It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
And so the dev log begins [Updated: Nov. 11th '12] 
Fire Flower

3DS Friend Code:
1848-2157-3130
Post And so the dev log begins [Updated: Nov. 11th '12]
Hello. I figured after nearly a month I should actually post something significant to show that I have been working on the game, although not as much as I would hope in retrospection. Regardless, here's a little video I recorded of a recent build of the engine. The video is 28.5 megabytes, 5 minutes long, and in an uncompressed QuickTime MOV file. I posted it on DropBox so it would probably be faster for you to download it whole and watch it, than to try and stream it in your browser. Please be forewarned that I occasionally (peers would maintain that I frequently) mumble while speaking very quickly. If you can't understand what I'm saying or have any questions feel free to ask for clarification.
Progress so far:
Video pipeline finished: Basically, completely finished although I might expand it a little more if you guys want our game to have software scaling (sprite scaling, camera with zoom function).
Audio system complete: Currently plays BGM (.ogg) at 32kHz (can be changed to 44.1 or 48 kHz if you prefer) in either stereo or mono with a chunk size of 4096.
Input Handler 95%: Capable of tracking state (pressed, down, released, up) and duration (up to 15 minutes!) for 12 keys plus standard system shortcuts (ala Command Q / Alt F4 to exit the game). The only reason I'm saying 95% instead of 100% is right now there are no conditions put in place for window-type events; such as automatically halt any cycles while the screen is inactive or minimized, for example.
Console 60%: Can queue up to ten strings (can be more if you like), multi-coloured bitmapped font with black border, -1 pixel kerning for border-blend effect, primitive line breaking.
Simple framerate handler: Currently caps at 30 frames per second.
Tiler 30%: *sigh* I'm working on it.
Current Objectives:
Add sophisticated line breaking and passage boxing to the console (may expand to another class).
Finish Tiler.
Add software scaling???
Assets:
The font I'm using is from OpenGameArt; note, I've manipulated it to add yellow, red, and blue colours.
The sample tile sheet (a PNG with alpha channel) shown in the video I made myself in an application called Paintbrush and will serve as an example of how the game will look if I were to do all the art myself.
I was planning on using the Chara character generator to make the player sprites for the game (a big part of the reason I settled on making a top-down adventure game) and here are some examples: Ex.1, Ex.2. Note: those examples were just a couple I made while messing around in the web app for the first time and therefore do not necessarily represent the potential of the final project.
The music was lifted from a game and obviously will not appear in the final build.
The sound effect used in the video was just something generated with the Noise-wave filter in CFXR which I'll most definitely be using for all the sound effects in the game; ideally all sound effects will use noise-wave and sine-wave filters (I love sine-wave sound effects, personally).
Things to consider:
Audio frequency: 32, 44.1, or 48 kilo hertz? I'm leaning towards 44.1 personally since that's what the sound effects will be in.
Software scaling: a waste of time and resources or a valuable component of a game's presentation? I'm torn here.
Framerate: is 30 enough or do you guys want to make my life twice as hard and bump it up to 60?
Things decided:
Genre: Top-down... something???

Previous OPs:
[Oct. 12th '12]
Hidden (Non-Spoiler): show
So... Anyone want to make a game?
Recently, I've been playing the fantastic La-Mulana on Wii Ware which got me thinking about how a game like this comes to exist in the first place. For those of you unaware of La-Mulana's history, it began as a simple indie game designed to pay homage to (by which I mean, blatantly clone) classic MSX adventure/platformers such as Nightmare 2: Maze of Galious. Developed by Nigoro, -then known as GR3 Project- La-Mulana was a clear passion-project by MSX faithfuls, for MSX faithfuls; although, with the remake adding screen-scrolling and 3D, the MSX tribute kind-of got thrown out the window. The game came about shortly after development finished on the Freeware Maze of Galious Remake, which involved the participation of Takumi Naramura, who would then go on to be a lead designer on La-Mulana. I mention La-Mulana for two reasons: 1. To seriously tell people to look into it if they haven't yet; and, 2. To open for a discussion on, as the title of this thread addresses, possibly making a game in this community. Now, I know my post have been far and few in between while I've been here, and I have no justification for it other than stating that I've never been much of conversationalist, but I still thought that of this place as a good grounding for this idea. Across the internet you can find many simple messageboard-based games which have turned out really well; Google, Super Talking Time Bros 2 or any assortment of Rom Hacking operations, for an example. I've been interested in making an indie game for along time and have made several previous attempts with varying degrees of success. While I have completed games in past, they've been nothing that exciting or impressive; the programming itself as never been that much of a problem, its more so been limited in other factors, specifically graphics and sound due to me lacking any artistic or musical talent. Sure, sites like OpenGameArt are great but they don't offer enough to make a full game with unless you starting mixing art-styles which always ends-up looking terrible, and there are many royalty-free music sites out there but nothing is really comparable to a full original score composed just for the game. I won't try and hide the fact that I'm still amateur programmer, but I have been coding in C++ for nearly three years now, and been using SDL for almost a year now. Basically, what I had in mind for the game was something on the simple-side and in 2D (potential genres: platformer, action/adventure, Metroidvania, sidescrolling shooter, et cetera) with nice pixel art and background music with a nice melody or sense of ambience to it. I would prefer it be coded in C++ with SDL so we can target multiple platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, possibly Wii via homebrew) and it be something original as in, not relying on copyrighted assets. Of course, this is a Nintendo fan forum so the game would most definitely have a very Nintendo-esque feel to it. I don't mean to start to much on a stir with this, for now I'm just curious to see what kind of reaction people have to this idea and if positive, what kind of game they would be interested in making.

Too long; didn't read? I'm just wondering how many people here would be interested in doing one of those collaborative game development efforts, where people pitch in little pieces of art/music/code/design ideas/quality assurance, resulting in a distinctively Nintendo-feeling game for Windows, Mac OS X and possibly Wii (homebrew). If it sounds like something you're interested reply with what sort of things you would want to be the main focus of the game. If this all sounds ludicrous to you, feel free to say so as well.

Last edited by Anadian on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
Post Re: So... Anyone want to make a game?
why you ask ?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:08 am
Fire Flower

3DS Friend Code:
1848-2157-3130
Viridi claws wrote:
why you ask ?

No real reason, I guess. I just thought it would make for some interesting discussion but it doesn't seem like anyone's that interested.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:09 pm
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I have the interest, but have no knowledge of development. I am a tester in my profession so I could always help out that way. I do have design ideas, but not sure if I want to share those just yet.

Ps ive also been playing the fantasic la mulana game, and I think some of my ideas were curved from that. It would still be unique gameplay, and my idea is more of a puzzle adventure like legend of zelda.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
I program software full time, but it's all .NET stuff. I tried messing around on the Wii with Homebrew and that was a bit tough for me. I never got too far. I think it's an interesting idea and if I had the time, I would be glad to help. Unfortunately, I have no time for that, but I hope you get some interest from the NintendoFuse community.

Start off with a simple 2D game and then move into 3D. I would suggest creating a simple generic 'clone' of a zelda type game and go from there. I'm not suggesting you make it just like Zelda, but use that as your basis.

Here is an idea for a background. You could either tile an image, or create one long image as your background in each level. I'm thinking of the upcoming Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage? game for the 3DS. I don't know if this is accurate, but the characters and the backgrounds all look hand drawn. Whether or not they are hand drawn doesn't matter, really the visuals look good.

If I think of any more ideas I will post them here, that's about all I can offer at this point.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 am
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I do think my idea is very original and would be similar to a Zelda clone, I just don't know if I should try to offer it to a company, or somehow do it all myself (or at least have help with it). It is definitely a 2D game, and it could be a fantastic eShop game. I'm just torn if I want the top down approach or if I want the front approach (Zelda vs games like Mario 1)

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Gamer Greg wrote:
I do think my idea is very original and would be similar to a Zelda clone, I just don't know if I should try to offer it to a company, or somehow do it all myself (or at least have help with it). It is definitely a 2D game, and it could be a fantastic eShop game. I'm just torn if I want the top down approach or if I want the front approach (Zelda vs games like Mario 1)

My thought is that you should try doing it yourself. Eventually you could end up making a product worth being picked up by Steam, or Nintendo on the eShop.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:04 am
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Very interesting topic! I have no experience making games or anything however. But if you ever do decide to make something, keep us all updated on it for sure.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

3DS Friend Code:
1848-2157-3130
Gamer Greg wrote:
I have the interest, but have no knowledge of development.

Just reiterating, the point of a collaboration project is so that anyone can contribute to some aspect they're good at. It doesn't have to be exclusively programming; anything from artwork, to music, to QA qualifies as a contribution. Additionally, if you're interested in starting game programming to realise this game idea you're talking about, there are many good places to start. One of the best things about programming is that all you really need to start programming is a computer and internet access. I would personally suggest starting of with C++ since its super-fast and has a very clean (at times restrictive) syntax. C++ is regarded as one of the harder languages to learn but if you have a good guide and decent level of patience, you should be fine. If you go the C++ route I would recommend you follow AntiRTFM's tutorial series on YouTube; he's very thorough and does a good job a explaining the many intricacies of C++. For a compiler, use GCC (G++) and for an IDE I would recommend Code::Blocks if your on windows and XCode if you're on Mac OS X. If you're looking for something a little easier and visual you can use Adobe Flash with ActionScript 3. If you're willing to learn BASIC you can use a recent DSi Ware application called called Petit Computer which is an excellent choice because its centred entirely around system-based game development. Finally, if just want something with a nice GUI for creating ganre-specific games these videos go over many other alternatives.

JHardin1112, I was always intending for it to be a 2D game (platformer, action/adventure, Metroidvania, sidescrolling shooter, et cetera) since I have virtually no experience in 3D programming. I've have the Unity 3D Engine installed on my computer, but installing is about as much as I've done with it. I have no problem with using a hand-drawn art style ( it does make programming stuff like collision-detection and scaling more difficult but I think I could manage) or Pixel-art (both traditional and contemporary styles are fine) I just simply can't stand Vector-art. I know many people may beg-to-differ, but I honestly feel that every game that uses Vector-art looks exactly the same.

I'll admit this didn't generate quite the response I was hoping for but would it still be okay if I started using this thread as a development blog for the game I'm aimlessly making right now, occasionally posting updates and asking for people's input? Right now, I've just got some low-level video, audio, and input handlers prepared so there's still plenty of time for people to post their ideas and artistic submissions.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Anadian wrote:
JHardin1112, I was always intending for it to be a 2D game (platformer, action/adventure, Metroidvania, sidescrolling shooter, et cetera) since I have virtually no experience in 3D programming. I've have the Unity 3D Engine installed on my computer, but installing is about as much as I've done with it. I have no problem with using a hand-drawn art style ( it does make programming stuff like collision-detection and scaling more difficult but I think I could manage) or Pixel-art (both traditional and contemporary styles are fine) I just simply can't stand Vector-art. I know many people may beg-to-differ, but I honestly feel that every game that uses Vector-art looks exactly the same.

Welp, I did the same as you with Unity 3D. I thought it was a neat tool and was interested to see what I could do with it. I installed it and tried messing around with some of the samples, but I started off way too complicated. I tried jumping directly into a 3D game - not advisable. Still, it's a very interesting and robust program if you're willing to devote the time to learning how to use it.

Anadian wrote:
I'll admit this didn't generate quite the response I was hoping for but would it still be okay if I started using this thread as a development blog for the game I'm aimlessly making right now, occasionally posting updates and asking for people's input? Right now, I've just got some low-level video, audio, and input handlers prepared so there's still plenty of time for people to post their ideas and artistic submissions.

Yes, you can post your progress here. Who knows, it may perhaps generate the interest you were hoping for.

As for 3D stuff, there is a guy out there who guys by the handle of ThatOtherPerson or ThatOtherDev. He does a lot of homebrew for the Wii and PS3. He also puts out some Windows downloads of these games. Anyways, he uses SDL and C++ so if you haven't ever seen his stuff, check it out here ---> http://thatotherdev.com/

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:38 am
5000+ Club

3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
I'm interested. I might be able to help if this actually goes somewhere. I'm not familiar at all with Actionscript 3 but I am with AS2, I have attempted to make games before, let's just say the best I've got is a mediocre incomplete platformer.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:42 pm
Lakitu

NNID: noahdp
I'm ok with character and level design.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:10 pm
Fire Flower

3DS Friend Code:
1848-2157-3130
noahdp wrote:
I'm ok with character and level design.

What kind of characters, may I ask? Any examples?

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:16 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Post Re: And so the dev log begins [Updated: Nov. 11th '12]
Anadian, I saw your updated post. It seems as though you're making some progress with your game. I watched the video, but didn't see too much going on. Would you be able to point out the significant portions of the video?

Also, you posted several technical details that I have no clue what they mean. If you have time, can you edit your first post and educate me on what the technical details mean?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 am
Fire Flower

Post Re: And so the dev log begins [Updated: Nov. 11th '12]
Since we are going to be playing on a computer, why not bump the resolution up? It wouldn't take much more processing (we still render at the low res, but we just multiply each pixels size by x amount) so we get a larger window and gamespace but we still get to keep the retro look. I personally would prefer a 16x9 window :)

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]