It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Experiences upon picking up your Wii U....... 
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
Post Experiences upon picking up your Wii U.......
So I am typing this at 2:00 in the morning central time. I went to my local Walmart at about 10:30 to see if I could pick up another Wii U to sell on old ebay. Waiting till 11:45, then a man showed up smelling like alcohol on his breath.

He talked to me a few minutes and told me he had come from a town a few miles down the road. He said the store completely sold out because their was a gigantic line and the store only had like 9 to sell to walk ins so he came to my town's Walmart.

I had already known how many Wii Us there were as I had already talked to guy I knew in electronics who told me my town only got 5 for walk ins. 1 Deluxe, and the rest basic. I was the first one there and I was going to walk out with a deluxe. I didn't let him know that though.........

When it came time to release the WiiUs, we were still the only 2 waiting. Walmart associate comes up and says which one I want since I was the first one there, I say the deluxe and the associate tells the other guy that they only have white ones left. He says darn! but isn't really bummed out about it. Then I go up to pay.....then this guy does something unexpected......he tells me quietly,"I'll give you 60 bucks right now to let me have the black one." right away I started thinking to myself.....should I? I actually had one more Wii U reserved at target that I need to pick up sunday morning, I was thinking if I got another one Saturday night, i would put the one at target for sale, make a little moolah.

But now this guy was offering me 60 bucks so I thought about it some more......and I said sure. I said go for it man, its yours. He was like thanks man.

Reason I did it? Well by the time I got in the car, I had it figured out. Guy gives me 60 bucks just for taking my spot, so that was a plus. A few minutes after I pay for a white one, the associate tells me that he can't find ANY Mariobros U games. I was like really?...? Another thing was that when the guy was paying for the black one, I noticed the box was smashed in in one corner.

So as fate would have it, I guess I was mean't NOT to get this U console tonight.

All good things come to those that wait is my philosophy. I'll be picking it up at target tomorrow and hopefully a copy of MB U and having a great time playing with my daughter on launch day!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Re: Experiences upon picking up your Wii U.......
I showed up to Walmart around 10:45, walked around and finally made it to the lay-away section, where I found about 7-8 people lined up in chairs. By the way they were talking, they had been there for quite a while. The Walmart associates confirmed that I had one on order, and they found it and set it to the side. The rest of the time, I spent playing 3DS (NSMB2 & Pushmo), listening/laughing to 1-2 of the guys talk about how he's getting it for his kid who will probably not appreciate all his hard work, and waited patiently until midnight. Then, I simply paid, walked out, and drove home to set it up.

MUCH different/calmer/warmer than my experience waiting for the Wii 6 years ago!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Nothing special nor dramatic for me...

Woke up about 8:00am (CST), played Simpsons: Tapped out, showered and got ready. My wife also got ready as well, we had a busy day planned.

About 9:30ish, we leave for Gamestop. Arrived about 9:40ish and waited until 9:50. I saw 2 guys get let inside the store (they told me it opened at 10). So I leave my wife in the car and enter. I wait in line behind 1 dude that was already in the store, he was paying for his Wii U Deluxe with NSMB U, Ninja Gaiden and ZombiU. He was also looking for Wii Remote Plus, and apparently my GameStop was low on those. So while I waited patiently, a second employee arrived and went to look for the remote. The manager asked to help me, so he went and got my Wii U Deluxe from the back, and NSMB U, Sonic Racing and ZombiU for me (tournament prizes). Paid off the games, and managed to leave my credit card in the store. The manager had taken it to enter in the numbers, but forgot to hand it back. I didn't realize until later...

So we left and went to our favorite breakfast place about 15 minutes north of this gamestop. We ate, went to pay and realized the card was gone. Got in the car and called and they still had it. That was a relief. So since this restaurant was by the mall, we did some Christmas shopping at a few different places. Then went to Target and I asked to see if they had any left over consoles, of course not. Then dropped the wife off at home and I returned to GameStop and got my credit card. Then went home. I set up the Wii U console in our bedroom (Living Room TV is a diaster area with it mounted above the fireplace, and not a lot of room for cords at the present time. Also need to install the switch since it already has 2 HD connections (upgrade DVD player, cable).

So while it updated, I set up Christmas decorations outside (beautiful day for that). Then brought in Xmas stuff for the house (we aren't hosting Thanksgiving, figured to get it out of the way). Completed the update (took like 75 minutes or so). Then got stuff set up and reviewed how to transfer Wii data. Got that set up and going and helped set up the Xmas tree. Then had dinner and that was done. Finally got to play Nintendo Land. I started with Crash Course, let my wife try (she's addicted), then she worked on some other things while I tried the Ninja game, and Fruit Cart.

I know it was more the purchase experience, I just had an interesting day...

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Arrived at GameStop at 8:30 and they opened early at 9. Was the first to get a Wii U there. Two others were also getting it. Apparently they only had 10 which was exactly how many pre-orders they had.

Got home and updated and explored Miiverse and stuff. Went to my grandparents house and played some Nintendo Land with my sisters and solo. Then went back home and explored more like the eShop. And finally, played some Assassin's Creed III.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
Me and my daughter started playing NSMB U and had a really greaty time, this one was really fun due to the fact that a second person can help with making blocks.

Me and my daughter made up names already for the two positions. Runner and Blocker. Before each level I'd say who do you want to be? Run or Bloc? She was having so much fun being the Blocker, this game really was better than I expected especially for the feature of a second helper making alternate ways of navigating the level. If felt really good when we worked together to get a Star Coin.

I actually hadn't had that kind of "giddy" fun in a long time. I think we are going to have so much fun in the coming months with the Wii U. :dslite:

I still need to set up my Mii and account and for friends.

Is there a tread already for adding friends?

You down Gregory? :???:

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 am
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
batmanjokergorden wrote:
Is there a tread already for adding friends?

You down Gregory? :???:

I can be your friend.

Each system, we have a thread for adding others with the console, here is the Wii U one (entitled the Nintendo Network ID - since that is what it is)
viewtopic.php?f=200&t=10883

Let me know if you add me on 3DS, not sure if I added you or not.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]