Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Super Mario Brothers 
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Super Mario Brothers
Quote:
The quiet, peace-loving Mushroom People were turned into stones, bricks and even plants, and the kingdom fell into ruin. The only one who can undo the magic spell is Princess Toadstool, the daughter of the Mushroom King. Unfortunately, she is in the hands of evil king Bowser™. Mario learns of the Mushroom People’s plight and sets out to free the princess from the Koopas and restore the fallen kingdom.

I saw this on Nintendo's website, I had no idea that SMB had such a background story.

It is now available today for those non-ambassadors for 4.99, and a free update is supposedly available as well for us Ambassadors.

Anyone else know of this background story?

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Re: Super Mario Brothers
Yep. I used to read instruction booklets like CRAZY back in the NES days.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Was this really the original plot, or has it since been added for marketing purposes? Seems like the latter is more likely, as a plot like this would be probably far more well-known, given the game's ubiquity and fanbase.

EDIT: Seems as though this was the orignal story found within the manual. It's odd that nobody ever mentions all this. So, mario is killing Mushroom Kingdom inhabitants?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
Yep. I used to read instruction booklets like CRAZY back in the NES days.

I don't remember having one for this game, probably got lost.

One I do remember reading is the Super Mario 3, I liked to see the koopa kids on the same page. I think I actually still have it too, but I think it's missing the cover or a page or something.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
schmete wrote:
Was this really the original plot, or has it since been added for marketing purposes? Seems like the latter is more likely, as a plot like this would be probably far more well-known, given the game's ubiquity and fanbase.

EDIT: Seems as though this was the orignal story found within the manual. It's odd that nobody ever mentions all this. So, mario is killing Mushroom Kingdom inhabitants?

Nintendo characters are always really cruel... Mario kills the citizens of Mushroom Kingdom, Kirby inhales and digests the people of Dreamland, Pokemon trainers are capturing animals and training them to fight, etc.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
DarkWish wrote:
schmete wrote:

Nintendo characters are always really cruel... Mario kills the citizens of Mushroom Kingdom, Kirby inhales and digests the people of Dreamland, Pokemon trainers are capturing animals and training them to fight, etc.

And people say Nintendo isn't "hard core." lol j/k of course.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
DarkWish wrote:
schmete wrote:

And people say Nintendo isn't "hard core." lol j/k of course.

I know right! haha

Anyone that hasn't downloaded the update, it is indeed different. First off, the Ambassador hover over sound changed
Spoiler: show
it now plays the coin collect sound
. Next the icon changed to show a picture of the NES with the game appearing on a classic tv like block. It also added the year released.

The included features is the manual and save state functionality. It does say 2P mode is active, but it's pass the 3DS style, so I don't know if it wasn't active originally, or if they mention it to help sell it.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
In response to GamerGreg, you could select 2P before, but you were not able to control the 2nd player. LOL. Luigi just stood there and didn't move.

I don't understand the save state functionality, because I can currently create a save state. If I pause it, hit the home button, and close the game, then I can come back to it later and hit "resume."

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
In response to GamerGreg, you could select 2P before, but you were not able to control the 2nd player. LOL. Luigi just stood there and didn't move.

Haha, interesting, did not know that.

hattrick wrote:
I don't understand the save state functionality, because I can currently create a save state. If I pause it, hit the home button, and close the game, then I can come back to it later and hit "resume."

Save states are even more useful. Say you are on your last life, you create a save state at whatever point you are in the game. Then you die get the game over. If you reopen the save state menu, you can load the restore point. now you have your 1 life at that point in time again. Now you beat the level, you can replace the save state with your new location and when you load up the restore point, you will be at he new location.

You can only have 1 save state per game.

Edit: It would have made the high score competition much easier, since if you died too many times, you can restore when you had a good score and try again without losing all the lives.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Oh ok. I gotcha. It's like SMB moved into the 21st century of gaming, which does make the game a bit easier, but still is nice that you don't have to start all over again if you die.

Maybe not easier, but definitely less frustrating for untimely deaths.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
Oh ok. I gotcha. It's like SMB moved into the 21st century of gaming, which does make the game a bit easier, but still is nice that you don't have to start all over again if you die.

This functionality is on all VC games for the 3DS (non-ambassador). You tap the touch screen to bring up the menu (while the game is playing) and you can create the restore points. I know on like Zelda DX, you can hit X (to bring up the menu), but that did not seem to work on SMB.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Gamer Greg wrote:
hattrick wrote:

This functionality is on all VC games for the 3DS (non-ambassador). You tap the touch screen to bring up the menu (while the game is playing) and you can create the restore points. I know on like Zelda DX, you can hit X (to bring up the menu), but that did not seem to work on SMB.

Oh. I've only got one VC game so far (BurgerTime), and never tried it.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

Yeah
I always read instruction booklets

Last edited by JumpingGirraffe on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do not use our boards to advertise clothing sites.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]