It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
"Let's Plays" & Watching Others Play Video Games 
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post "Let's Plays" & Watching Others Play Video Games
I just skimmed through one of the first "Let's Play" videos I've watched. I got to say that it was kind of nice to see how the game is played, and it helped to know what was going on, because the guy explained it pretty well. I also think it was helpful to see the ending to a game that I will probably never have the time to go back and play myself. Other than that, though, I've never really enjoyed sitting down and watching hours and hours of others playing games. I'd much rather play myself. I guess it is similar to sports, for that matter, how some people prefer to watch, while others prefer to play themselves. Still others like both. I know that VG tournaments are getting really big, and people love watching online or at events. Some games even include online "audience" or "spectator" modes. One thing I do enjoy is watching groups of people play, especially when they really get into it, because I think it is hilarious to watch/listen to their reactions.

So... What are your thoughts on "Let's Plays" or just watching others play video games, in general?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:50 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Post Re: "Let's Plays" & Watching Others Play Video Games
The Rooster Teeth guys (makers of Red vs. Blue) do some really funny let's play videos especially with Minecraft. I've watched a few of those. While not quite let's play videos, I also enjoy watching Zelda Speed runs. Ocarina of Time speed runs always fascinate me with how people have figured out how to glitch and sequence break their way through the game in a couple of hours. I find let's play videos to be the best when the commentator(s) are funny or the gameplay is extremely technical requiring a certain level of skill that most gamers don't have.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:32 pm
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
My biggest problem is watching others play when I'm physically around. Particularly games I'm good at like Mariokart. Just not used to everyone playing the same way as me.

But in terms of LP's, I watch them occasionally, more out of boredom or I just want to remember what the game was like. I do look into some games that I don't own, but those that I have interest in potentially owning some day. Sometimes it helps see the gameplay in order to make the decision to purchase it.

Weave, I also watch stuff like that, but I've also seen Mega Man speed runs (like 2) and a few others. I think it's neat to see how they glitch the game for shortcuts. I also watched some Mariokart Wii videos to learn some of the shortcuts, and it obviously helped learning Maka Wuhu and Daisy Cruiser on MK7. I don't actively seek those shortcuts though, it's more when I'm in a mood to improve time trials, or I hear someone else talk about it.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Kremling

NNID: noahdp
I watch people play if they are playing games I suck at. I watch glitch videos and Peanutbuttergamer online.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
I frequently watch the group Video Games Awesome. They have a ton of videos they do and it's their full time job basically to do these. They have a sweet setup that shows them, the game, and a chat room all on one screen. And for Wii U games, they remove the chat and include the GamePad's view.

I'll frequently watch them play games on other systems like Uncharted for example so I can see what that's like. And I watch them play Nintendo games because it's fun seeing their reactions. Their NSMB Wii videos are hilarious and remind me of the good times at had while playing those games.

The only downside is there is plenty of bad language and stuff. I don't mind it necessarily, but I'd prefer without it because it means I have to listen with headphones since my parents wouldn't be happy.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Waddle Dee

3DS Friend Code:
Weave wrote:
The Rooster Teeth guys (makers of Red vs. Blue) do some really funny let's play videos especially with Minecraft. I've watched a few of those. While not quite let's play videos, I also enjoy watching Zelda Speed runs. Ocarina of Time speed runs always fascinate me with how people have figured out how to glitch and sequence break their way through the game in a couple of hours. I find let's play videos to be the best when the commentator(s) are funny or the gameplay is extremely technical requiring a certain level of skill that most gamers don't have.

FINALY some one who whatchs rooster teeth. but eny way i whach mostly Captinsparkels and xeraingameing (they mostly do mimecraft)

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pikmin Chucker

minecrafter47 wrote:
Weave wrote:

FINALY some one who whatchs rooster teeth. but eny way i whach mostly Captinsparkels and xeraingameing (they mostly do mimecraft)

I was probably watching Rooster Teeth while you were still in diapers.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 am
Kremling

NNID: noahdp
minecrafter47 wrote:
Weave wrote:

Mimecraft? The perfect game for mocking people.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 pm
5000+ Club

3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
DarkWish wrote:
I frequently watch the group Video Games Awesome. They have a ton of videos they do and it's their full time job basically to do these. They have a sweet setup that shows them, the game, and a chat room all on one screen. And for Wii U games, they remove the chat and include the GamePad's view.

I'll frequently watch them play games on other systems like Uncharted for example so I can see what that's like. And I watch them play Nintendo games because it's fun seeing their reactions. Their NSMB Wii videos are hilarious and remind me of the good times at had while playing those games.

The only downside is there is plenty of bad language and stuff. I don't mind it necessarily, but I'd prefer without it because it means I have to listen with headphones since my parents wouldn't be happy.

I love Video Games Awesome, I watched their Wii U show live as well as many others. I think it's awesome they also live in the same province. :D

I also watch Kazamieras do Dark Souls let's plays, he's doing one at the moment where his character is only using fist weapons, and no shield. If anyone has played Dark Souls you should know how difficult that is, but he's doing good. :p

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:08 pm
Waddle Dee

3DS Friend Code:
Weave wrote:
minecrafter47 wrote:
Weave wrote:

I was probably watching Rooster Teeth while you were still in diapers.

i started whatching them when i was 7 now im 11.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Space Pirate

3DS Friend Code:
0619-3199-4715
I watch and play games, I love watching tobygames, roosterteeth, peanutbuttergamer, pewdiepie and so many more most of the channels i'm subscribed to on YouTube are let's players. I watch them everyday

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:42 pm
Waddle Dee

3DS Friend Code:
Zeldaboy16 wrote:
I watch and play games, I love watching tobygames, roosterteeth, peanutbuttergamer, pewdiepie and so many more most of the channels i'm subscribed to on YouTube are let's players. I watch them everyday

i know all of them egsept peanutbuttergames.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Space Pirate

3DS Friend Code:
0619-3199-4715
minecrafter47 wrote:
Zeldaboy16 wrote:

i know all of them egsept peanutbuttergames.
you don't know peanutbuttergamer? He's one of my favorite YouTubers you should give him a chance if you haven't.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]