It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What Nintendo game gives you that nostalgia feeling? 
5000+ Club

3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
Post What Nintendo game gives you that nostalgia feeling?
Gamecube/GBA games and down. What Nintendo game just gives you that nostalgia feeling, when you think about, or start playing it again? :D

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:15 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Post Re: What Nintendo game gives you that nostalgia feeling?
Donkey Kong
Galaga
Frogger
Super Mario Bros.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Super Ninja Boy for the SNES. My brother and I used to play the game together and it was a blast.
Also, King of the Monsters II for SNES. That was the game we probably played the most.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:20 pm
5000+ Club

Considering Ninty games dont evolve its hard to say when one is experiencing nostalgia, in most cases, once youve played one, youve played them all. The one I would name, Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness, seemed to be third party developed, though my nostalgic one.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pikmin Chucker

Trist...ugh, anyways Mario Bros. 3 is probably one of the move nostalgic video games for me. I think Ocarina of Time is a close second, oh and Paper Mario.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 pm
Forum Administrator

xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Ninty games dont evolve

Right, whatever.

For me, it's Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:33 pm
Pokémon Master

xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Considering Ninty games dont evolve its hard to say when one is experiencing nostalgia, in most cases, once youve played one, youve played them all.

I think most cases of nostalgia come from the finer details of the games, not the overall gameplay. Like the music, or level design. For example, Link's Awakening's music provides a lot of nostalgia for me, despite it being the same melody present in many other Zelda titles. Nostalgia tends to be a memory of playing the game triggered by a certain sensory input. Music of all kinds tends to get linked to memories, so game music typically does the same.

Also, seeing certain parts of game worlds can evoke nostalgia. One example for me is the waterfall in Zora's Domain from Ocarina of Time. Seeing that area brings memories of repeatedly running to the top of the waterfall and then jumping down to the water (or ice) below.

The rest of you should make less dismissive comments towards Trist, and more to help clarify why he is wrong. In this case, the evolution and differentiation of games is negligible in terms of nostalgia. Simply addressing that you disagree only invites him to continue to make his comments that you'll only get mad about later down the line. So, you should either not react to him, or do your best to make your case. If you don't, it's your own fault that Trist goes on about things that you think are wrong, which typically leads to him being called a troll.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 pm
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
schmete wrote:
The rest of you should make less dismissive comments towards Trist, and more to help clarify why he is wrong. In this case, the evolution and differentiation of games is negligible in terms of nostalgia. Simply addressing that you disagree only invites him to continue to make his comments that you'll only get mad about later down the line. So, you should either not react to him, or do your best to make your case. If you don't, it's your own fault that Trist goes on about things that you think are wrong, which typically leads to him being called a troll.

No, not really. I've tried for over 4 years to explain things and it didn't work... that's not going to magically change now.

There are multiple Nintendo games that do, but actually more during the GameCube era, that was very nostalgic to me. That's mainly because that's when I actually started buying a steady supply of games and when my sisters were into games too, so I always had people to play with. Because of that, I have great nostalgia for various series: Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, etc. Those are just some series that anytime a new game gets announced, I flip out... because it reminds me of the insane amount of fun I had with them, and I still do with all the new entries in those series. There are other games too, but I could go on and on.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
(fighting soooo hard internally to know if I should say anything or now. ok I will say something short.)

Trist, nostalgia is all PERSONAL and in the eye of the beholder. So, it is different for everyone.

That being said, Excitebike is another one that brings nostalgia feelings for me.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

Schmete, you've seen that I have done exactly that over the past few weeks, twice over that exact comment (play one and you've played them all). You have also seen that he completely ignored my points in order to prolong the pointless arguments. It's of no use to go through all of that again.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:19 pm
5000+ Club

schmete wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Considering Ninty games dont evolve its hard to say when one is experiencing nostalgia, in most cases, once youve played one, youve played them all.

I think most cases of nostalgia come from the finer details of the games, not the overall gameplay. Like the music, or level design. For example, Link's Awakening's music provides a lot of nostalgia for me, despite it being the same melody present in many other Zelda titles. Nostalgia tends to be a memory of playing the game triggered by a certain sensory input. Music of all kinds tends to get linked to memories, so game music typically does the same.

Also, seeing certain parts of game worlds can evoke nostalgia. One example for me is the waterfall in Zora's Domain from Ocarina of Time. Seeing that area brings memories of repeatedly running to the top of the waterfall and then jumping down to the water (or ice) below.

Well in that case for me, it would probably be anything Golden Sun related, as in all that in Super Smash Bros Brawl with the Golden Sun assist trophy and musical selection (from Motoi Sakuraba).

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

SirVenom wrote:
Schmete, you've seen that I have done exactly that over the past few weeks, twice over that exact comment (play one and you've played them all). You have also seen that he completely ignored my points in order to prolong the pointless arguments. It's of no use to go through all of that again.

Typically those comments were somewhat valid. In terms of gameplay, certain Nintendo games don't have a ton of variation. It's not a bad thing, though. Many Final Fantasy games are only different in plot and setting, but play, for the most part, identically. In this case, it's not a valid statement, because gameplay typically doesn't effect nostalgia.

Actually, now that I think of it, playing a sequel to a game can cause nostalgia for a predecessor, so I guess gameplay can be a part of it. But, in that case, them being so similar would make it more likely to cause nostalgia, not less.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:18 am
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
hattrick wrote:
nostalgia is all PERSONAL and in the eye of the beholder. So, it is different for everyone.

I agree.

That being said, here are just three of many games which stir up nostalgia within me.

Little Nemo: The DreamMaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQKJ-nyBFA&t=2m55s
DuckTales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zfOBOYLwo

Super Mario 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=davCKKtgqak

I tried using the [youtube] tag but it wouldn't show the movies in my post. So I opted to include the youtube links themselves.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 am
Koopa

As much as I play the classic NES games, Link to the Past and Mario RPG give me the most nostalgia out of all the old games I play. I grew up playing those and still enjoy them as much as I used to.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:06 pm
Wrist Strap

Two of the few games I played from beginning to end several times are that bring up nostalgia (when I was a kid). are zelda: a link to the past and mario kart for super nintendo, according to wiiuinsiders, its gonna rock.

Last edited by redyoshi on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:26 am
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

Nostalgic feelings*

Bobius,Thu, 10 Jan 2008, 21:29 wrote:
I shall assume Mike is right as he is Mike.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:09 pm
Pokémon Master

Nostalgic feeling*

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:24 pm
Pokémon Master

Feeling of nostalgia*

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:06 pm
Forum Administrator

English has a really useful feature by which a noun can be directly prepended to another noun and thereby take on adjectival qualities. E.g., "seatbelt", "nail gun", "alarm clock", etc. With that in mind, I wouldn't bother correcting such things as "nostalgia feeling", except in a professional or pedagogical context.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:53 pm
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

Charmy wrote:
Nostalgic feeling*

This.
schmete wrote:
Feeling of nostalgia*
No.
SirVenom wrote:
English has a really useful feature by which a noun can be directly prepended to another noun and thereby take on adjectival qualities. E.g., "seatbelt", "nail gun", "alarm clock", etc. With that in mind, I wouldn't bother correcting such things as "nostalgia feeling", except in a professional or pedagogical context.
Shaddap.

Bobius,Thu, 10 Jan 2008, 21:29 wrote:
I shall assume Mike is right as he is Mike.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Space Pirate

3DS Friend Code:
0619-3199-4715
Pokemon red, Zelda Majora's mask, Mario 64, or any Mario game, and how could I forget super mario bros, oh and duck hunt.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 pm
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
More than anything else, super Mario bros 2 on Nes, for the reason being that it had the different feel for the first and third.

Actually wish they would do a sequel to that. Then maybe finally we could play as princess toadstool. :shock:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm
Forum Administrator

I will add to my "list" Pokemon Red, Gold, and TCG.

Pokemon Red was like nothing else - it was a new kind of game with a large world to explore. I had no idea how many Pokemon there were, but there always seemed to be one I didn't have yet.

Rumors floated around the internet about the mythical "Chrono Mew", which was supposedly hidden under a truck by the S.S. Whatever-that-boat-was-called. Indeed, that truck was by the boat and could only be reached by surfing, but no matter how many times Geodude used Strength, it wouldn't budge.

Gold had all the mystique that Red had. Just reread the paragraph before last, replacing "Red" with "Gold," and then some anecdote about a Gen-2 myth. Thanks for saving me from typing that out myself.

Pokemon TCG came with my GBC. The music, the battles, card pop... Good memories.

No other Pokemon game can duplicate these feelings, simply because no Pokemon game can be "new" and still be Pokemon. Perhaps more importantly, I can't become a child again to actually enjoy games like I used to. An adult just doesn't have the same sense of wonder that a seven-year old has, and so my attention and valuable time are harder to take.

</20yearoldgeezer>

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:17 pm
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
batmanjokergorden wrote:
More than anything else, super Mario bros 2 on Nes, for the reason being that it had the different feel for the first and third.

Actually wish they would do a sequel to that. Then maybe finally we could play as princess toadstool. :shock:

A lot of people were hoping that "New SMB 2" would be the sequel, as 1 was like the original, and people were thinking 2 would be like the original 2nd one. But I think Nintendo has heard this concern, so maybe we might see it at some point.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Super Mario World always gets me. Even the music. Also Balloon Kid on the Gameboy. That is a CLASSIC. LOVE IT.

Do any of these bring back memories to anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ZE9OPTKCA

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next