It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm



Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Who Did You Vote For? 
Author Message
Shy Guy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am
Posts: 427
Location: Omaha NE
3DS Friend Code:
2320-73733170
Post Who Did You Vote For?
Ok I don't want this to be a debating topic, but just want a response on who voted for who. Who did you got for? Why?

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:46 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile YIM
5000+ Club
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 5166
Location: Somewhere in Canada eh?
3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
If any of you voted for Mitt Romney I'm leaving this forum forever. It already had me rattled that it was a close race. 


Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:51 am
Profile
Kremling
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Posts: 699
NNID: noahdp
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
If I could vote if would have been mitt Romney 100%.

_________________
NOAHDP


Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 am
Profile
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:17 pm
Posts: 2628
Location: Eagleland
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
JumpingGirraffe wrote:
If any of you voted for Mitt Romney I'm leaving this forum forever. It already had me rattled that it was a close race. 

I would have, had I voted at all. Being in Oklahoma, there's no need. I didn't get to my home county on time anyway.

_________________
Wise and profound quote.
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 am
Profile
Shy Guy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am
Posts: 427
Location: Omaha NE
3DS Friend Code:
2320-73733170
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
Well if I could vote it would have been Romney and fisher. I understand people's reasons for Obama but my family's income is more than 250,000 yearly so our taxes are really high. But I do understand why someone would vote Obama I just hope the stock market doesn't drop as much as people say it is going to. Almost all Of Nebraska is republican. Oh well I guess it's his last 4 years in office. I could have predicated that Obama was going to win again, he gets all the big states.

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:32 am
Profile YIM
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:17 pm
Posts: 2628
Location: Eagleland
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
Fisher? Romney's running-mate was Ryan.

I don't think an election should be about voting money into your pocket, or for personal benefit by any stretch. My family has an annual income of... Well, let's just say that I worked half-time at minimum wage for a year and quit working for college in August, and I still have more money in savings than my parents.

It's sad what the economy can do... we used to run a successful business, live in a good-sized four-bedroom house that we built, and have the capacity to buy anything that caught our eye. California crashed and the construction market took a hit, and here we are.

The main reason why our business failed? Our business built and modified dairies, and the government pushed dairymen nearly to bankruptcy with harsh policies - many of them had to slaughter their cattle en masse to break even. The result - they did not expand or even update their facilities, which were a powerful driving force for the economy.

This did not only affect my family, but everyone I personally knew out there. Electricians, mechanics, carpenters, land developers, general contractors, and many more - these all depended, directly or indirectly, partly on the dairy industry of the central valley. Of all my friends I knew when I lived there, only two remain.

If this had only hurt my family but helped everyone else, it would be a net positive, and I would not have a case for less government. But, government interference not only destroyed our livelihood, but also that of all my old acquaintances and friends.

Maybe the government can't destroy my prospects as an engineer. We'll see.

ETA:

That said, congratulations Obama. I wish you all the best. The power to make or break us lies with you. I know you want the best for us, and you know that I disagree about how to achieve it. But, I hope that whatever you do works.

_________________
Wise and profound quote.
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 am
Profile
Podcast Producer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:39 pm
Posts: 7864
Location: Virginia
NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
I voted for Obama four years ago and I voted for him again yesterday.

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 am
Posts: 7220
Location: USA
NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
JumpingGirraffe wrote:
If any of you voted for Mitt Romney I'm leaving this forum forever. It already had me rattled that it was a close race. 

Don't you live in Canada?? :tongue:

_________________
NintendoFuse Editor & Forum Administrator.


Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 5166
Location: Somewhere in Canada eh?
3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
hattrick wrote:
JumpingGirraffe wrote:
If any of you voted for Mitt Romney I'm leaving this forum forever. It already had me rattled that it was a close race. 

Don't you live in Canada?? :tongue:

Hey don't get smart, just because it's not my problem doesn't mean it's not a problem one the same.

Quote:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement Tuesday night congratulating U.S. President Barack Obama on his re-election, saying that Canada and the U.S. "enjoy one of the closest and most extensive relationships in the world."

We're a lot closer than you think. ;D


Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:02 pm
Profile
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm
Posts: 1232
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
JumpingGirraffe wrote:
We're a lot closer than you think. ;D


If you're a lot closer than we think, why does it take so long for you to get the game I sent you??? Oh wait, that would be the US postal service....dangit!


Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm
Profile
5000+ Club
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 5166
Location: Somewhere in Canada eh?
3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
JHardin1112 wrote:
JumpingGirraffe wrote:
We're a lot closer than you think. ;D


If you're a lot closer than we think, why does it take so long for you to get the game I sent you??? Oh wait, that would be the US postal service....dangit!

Canada: 1
US: 0


Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 am
Posts: 7220
Location: USA
NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
JumpingGirraffe wrote:
We're a lot closer than you think. ;D

Actually, we're about 200 miles (3 1/2 hours).

_________________
NintendoFuse Editor & Forum Administrator.


Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:17 am
Posts: 3082
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
SirVenom wrote:
Fisher? Romney's running-mate was Ryan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deb_Fischer

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:03 pm
Profile
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:17 pm
Posts: 2628
Location: Eagleland
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
Ah, it seemed an odd juxtaposition.

By the way, my monologue wasn't intended to shut down conversation in any way. We all have our reasons for our positions - I simply gave one of mine. There is no "correct" view in something as subjective in politics.

I commend DarkWish for his continued support for the president. His reasons for supporting him are every bit as legitimate as my reasons for opposing him. Indeed, our reasons are probably the same - we just interpret the data differently.

_________________
Wise and profound quote.
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile
Podcast Producer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:39 pm
Posts: 7864
Location: Virginia
NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
SirVenom wrote:
Ah, it seemed an odd juxtaposition.

By the way, my monologue wasn't intended to shut down conversation in any way. We all have our reasons for our positions - I simply gave one of mine. There is no "correct" view in something as subjective in politics.

I commend DarkWish for his continued support for the president. His reasons for supporting him are every bit as legitimate as my reasons for opposing him. Indeed, our reasons are probably the same - we just interpret the data differently.

Agreed, what's cool about politics is we all have our different viewpoints and we each get an equal say, in the form of a vote, to try and get someone to represent our viewpoints. Although politics can get nasty fast, but in a conversation with open minded people, it can be interesting.

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Shy Guy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am
Posts: 427
Location: Omaha NE
3DS Friend Code:
2320-73733170
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
SirVenom wrote:
Fisher? Romney's running-mate was Ryan.

I don't think an election should be about voting money into your pocket, or for personal benefit by any stretch. My family has an annual income of... Well, let's just say that I worked half-time at minimum wage for a year and quit working for college in August, and I still have more money in savings than my parents.

It's sad what the economy can do... we used to run a successful business, live in a good-sized four-bedroom house that we built, and have the capacity to buy anything that caught our eye. California crashed and the construction market took a hit, and here we are.

The main reason why our business failed? Our business built and modified dairies, and the government pushed dairymen nearly to bankruptcy with harsh policies - many of them had to slaughter their cattle en masse to break even. The result - they did not expand or even update their facilities, which were a powerful driving force for the economy.

This did not only affect my family, but everyone I personally knew out there. Electricians, mechanics, carpenters, land developers, general contractors, and many more - these all depended, directly or indirectly, partly on the dairy industry of the central valley. Of all my friends I knew when I lived there, only two remain.

If this had only hurt my family but helped everyone else, it would be a net positive, and I would not have a case for less government. But, government interference not only destroyed our livelihood, but also that of all my old acquaintances and friends.

Maybe the government can't destroy my prospects as an engineer. We'll see.

ETA:

That said, congratulations Obama. I wish you all the best. The power to make or break us lies with you. I know you want the best for us, and you know that I disagree about how to achieve it. But, I hope that whatever you do works.

This could not be better worded. I'm sorry for your parents losses.

I have friends who's parents have owned a very successful business that has been not doing so well as of today. It is a good thing that they sold the company 7 months after the 2008 election because they would not be doing so good now. But they have 3 very large houses in the U.S and have a pile of money under them.

Government really has not gotten anywhere.

Please make GOOD changes Obama, for every one in America.

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:01 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm
Posts: 1232
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
DarkWish wrote:
SirVenom wrote:
Ah, it seemed an odd juxtaposition.

By the way, my monologue wasn't intended to shut down conversation in any way. We all have our reasons for our positions - I simply gave one of mine. There is no "correct" view in something as subjective in politics.

I commend DarkWish for his continued support for the president. His reasons for supporting him are every bit as legitimate as my reasons for opposing him. Indeed, our reasons are probably the same - we just interpret the data differently.

Agreed, what's cool about politics is we all have our different viewpoints and we each get an equal say, in the form of a vote, to try and get someone to represent our viewpoints. Although politics can get nasty fast, but in a conversation with open minded people, it can be interesting.


I voted for Mitt Romney. I tend to stay out of political discussion especially when there is a difference of opinions because it can indeed get nasty, fast. So, I try to be open minded and admit if I am not educated on a certain topic.

I can't help but be concerned for the next four years for multiple reasons. I hope and pray that he will do a good job.


Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:22 am
Profile
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am
Posts: 2584
Location: The Wall
NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
I also voted for Romney (absentee ballot) . I just really hate where our country is going and the values its promoting.

_________________
MARIOKART 7 OFFICIAL NINTENDOFUSE COMMUNITY CODES:

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349


Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Shy Guy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am
Posts: 427
Location: Omaha NE
3DS Friend Code:
2320-73733170
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
Gamer Greg wrote:
I also voted for Romney (absentee ballot) . I just really hate where our country is going and the values its promoting.

I thought you live in Chicago?

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 pm
Profile YIM
Pikmin Chucker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Posts: 1593
Location: Boise, Idaho
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
Had I been in my home state (Alaska) I would have voted for Romney. Didn't realize I wasn't going to be there this November and didn't apply for an absentee ballot. Either way my state did end up going for Romney.


Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:40 pm
Profile
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:17 pm
Posts: 2628
Location: Eagleland
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
DarkWish wrote:
Agreed, what's cool about politics is we all have our different viewpoints and we each get an equal say, in the form of a vote, to try and get someone to represent our viewpoints. Although politics can get nasty fast, but in a conversation with open minded people, it can be interesting.


Absolutely. And, the strange thing about politics is that we can never know what could have been. If McCain had won the election four years ago, we could be better off, worse off, or exactly the same. People ignore this too often.

But, we have a governing system that is very hard to break, as well as fantastic geography and natural resources - whatever happens under any administration, the nation will still come out right-side up.

_________________
Wise and profound quote.
Image


Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:58 pm
Profile
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am
Posts: 2584
Location: The Wall
NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
cocoa wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:
I also voted for Romney (absentee ballot) . I just really hate where our country is going and the values its promoting.

I thought you live in Chicago?


Not in the downtown area, but the burbs. I'm actually in Will county (south/southwest burbs) which is more dominantly red. Cook county contains the downtown area, and subsequently forces the state to be democratic. If you check out a voting by county, you'll see the entire state is red, except along the lake (Michigan), and this time near the Iowa border. The rest of the entire state is red. Many republicans like myself are upset that a single county forces the entire state to vote for a particular election.

_________________
MARIOKART 7 OFFICIAL NINTENDOFUSE COMMUNITY CODES:

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349


Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:17 pm
Posts: 2628
Location: Eagleland
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
It is a mistake to assume that everyone living in a blue city/state is a Democrat anyway. I was born and raised in California, and I'm conservative. I am not affiliated with any political party, though.

Likewise, I know plenty of Democrats here in Oklahoma, even though all counties here are deep red at election time.

_________________
Wise and profound quote.
Image


Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 pm
Profile
Shy Guy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am
Posts: 427
Location: Omaha NE
3DS Friend Code:
2320-73733170
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
Gamer Greg wrote:
cocoa wrote:
I thought you live in Chicago?


Not in the downtown area, but the burbs. I'm actually in Will county (south/southwest burbs) which is more dominantly red. Cook county contains the downtown area, and subsequently forces the state to be democratic. If you check out a voting by county, you'll see the entire state is red, except along the lake (Michigan), and this time near the Iowa border. The rest of the entire state is red. Many republicans like myself are upset that a single county forces the entire state to vote for a particular election.

Yeah I see now. Illinois looks more republican than democratic. I probley shouldn't make assumptions but your not nessesarily in chicago which is different. That's what I don't like about the electoral votes. They only focus on the bigger states. Why should, for example, people in Nebraska their vote doesn't count for as much as in like Florida. That's why they should go by popular vote.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Profile YIM
Pikmin Chucker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Posts: 1593
Location: Boise, Idaho
Post Re: Who Did You Vote For?
cocoa wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:
cocoa wrote:
I thought you live in Chicago?


Not in the downtown area, but the burbs. I'm actually in Will county (south/southwest burbs) which is more dominantly red. Cook county contains the downtown area, and subsequently forces the state to be democratic. If you check out a voting by county, you'll see the entire state is red, except along the lake (Michigan), and this time near the Iowa border. The rest of the entire state is red. Many republicans like myself are upset that a single county forces the entire state to vote for a particular election.

Yeah I see now. Illinois looks more republican than democratic. I probley shouldn't make assumptions but your not nessesarily in chicago which is different. That's what I don't like about the electoral votes. They only focus on the bigger states. Why should, for example, people in Nebraska their vote doesn't count for as much as in like Florida. That's why they should go by popular vote.

I wouldn't say the electoral college is necessarily the problem. The Constitution sets up the electoral collage and how many electors a state has based on population. The Constitution does not, however, explain how those electoral votes should be won. That is up to the states to decide. In this election every state set up their elector system as winner take all. A state could split up their electoral votes between candidates much like Nebraska did in 2008. 4 of Nebraska's 5 electoral votes went to the McCain/Palin ticket while the remaining vote contributed to the Obama/Biden ticket and eventual win. If the larger states such as California, Texas, New York or Florida used a system like this it would eliminate a lot of the controversy surrounding the electoral college while braking up the Democrat or Republican stronghold on key states. This would particularly even up the 55 electoral votes that California has. Instead of the whole state going to the Democrats, Republicans would be able to claim a portion of those votes.
Furthermore in order to switch the Presidential election to popular vote it would take a Constitutional Amendment. Those are sort of difficult to pass. Having the states split up their electoral votes wouldn't take a Constitutional Amendment because, as I stated earlier, the Constitution doesn't state how the electoral votes should be cast among the states, making it an easier solution.


Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum style by ST Software.