Wii U - Info & Discussion 
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Wii U - Info & Discussion
Utsi wrote:

P.S.
Once the survey shows up for you, could you PM me the expiration date? If it's before April 2013 I might have to get a friend to open up my Wii U in Canada for me and email the console code.

Thanks! There won't be a code, the Deluxe has to link to the eShop for the survey to appear. There is no code to enter.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
JHardin1112 wrote:
I will make sure to add each of you and to post my ID. Have any of you guys done a video chat with each other? If not, I'd like to 'meet' you guys 'face to face' just once at least, if you guys want.

I did one with Greg the other day. But yea, I'm definitely up for doing it some time, just let me know.

On a side note, I posted this on Twitter but not here... saves from retail titles DO work with the digital versions of the games. I got rid of my Nintendo Land and Assassin's Creed III disks and downloaded those games.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
DarkWish wrote:
JHardin1112 wrote:
I will make sure to add each of you and to post my ID. Have any of you guys done a video chat with each other? If not, I'd like to 'meet' you guys 'face to face' just once at least, if you guys want.

I did one with Greg the other day. But yea, I'm definitely up for doing it some time, just let me know.

I'd be open as well. As DarkWish said I did one with him. I attempted one with Steve, but he was in a quiet only type of scenario that night. I did one with my buddy who just got the system.

It's a cool feature, and as I told DarkWish, I just have the the Wii U chat preview stuck in my head between Iwata and Reggie.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

So can the Wii U Pro Controller replace the Classic Controller for VC and WiiWare games that were previously purchased on the Wii?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Weave wrote:
So can the Wii U Pro Controller replace the Classic Controller for VC and WiiWare games that were previously purchased on the Wii?

No. Anything Wii related can only be controlled with Wii stuff. You literally have to load up basically a "Wii Menu" for Wii stuff. Wii stuff remains exactly the same.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Ugh, that's kind of frustrating. That seems more like lazy programming than anything else. I guess that gives me a reason to keep my gold Classic Controller Pro around if I ever do pick up a Wii U. Kind of sucks for all those people that use the GCN controller for Brawl or Mario Kart Wii. With the data on the Wii U they will be forced to play with either a sideways Wii Remote, Nunchuk, or Classic Controller.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:06 am
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weave wrote:
Ugh, that's kind of frustrating. That seems more like lazy programming than anything else. I guess that gives me a reason to keep my gold Classic Controller Pro around if I ever do pick up a Wii U. Kind of sucks for all those people that use the GCN controller for Brawl or Mario Kart Wii. With the data on the Wii U they will be forced to play with either a sideways Wii Remote, Nunchuk, or Classic Controller.

I actually preferred wiimote & nunchuck on Mariokart Wii. Played much better than the wheel, GC remote and classic for me.

Smash I did try one random day within the past few months and was horrible without the GC controller. That one will ne hard, so will likely use the pro on the new game. Its comfortable and works well with COD, although I do like the GamePad as I'm able to play without the TV.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Gamer Greg wrote:
Weave wrote:

I actually preferred wiimote & nunchuck on Mariokart Wii. Played much better than the wheel, GC remote and classic for me.

Smash I did try one random day within the past few months and was horrible without the GC controller. That one will ne hard, so will likely use the pro on the new game. Its comfortable and works well with COD, although I do like the GamePad as I'm able to play without the TV.

That s how I played Mario Kart as well. As for Brawl I used the sideways Wii Remote. My friends on the other hand only use the GCN controller and I doubt they want to learn a new control scheme.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:38 pm
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Weave wrote:
Gamer Greg wrote:
Weave wrote:

That s how I played Mario Kart as well. As for Brawl I used the sideways Wii Remote. My friends on the other hand only use the GCN controller and I doubt they want to learn a new control scheme.

Grrr... I never thought about that. Oh well, I guess my Classic will work similarly for Brawl. I also used the nunchuk for MK.

The "Wii Channel" is kind of dumb, IMO. Similar to how they did GCN on Wii, though, so I guess they didn't learn anything from that...

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Same story with the DS and 3DS, you can't suspend a DS game or DSiWare, you can only back completely out to the home menu. It's not as big of a deal though because control schemes aren't sacrificed in this case.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:36 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Weave wrote:
Same story with the DS and 3DS, you can't suspend a DS game or DSiWare, you can only back completely out to the home menu. It's not as big of a deal though because control schemes aren't sacrificed in this case.

Right. Not as big of a deal with those.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
Weave wrote:

It's fine that they let you use the DSiWare on the menu, so I don't see the big deal not having the VC/Wiiware on the Wii U Menu. I don't care if I have to sync the Wii remote to play the Wiiware, but it's much better that I don't have to load "Wii" mode then launch it.

I didn't even redownload my titles yet, I just find that part of the integration to be pretty stupid. Why couldn't it have worked like Wii? That it just detected a Cube disc and then launched it? Why can't the VC be on the main menu? That's what is frustrating for me.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Gamer Greg wrote:
hattrick wrote:
Weave wrote:

It's fine that they let you use the DSiWare on the menu, so I don't see the big deal not having the VC/Wiiware on the Wii U Menu. I don't care if I have to sync the Wii remote to play the Wiiware, but it's much better that I don't have to load "Wii" mode then launch it.

I didn't even redownload my titles yet, I just find that part of the integration to be pretty stupid. Why couldn't it have worked like Wii? That it just detected a Cube disc and then launched it? Why can't the VC be on the main menu? That's what is frustrating for me.

Yeah, I could even be ok with the discs functioning that way, I guess, if they would allow WiiWare and VC games to play from Wii U menu.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
I think the main reason it was done that way was for homebrew purposes. The DS required a flash card to do homebrew, so that's different. Wii could be hacked with a simple SD card. So this way they are able to contain those exploits completely on the "Wii mode". Hackers are already figuring out ways to get the Homebrew Channel in the Wii mode on Wii U... but that won't affect Wii U at all, so that's great.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

DarkWish wrote:
I think the main reason it was done that way was for homebrew purposes. The DS required a flash card to do homebrew, so that's different. Wii could be hacked with a simple SD card. So this way they are able to contain those exploits completely on the "Wii mode". Hackers are already figuring out ways to get the Homebrew Channel in the Wii mode on Wii U... but that won't affect Wii U at all, so that's great.

People will find ways to hack systems no matter what. Hindering the regular use of the system for people who aren't going to hack seems unnecessary. At this point I think I'm going to just keep all my Wii data on my Wii and keep it because it has GameCube functionality. My Wii U (if or when I get one) will be solely for Wii U games.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Weave wrote:
DarkWish wrote:

People will find ways to hack systems no matter what. Hindering the regular use of the system for people who aren't going to hack seems unnecessary. At this point I think I'm going to just keep all my Wii data on my Wii and keep it because it has GameCube functionality. My Wii U (if or when I get one) will be solely for Wii U games.

Yea, but piracy is another thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there's no way to play pirated PS3 games still. I know the 3DS is far from been hacked... heck, even the DSi has not been hacked. So it's a a pretty valid reason IMO.

And I don't see how anything is necessarily hindered. You're not losing any functionality with Wii games on Wii U, except for WiiConnect24 stuff which isn't a big deal. Plus, some people make it out to be more cumbersome than it is... just turn on Wii U with a Wii Remote and select the Wii Menu and you're good to go. You don't need the GamePad or anything. I don't know, I guess I prefer having my Wii stuff on Wii U since my Wii is like dying and having it all on one system is great.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

DarkWish wrote:
Weave wrote:
DarkWish wrote:

Yea, but piracy is another thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there's no way to play pirated PS3 games still. I know the 3DS is far from been hacked... heck, even the DSi has not been hacked. So it's a a pretty valid reason IMO.

And I don't see how anything is necessarily hindered. You're not losing any functionality with Wii games on Wii U, except for WiiConnect24 stuff which isn't a big deal. Plus, some people make it out to be more cumbersome than it is... just turn on Wii U with a Wii Remote and select the Wii Menu and you're good to go. You don't need the GamePad or anything. I don't know, I guess I prefer having my Wii stuff on Wii U since my Wii is like dying and having it all on one system is great.

The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't have been cumbersome at all. All Nintendo did was package the Wii inside of a Wii U instead of integrating the Wii's hardware into the Wii U's in a way that would have been intuitive. I'm not saying this is some huge problem that will stop me from getting a Wii U because like I said earlier I just won't transfer my Wii data, I just think that it was lazy on Nintendo's part to not make the Wii's predecessor as seamless as possible when playing Wii games seeing as how they retained the Wii name for the system.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 am
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Weave wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't have been cumbersome at all. All Nintendo did was package the Wii inside of a Wii U instead of integrating the Wii's hardware into the Wii U's in a way that would have been intuitive. I'm not saying this is some huge problem that will stop me from getting a Wii U because like I said earlier I just won't transfer my Wii data, I just think that it was lazy on Nintendo's part to not make the Wii's predecessor as seamless as possible when playing Wii games seeing as how they retained the Wii name for the system.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's clear Nintendo wanted to avoid piracy issues with Wii U. Even the DSi hasn't been hacked yet... it's going to be a long time before Wii U is hacked, if ever. If they kept Wii stuff integrated into Wii U, then the chances of exploits would be far greater. And the sooner the system gets hacked, the sooner publishers may become wary of releasing games onto the system... especially onto the eShop. And considering that's my way of purchasing Wii U games, I've very glad that's not the case. Besides, if it was integrated into the Wii U itself, there would be confusion over Wii Virtual Console titles and Wii U Virtual Console titles. They wouldn't be able to just allow Wii VC games to be played on the GamePad or use any of the other features without reworking the game's code for each and every title. That's why they're having a separate Wii U VC. We don't need more customer confusion.

So I wouldn't call it lazy, I'd call it being protective over their system. Nintendo doesn't want it to get hacked like crazy like Wii was. And so far, they've been successful at that goal with every system they've released since Wii. So more power to them.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Waddle Dee

3DS Friend Code:
Post wiiU questions
i not aloud to play with my wiiU so dont ask me questions but any way this is a topic were you can ask questions about the wiiU.here is a question i have. so im asking is it hard to hook it up?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:42 am
Profile YIM WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: wiiU questions
It's as easy to hook up as Wii, if not easier (since the GamePad is much easier to sync than Wii Remotes).

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15