It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Official developer's thread: 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on Nintendo 3DS™ 
Fire Flower

Post Official developer's thread: 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on Nintendo 3DS™
Hello,

This is an official thread from QubicGames to answer gamers' questions.

2 Fast 4 Gnomz is available through the Nintendo 3DS eShop™ in North America.
You can check 2 Fast 4 Gnomz trailer here and reviews of the game in some Nintendo dedicated websites.

If you have any questions about the game, I will be happy to answer them.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Post Re: Official developer's thread: 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on Nintendo
QubicGames wrote:
Hello,

This is an official thread from QubicGames to answer gamers' questions.

2 Fast 4 Gnomz is available through the Nintendo 3DS eShop™ in North America.
You can check 2 Fast 4 Gnomz trailer here and reviews of the game in some Nintendo dedicated websites.

If you have any questions about the game, I will be happy to answer them.

Wow! Hello all at QubicGames! My name is Jeremy, I am one of the editors and reviewers for NintendoFuse. I just wanted to say thanks for joining us here and creating this topic for us.

Just to let you know, forum member Gamer_Greg is the one who just reviewed 2 Fast 4 Gnomz last week ---> http://www.wiinintendo.net/2012/11/01/review-2-fast-4-gnomz/ and he gave it quite a high review. He is out of town until mid week, but I bet he'll weigh in on this topic when he can.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:58 am
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Okay, here are some questions for you.

How long has QubicGames been in existence?
    How large is your development team?
    Where are you located?
    How many games have you created so far?
    How long have you been developing for Nintendo?
    How long did it take to create 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on WiiWare? How long did it take to bring it over to the 3DS?
    Where did the concept for this game even come from?
    What other games are you working on now or plan to work on in the near future?
    Do you have any plans on developing for the Wii U? If so, is there anything in the works right now?

Phew! Okay, I may have some others for you a little later, but I'll give you time to respond to these for right now.

Thanks!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 pm
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Thanks, QubicGames for checking us out and joining in the forums! Looking forward to hearing more from you all.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

@JHardin1112
Thank you for the warm welcome and your interest into our studio.
Here the answers to your questions:

"How long has QubicGames been in existence?"

QubicGames is born in 2004. So it's been in existence for more than 6 years.

"How large is your development team?"

The development team counts around 12 people.

"Where are you located?"

We are located in Warsaw, Poland.

"How many games have you created so far?"

We have created 7 games: CORE, Remote Racers, My Little Restaurant, My Little Garden, AiRace, Gnomz, 2 Fast 4 Gnomz. More info: http://www.qubicgames.com/games

"How long have you been developing for Nintendo?"

We have been developing on Nintendo for almost 3 years.

"How long did it take to create 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on WiiWare? How long did it take to bring it over to the 3DS?"

It took less than 3 months to create 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on WiiWare and around half a year to create the 3DS version.

"Where did the concept for this game even come from?"

We have developed in the past "Gnomz" for WiiWare. We liked the concept of "not so harmless" gnomes. It gives a fake cartoonist children-oriented spirit whereas the game is actually more adult-oriented. We enjoyed this kind of ironic humor in the concept of using brave and fearless gnomes. Then after Gnomz came the idea of using these characters and art style for creating a platform runner game.

"What other games are you working on now or plan to work on in the near future?"

We are working on AiRace: SPE3D which will be released on 3DS around the beginning of 2013. It is the continuation of AiRace: Tunnel but with a much more advanced gameplay and design.
We also plan to make a new platform game and to have an official "to realise" idea before the end of this year.

"Do you have any plans on developing for the Wii U? If so, is there anything in the works right now?"

We are thinking about developing for the Wii U but do not have any concrete plans yet.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
QubicGames wrote:
@JHardin1112
Thank you for the warm welcome and your interest into our studio. You're welcome!
Here the answers to your questions:

"How long has QubicGames been in existence?"

QubicGames is born in 2004. So it's been in existence for more than 6 years. So you've been around for more than 6 years. How is your business doing with the 7 games you developed? Is 2 Fast 4 Gnomz making you much profit yet? How are the sales?

"How large is your development team?"

The development team counts around 12 people. Okay, neat. What language are you programmers using for your games?

"Where are you located?"

We are located in Warsaw, Poland. Cool. I believe that is only about 4 hours from Pope John Paul II's home town of Wadowice.

"How many games have you created so far?"

We have created 7 games: CORE, Remote Racers, My Little Restaurant, My Little Garden, AiRace, Gnomz, 2 Fast 4 Gnomz. More info: http://www.qubicgames.com/games 7 games in just over 6 years is nice. I see some of your games are App Store games. Do you plan on focusing on just one platform or are you open to developing on any platform? I noticed that none of your 7 games were for Xbox or PS3 storefronts.

"How long have you been developing for Nintendo?"

We have been developing on Nintendo for almost 3 years. Was it easy for you to get approved as a Nintendo developer? How is your relationship with Nintendo? How is it working with them?

"How long did it take to create 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on WiiWare? How long did it take to bring it over to the 3DS?"

It took less than 3 months to create 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on WiiWare and around half a year to create the 3DS version. It seems as though the WiiWare game was much easier to create. Why did the 3DS version take twice as long? Is the 3DS more difficult to develop for versus WiiWare?

"Where did the concept for this game even come from?"

We have developed in the past "Gnomz" for WiiWare. We liked the concept of "not so harmless" gnomes. It gives a fake cartoonist children-oriented spirit whereas the game is actually more adult-oriented. We enjoyed this kind of ironic humor in the concept of using brave and fearless gnomes. Then after Gnomz came the idea of using these characters and art style for creating a platform runner game. I like the idea of collecting socks and the dancing treasure chest is entertaining.

"What other games are you working on now or plan to work on in the near future?"

We are working on AiRace: SPE3D which will be released on 3DS around the beginning of 2013. It is the continuation of AiRace: Tunnel but with a much more advanced gameplay and design.
We also plan to make a new platform game and to have an official "to realise" idea before the end of this year. Is AiRace: SPE3D a full retail title or a downloadable title? Are there any assets or dev progress you can share with us?

"Do you have any plans on developing for the Wii U? If so, is there anything in the works right now?"

We are thinking about developing for the Wii U but do not have any concrete plans yet. Well I wish you guys luck and I hope you can make it onto Wii U!

One last question for now. Why are there no online leaderboards for 2 Fast 4 Gnomz? Is it an issue on your end or on Nintendo's end?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:19 pm
Fire Flower

QubicGames is born in 2004. So it's been in existence for more than 6 years. So you've been around for more than 6 years. How is your business doing with the 7 games you developed? Is 2 Fast 4 Gnomz making you much profit yet? How are the sales?
Actually from 2004 to 2012 makes 8 years, my mistake :) The business is going well and we are satisfied with the sales of 2 Fast 4 Gnomz.

The development team counts around 12 people. Okay, neat. What language are you programmers using for your games? We are using mainly C++.

We have created 7 games: CORE, Remote Racers, My Little Restaurant, My Little Garden, AiRace, Gnomz, 2 Fast 4 Gnomz. More info: http://www.qubicgames.com/games 7 games in just over 6 years is nice. I see some of your games are App Store games. Do you plan on focusing on just one platform or are you open to developing on any platform? I noticed that none of your 7 games were for Xbox or PS3 storefronts.
Yes we are open to developing on other platforms, Mac, PC, Xbox, PS3, Wii U...

We have been developing on Nintendo for almost 3 years. Was it easy for you to get approved as a Nintendo developer? How is your relationship with Nintendo? How is it working with them?
Nothing is easy :) Our relationship with Nintendo is very good. They give an efficient support.

It took less than 3 months to create 2 Fast 4 Gnomz on WiiWare and around half a year to create the 3DS version. It seems as though the WiiWare game was much easier to create. Why did the 3DS version take twice as long? Is the 3DS more difficult to develop for versus WiiWare?
We already developed Gnomz for WiiWare. That's why the development of 2 Fast 4 Gnomz was quite fast on this console. In the contrary, 2 Fast 4 Gnomz was our first 3DS game. Therefore it took longer to work with this new system and also with the 3D display.

We also plan to make a new platform game and to have an official "to realise" idea before the end of this year. Is AiRace: SPE3D a full retail title or a downloadable title? Are there any assets or dev progress you can share with us?
AiRace: SPE3D will be a downloadable title. If the game is successful we might create AiRace 2, as a retail and downloadable title for Nintendo 3DS most probably.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Thanks for the replies!

Although, I was still wondering about the lack of leaderboards. Is this because of limited resources on your end or has Nintendo not been helpful in regards to the online leaderboards?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am
Fire Flower

Including online leaderboards would involve some technical and design specifications we were not completely happy about for 2 Fast 4 Gnomz. It would also involve more testing and therefore some delays for the release of the game, which we didn't want either.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:05 am
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

AiRace: SPE3D will include leaderboards :)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
QubicGames wrote:
AiRace: SPE3D will include leaderboards :)

Online or local only?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:19 am
Fire Flower

Online.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
QubicGames wrote:
Online.

Excellent! Thanks!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 am
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I did get to read this thread, just had limited availability.

I did have a minor idea to help improve the series in the future, and it might work a little better to use buttons for the different phases. I felt the D-pad was a little difficult to get used to, and had minor troubles switching from up to down or going from right to down (and vice versa). I didn't mention it in the review since I didn't want to make it seem like I was pushing this as a preference.

Just as a right handed person, and gamer, it feels more natural to activate, use abilities with the right hand (like using buttons) and saving the left hand for control of the character (like moving up/down/left/right). The fast forward/speed was fine with the left hand using right on the D-pad, but I felt the gliding and charging abilities fit better using buttons. The rewinding of time was fine using left on the D-pad.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
QubicGames wrote:
The business is going well and we are satisfied with the sales of 2 Fast 4 Gnomz.

Does this mean a sequel will be coming in the future? We can help generate ideas for other controls. I was surprised I liked the game as much as I did. The game is very addictive and has that level of challenge that can be conquered.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

@Gamer Greg
Thank you for sharing your opinion about the controls.
First I think that the main reason of the actual controls come from the WiiWare version. Indeed with the Wiimote we could only use the arrows and 2 buttons. Therefore one was for the jump, which is natural with the right hand and then the controls for the 4 other abilities had to be on the arrows.
On the 3DS version we decided to stick on the same concept.
As you said the gamer is used to move the character up/down/right/left with the pad or arrows. Actually this is almost what he is doing with the gnome: speeding makes you go right, traveling in time makes you go left, charging makes you go down. Ok for gliding it is true that it's not making you go up. But jumping with the button A is a standard, that's why we chose this option.
We have been thinking about using LB and RB for speeding, traveling in time or gliding but finally decided not to.
The current controls have the advantage of allowing the user to use only one ability at a time. Therefore the gnome can't glide and speed up in the same time for example.
He can only combine these 4 very specific abilities with jumping.

No sequel of the game is planned. But we are always happy to hear about gamers' ideas and opinions. There's always room for improvement and let's see how much enthusiasm is around 2 Fast 4 Gnomz.
I am glad you enjoy the game. I am even glad you are addicted to it muhahaha :D
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
QubicGames wrote:
@Gamer Greg

As you said the gamer is used to move the character up/down/right/left with the pad or arrows. Actually this is almost what he is doing with the gnome: speeding makes you go right, traveling in time makes you go left, charging makes you go down. Ok for gliding it is true that it's not making you go up. But jumping with the button A is a standard, that's why we chose this option.
We have been thinking about using LB and RB for speeding, traveling in time or gliding but finally decided not to.
The current controls have the advantage of allowing the user to use only one ability at a time. Therefore the gnome can't glide and speed up in the same time for example.
He can only combine these 4 very specific abilities with jumping.

No problem at all! I hope to try to 9-star the majority of the levels. Some are really hard though. I think there was a part in world III (I want to say like 6 or 7) where I died like 128 times. It was a longer section to cover, and it was like jump, quick jump, glide, charge, fast foward, charge, glide, fast foward... or something it was a ton of changes and I kept trying to grab every sock too.

I guess I'm just more classic gamer using a button to "run" as opposed to using the directional. But of course, that is for games where you need right to move to the right on the screen (I.e. Super Mario games). It works, just when in the thick of things having move super fast to make it through the closing then immediately charge to dodge a whirlwind and then speed up to make the next gate and being ready to jump and glide, it gets a little too fast and trying to keep up with the switching. And when you are graded on deaths, it's hard to do a perfect run, particularly on those world III and IV levels.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

@Gamer Greg
I think I died around 230 times before completing for the first time the 2nd nightmare level. There was one small part I really had troubles with.
I was so tired of doing it again and again but enjoyed this addiction and challenge over my brain :)
Now I can complete it quite easily. It's funny to see how good at anything one can become with practice :D

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Welcome to our forums!!

Would an update/patch with leader boards be possible for the future at all or not worth it?

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

@hattrick
Thank you!
No update with leaderboards is planned.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Fire Flower

The demo of "2 Fast 4 Gnomz" is now available through the eShop in North America.

It's a special gift from Santa Gnome:

Try it now :)

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Excited to try it out, and for others to get a chance to try it without buying it first.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]