the final bit of news with Keldeo's Resolute Forme unveiled.

So my point is... the surprises were separated out to keep the hype for the movies going. But with this 16th movie, all the revealed Pokemon have already been shown. We know Genesect is in it. And here's the other interesting part... usually with Pokemon that are hidden in the game's code to be unveiled later, they're featured in Pokemon movies. That's been true for the past few years at least, if not forever. But with the 5th gen, after Keldeo there is Meloetta... Meloetta didn't get featured in a movie, Meloetta was stuffed into a mini-movie alongside the Keldeo movie. Why do that and not give a proper feature in a movie for a Legendary Pokemon?

Because I believe the 5th gen stuff is being rushed to completion. They want to move on to the next thing soon. Gamefreak was one of the first to receive a 3DS development kit and the system has been out for almost two years. We've gotten Black and White, and then Black 2 and White 2... the 5th gen is over. I think it makes perfect sense that the 6th gen will see a release on the 3DS of course and that we shall start to hear about the 6th gen in the coming months.

What about a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remake? Not happening IMO... not anytime soon at least. They would not rush new 5th gen Pokemon out of the gate only to debut a mainline 3DS Pokemon game as a remake. Plus, Japan is distributing Kyogre and Groudoun, which is not something they'd do if remakes of the games were on the way. No, the 6th gen games are on their way.

December's CoroCoro comes out in a matter of weeks. And if the pattern continues, we could get our first hints of 6th gen Pokemon at that time. If we look back at 5th gen, we had our first hints of a mysterious "Z" Pokemon in December, followed by Zoroark and Zorua revealed in February, and then the official announcement of Pokemon Black and White in April. Could we see the same pattern again? I believe so. And if not, regardless... 6th gen is on its way soon.

Last edited by DarkWish on Tue May 14, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Post Re: Pokemon 6th Generation Thoughts/Rumors/Discussion
I really enjoyed the first and fourth generations. For some reason I couldn't get into Black as much as I did Red, Platinum, or HeartGold (The only other Pokemon games I've played). Maybe I was just burnt out on Pokemon and annoyed that Black and White 2 were DS games. I'll go ahead and assume the sixth generation will be on 3DS and by the time they come out I'm sure I'll be more than happy to play a new Pokemon game.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:32 am
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Weave wrote:
I really enjoyed the first and fourth generations. For some reason I couldn't get into Black as much as I did Red, Platinum, or HeartGold (The only other Pokemon games I've played). Maybe I was just burnt out on Pokemon and annoyed that Black and White 2 were DS games. I'll go ahead and assume the sixth generation will be on 3DS and by the time they come out I'm sure I'll be more than happy to play a new Pokemon game.

Same, I'm feeling really burnt out. I was big on Pokemon up until the 4th gen. Then when 5th gen came, I thought it was neat and I started playing the Japanese version through the first few gyms. Then the English game released and I had to go through the same stuff so I just got bored and ended up basically at the same spot. No point in getting White 2 when I didn't finish White, and not much new since it was a DS game.

That's why I'm really curious to see what they do with a 6th 3DS game, should be interesting. I'm somewhat hoping they ditch the sprites and use the Pokedex 3D models. I mean, they have the models created for all the Pokemon, so why not use them? I liked the story mode in Pokemon Colosseum on GCN, and I think it'd be neat to see something like that on the 3DS. Or at least 3D models in battles or something. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

I don't know how I feel about abandoning sprites. I think that might take away from the charm of pokemon games. I still want it to look like the main series games just with the added depth the 3DS offers.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Looks like 6th Gen news may be upon us soon. Some merchandise ads for the 16th movie (the one with Genesect) mentioned two Pokemon that there will also be merchandise for, but they weren't shown. Usually this means a new Forme or a new Pokemon. Either way, that means new games.

There was also a new commercial for Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 on TV in Japan and at the end, it said they wanted to share the latest Pokemon news with a scheduled announcement for January 8th. Game Freak director Junichi Masuda also revealed on Twitter in December that he had filmed an episode of Pokemon Smash, and these are recorded a month or so in advance, so that episode will likely air in January. Usually when Masuda appears, it's for a game announcement.

I speculated that we may get more news on the 16th movie (and thus, Gen 6 news) this month... but the big revelation was that Shiny Genesect would be in the movie. However, we are still many months away from the movie and they have to reveal something more about it soon. So I remain with my prediction that we'll see Gen 6 stuff soon. Masuda also sent Christmas cards to Nintendo Dream magazine and said that during 2013, they intend to further evolve the world of Pokemon. What that means, who knows... but sounds like Gen 6 to me. Maybe January 8th will be when Gen 6 is revealed... I guess we'll find out soon!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

First thing's first, Emerald remake plz.

Also, I thought fifth generation was abysmal. Black/White had, in my opinion, the worst characters and storyline of any main handheld pokemon game. The fact that these were the games they decided to give sequels to does not invoke a lot of confidence.

Here's hoping they redraft the whole thing with gen six. I'm also hoping for big improvements on sprite animation (both for pokemon and [n]pc's).

Bobius,Thu, 10 Jan 2008, 21:29 wrote:
I shall assume Mike is right as he is Mike.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 am
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
So the Masuda thing may just be for some tournament on that show, maybe nothing big.

However, something big is coming. That January 8th teaser on the commercial in Japan? Now the Japanese website has posted something saying an announcement is coming January 8th. And recently, the Pokemon Company in the US tweeted about a Pokemon announcement on January 8th. So there is a worldwide announcement coming on that date... sounds like Gen 6 to me! Looking forward to the details.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

I guess big news tomorrow? Please be gen 6 with signi changes, pokemon rainbow rumour sounded awesome.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
I guess big news tomorrow? Please be gen 6 with signi changes, pokemon rainbow rumour sounded awesome.

Very likely Gen VI news. Almost definitely confirmed it's for 3DS.

And Pokemon Rainbow is very, very likely fake. There has never been a leak from an unofficial source for a main Pokemon game (I think). If it's ever leaked, it's simply through CoroCoro magazine coming out early or something of that nature, but never for the main games. They keep that stuff sealed tight. Especially from a non-Japanese source? Yea, not happening. The Rainbow rumor, while somewhat intriguing, also sounds incredibly unlikely and fake. At this point, don't believe any rumors you read. They're not gonna be true.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: Pokemon X/Y (6th Gen) Discussion

So we finally got the details and wow is it good! Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are our 6th Gen games! They are indeed for 3DS and as I speculated, goodbye sprites. These games are in full 3D, both in the game world and in battles. Ad the biggest megaton... WORLDWIDE release in October!!!

And we had five new Pokemon revealed...

Fire starter - Fennekin:

Grass starter - Chespin:

Water starter - Froakie:

The unnamed X stag legendary:

The unnamed Y bird legendary:

Looks AWESOME! Really excited for these games. Nintendo delivered on this Pokemon Direct announcement.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 am
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Sign me up for Team Fennekin

Male trainer looks so cool!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
I'm so excited for this! Looks like the creators didn't chince out on us this time. :p I don't know about you guys, but I nerdgasm'd a little.

Doesn't this just make everyone excited for any other Pokemon game after this as well? Ruby & Saphire 3D, I think so. But no trolls are allowed to look at this and say it's legit.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
JumpingGirraffe wrote:
I'm so excited for this! Looks like the creators didn't chince out on us this time. :p I don't know about you guys, but I nerdgasm'd a little.

Doesn't this just make everyone excited for any other Pokemon game after this as well? Ruby & Saphire 3D, I think so. But no trolls are allowed to look at this and say it's legit.

I'm excited too! The Pokemon series has been getting rather stale for me, so this is just what it needs to make it more fresh and interesting. And one of the best parts is how we get it at the same time Japan does. That means no more hearing all about the Japanese versions (or playing them myself) and getting bored of the game when the English release comes.

The only thing I'm debating now is whether to get a strategy guide or not. Pokemon is the one series where I've always needed a strategy guide. I tried going without one for Diamond/Pearl I think, and it got so annoying when I would miss an HM or something important and have to backtrack to find it. Yea there are online guides as well though... so maybe I'll just stick with those. Actually, that makes sense. If I go with an online walkthrough to help me, I won't be spoiled on all the new Pokemon (since I want to keep some of them a surprise now). Problem solved.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Yeah I thought Pokemon had got kind of stale so I still hadnt ever opened Black or White and just failed to miss out on getting even the sequels (well I liked the characters, N, and the trainer and their fan arts but not enough to make me want to play the games), but I did get quite excited seeing this one and the new trainer so am hyped, especially since its on 3DS so I cant imagine what new features we will get beyond the visuals. I also like the new designs and the visuals for the Pokemon.

On the guide talk, Ill probably always get the guides, I like hardcover ones and having the pokedex on hand physically since I consistently reference multiple pages at a time :/ and where to find x pokemon and all the numerous post game content quests.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
So we have Fennekin, Chespin, and Froakie as the starters... Xerneas and Yveltal as the legendaries... and now we have our 6th Pokemon from the 6th Generation. Introducing a new evolution of Eevee...

Japanese name is Ninfia (for reference, Glaceon and Leafeon were named Glacia and Leafia in Japan). No English name, but maybe Ninfeon if they keep the prefix part. Regardless, no type yet for this evolution. It will be in the Eevee mini-movie before the 16th Pokemon movie in Japan. Personally I don't think it looks that great, but maybe it's just that image.

What I am more excited for is the news about the 16th Pokemon movie featuring Genesect. It now has a new title of "Extremespeed Genesect and the Reawakening of Mewtwo". That's right... Mewtwo is BACK! I really liked Mewtwo's movie (the first Pokemon movie) and thought he was an interesting character. And very fitting that he returns in this. Team Rocket created Mewtwo and Team Plasma created Genesect.

If any more info leaks from CoroCoro, I'll post it soon. But that's all for now.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 am
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Oh nice the Eevee looks amazing, I love having eevees.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
We have an English name for the new Eeveelution: Sylveon.

Description from the Pokemon site:
Quote:
Meet Sylveon, a newly discovered evolution of Eevee! Eevee first appeared in the original Pokémon video games, Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue. Experienced Pokémon Trainers know that Eevee can evolve into seven different types, and now a new Eevee evolution with a different type has been revealed! What type is Sylveon? You'll have to wait to find out! Stay tuned to Pokemon.com for more news.

The Pokemon X and Y website has been updated with screenshots and some gameplay footage of Sylveon: http://www.pokemon.com/pokemonxy/en-us

Looks better in motion, but I'm still not a fan of Sylveon's design. I am curious as to what type it is. Makes me wonder if it's a new type or what. I do really like though that we're getting all the news that Japan gets at the same time, that's really nice!

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

My guess is that Sylveon will be either normal or flying. On another note new types in gen six would be cool but at the same time I already have enough trouble remembering what is weak, resistant, or non effective as it is.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 pm
Space Pirate

3DS Friend Code:
0619-3199-4715
getting more and more excited for the game, The new mewtwo like pokemon looks awesome

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:14 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Guess I'll post a pic of the new Mewtwo Forme. Here's Mewtwo and the new Forme:

This has been confirmed to be a new Forme for Mewtwo, not a new Pokemon. In the movie trailer for the new movie coming in Japan, Mewtwo is seen transforming into this new Forme. However, one interesting thing to note... it was originally hinted that this Mewtwo was the one from the first movie (which made sense considering that's the only Mewtwo that exists). Well that one was male (even in the Japanese version), but the new Japanese trailer has Mewtwo with a female voice. So is this a different Mewtwo somehow? It's all really weird, but all we know is Mewtwo is seen transforming into this new thing, so it must be a new Forme.

The other thing I wanted to post was a rumor. Before Pokemon Black and White released, some Spanish site leaked all the new Pokemon. One of the leakers, known as Hirobyte, is claiming to have more info. I'm marking this as a rumor though because while he was legit before, the circumstances this time around are different. Hirobyte claims that there will be a new Fairy type in Pokemon X and Y. He claims that Sylveon is a Fairy type. He claims that Xerneas is a Fairy type and Yveltal is a Dark/Flying type. And he also claims some older Pokemon like Clefairy and maybe Togetic will be retyped as Fairy types. Remember, this is UNCONFIRMED. But what he says makes a lot of sense. Let's examine the evidence...

Many of the new Pokemon like Sylveon, Xerneas, Yveltal, etc. have been revealed with no type yet. Why hide all these types? Makes sense that there may be a new type. Plus, it's been a long time since we had any new types added, and with Pokemon X and Y being in some ways a big, new start for the series... now is the perfect time. And then, there is this image:
Hidden (Non-Spoiler): show

That image is of Eevee and its evolutions, including Sylveon. Notice the outline Sylveon is in. All the other eeveelutions have outlines based on their types. A Fairy type would imply something pink-colored maybe. And like how Umbreon with its Dark type has a devil wing type outline... Sylveon seems to have an angel wing type outline. Apparently there are also various Egg Groups in the games that include the usual types like Water, Bug, Grass, Dragon, Flying, etc. One of the other types is Fairy type. Also, Sylveon's German name is Feelinara and the German name for the Fairy Egg Group is Fee. Both the French and Japanese names contain nymph as well.

So this all seems pretty plausible. But remember, it's speculation and unconfirmed. The source was reliable before, but under different circumstances. But I'm leaning towards this being true. At least, partially. I think there will be a new type and a Fairy type makes sense. I think Sylveon will be this new type, though I don't know about the Legendaries. And remember, Dark type Pokemon are called Evil type in Japan... so this new type may not be Fairy, but could be Sprite/Nymph/Pixie/Light/etc type. But something along those lines makes sense. We'll just have to wait and see if this is true.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Adding a new type wouldn't be bad. However, changing the type of pokemon that have been around for over a decade would be slightly annoying. I say go ahead and add a new type just don't alter the pokemon we already have. I can only think of one pokemon who's type was altered when a new type came out and that is Magnemite in gen II.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:36 pm
Space Pirate

3DS Friend Code:
0619-3199-4715
Yeah, I'm all for new types, but don't go and change a Pokemon type if it isn't a new Pokemon, I just hope if they do this they don't don't ruin any of the Pokemon.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
I want them to go back and change types. Especially if it's a Fairy type or something that's new... wouldn't make sense for all these fairy-like Pokemon to not be the new type. Plus, it changes the game. It changes the status quo. Pokemon desperately needs that IMO, it needs something to change it up. And if they don't change older Pokemon types, then there will be very few new Pokemon of the new type and it won't make much of a difference. I wouldn't be opposed to giving older Pokemon new Formes for the new type either. That's another possibility.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Have there been no updates to start May off?

Mon May 06, 2013 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Nope, nothing new. Not sure when we'll get anything next.

Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next