It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Tomb Raider 
Pikmin Chucker

Post Tomb Raider
So recently a friend of mine found out I had never played a Tomb Raider game. So naturally he gets on Amazon and buys a copy of the original game because he wanted to watch me play through it. I am three levels in and I have to admit that I am hating this game. Now I am normally a fan of exploration puzzle solving games but I feel that Tomb Raider just isn't that good. Maybe if I had played the game in '96 when it came out I'd have been more impressed but so far I feel like the game has aged terribly. My first major complaint lies with the controls. It feels like a chore to do everything. Even picking up items requires the player to position Lara at the right angle by an item and holding the walk button till you get in the spot where the game will let you pick up the item. The controls also suffer when it comes to exploring in a 3D world with a Dpad. Now I know the Playstation didn't originally have joysticks so it's a hard problem to remedy but it just feels like the whole game is a grid. Instead of making a flawless transition to switch direction, the player almost has to stop and position Lara in the next direction when making turns. This makes combat difficult as well because evading enemies also requires the player to dodge in only 4 directions instead of having 360 degrees in which to chose from. Lastly, I'm going to be pretty harsh and complain about the graphics. The textures in this game leave a lot to be desired. I have wandered around aimlessly trying to find out where to go only to realize I missed some hole in the wall that is hardly visible because all the textures look the same and it's hard to get any sense of depth. Now I have played plenty of other PS1 games that kept their graphics simpler and looked much better. I feel that Tomb Raider is almost a case of trying to hard to look pretty but failing to hit the mark.

Am I the only one to feel that this game has not lived up to any of rave reviews I have previously read and heard? Do any of you think think this game aged horribly? Or am I about to get crucified by a bunch of Tomb Raider fans?

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:17 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
Post Re: Tomb Raider
Weave wrote:
So recently a friend of mine found out I had never played a Tomb Raider game. So naturally he gets on Amazon and buys a copy of the original game because he wanted to watch me play through it. I am three levels in and I have to admit that I am hating this game. Now I am normally a fan of exploration puzzle solving games but I feel that Tomb Raider just isn't that good. Maybe if I had played the game in '96 when it came out I'd have been more impressed but so far I feel like the game has aged terribly. My first major complaint lies with the controls. It feels like a chore to do everything. Even picking up items requires the player to position Lara at the right angle by an item and holding the walk button till you get in the spot where the game will let you pick up the item. The controls also suffer when it comes to exploring in a 3D world with a Dpad. Now I know the Playstation didn't originally have joysticks so it's a hard problem to remedy but it just feels like the whole game is a grid. Instead of making a flawless transition to switch direction, the player almost has to stop and position Lara in the next direction when making turns. This makes combat difficult as well because evading enemies also requires the player to dodge in only 4 directions instead of having 360 degrees in which to chose from. Lastly, I'm going to be pretty harsh and complain about the graphics. The textures in this game leave a lot to be desired. I have wandered around aimlessly trying to find out where to go only to realize I missed some hole in the wall that is hardly visible because all the textures look the same and it's hard to get any sense of depth. Now I have played plenty of other PS1 games that kept their graphics simpler and looked much better. I feel that Tomb Raider is almost a case of trying to hard to look pretty but failing to hit the mark.

Am I the only one to feel that this game has not lived up to any of rave reviews I have previously read and heard? Do any of you think think this game aged horribly? Or am I about to get crucified by a bunch of Tomb Raider fans?

Your right, this game hasn't aged well at all. Back in the day, I thought this game was really engaging and I loved the exploring, but I'm sure if I try to pick it up and play today the controls(mainly the controls) will put-the-heck-off of me. Even back then, I knew the game centered around grids for crossing large gaps and jumps. I liked it back then cause I knew exactly how far I needed to be to make a jump.

But yeah, I wouldn't pop this title back in the ole Playstation anytime soon unless I wanted to frustrate and bore myself to death.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 am
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Never owned a Playstation, also, never played this game. I have played a few PS games though, but not this one.

If you count the PS2 I bought my wife in college, I had a one of those, but that was more for Guitar Hero, and her brothers ended up borrowing it and never returning it.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
Gamer Greg wrote:
Never owned a Playstation, also, never played this game. I have played a few PS games though, but not this one.

If you count the PS2 I bought my wife in college, I had a one of those, but that was more for Guitar Hero, and her brothers ended up borrowing it and never returning it.

your really not missing anything, if you didn't play any on the PS1, then I think your time passed to those games out.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:02 am
Pikmin Chucker

batmanjokergorden wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:

your really not missing anything, if you didn't play any on the PS1, then I think your time passed to those games out.

Yeah not much going for the PS1. There was one at my Grandma's house down the street from me growing up so I played Crash Bandicoot on there but not much else.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]