It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Review: Otterbox Commuter for iPhone 5 
Rifle Grunt

Post Review: Otterbox Commuter for iPhone 5
NintendoFuse News

Okay, so this isn’t exactly Nintendo related. But I’m sure there are many iPhone users out there and so this could be potentially useful to you all. Thanks to the folks at Mobile Fun USA, I have a review of the Otterbox Commuter case for the iPhone 5. I’ve linked to a video review, but I’ve also written a review for your reading pleasure below, so check it out.

Otterbox is known for the good protection that its cases offer, and this case is no exception. Unlike the Otterbox Defender, this case doesn’t feel that bulky. On the iPhone 5, it almost feels like it has the weight of an iPhone 4 without a case. The thickness, however, is more apparent. The iPhone 5 is a very slim phone, but you somewhat lose that slimness with the Otterbox Commuter case. Overall, the feel of the case is that it adds some heft, but it doesn’t feel bulky.

In terms of the look, it has a simple design. The Otterbox Commuter is two layers. There is an inside rubbery layer that fits around the iPhone 5, which also covers the buttons and ports on the phone. Then on the outside is a hard shell which the rubbery layer fits into. This adds some protection to the phone. The combination of rubber and hard plastic feels okay in the hand, there isn’t anything uncomfortable about it.

Unlike the Otterbox Defender, the Commuter leaves a little bit uncovered. The camera lense area and the Apple logo on the back of the iPhone 5 remain exposed, however the hard shell around those locations makes it unlikely that anything will damage them. The case also comes with a screen protector, so the front of the phone is not left completely naked either. The buttons are also nicely covered, although one issue is that the cover for the Lightning port doesn’t fully close. So what’s the overall verdict?

Review Score: 4/5

The Otterbox Commuter case for iPhone 5 offers up good protection and doesn’t add much weight, however it adds some thickness to the phone. It has a simple look, which can look bland unless you pick a nice color combination. But overall, it gets the job done and is a nice, solid case.

Thank you to Mobile Fun USA for the review copy. You can check out the Otterbox Commuter case for iPhone 5 at Mobile Fun USA.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:31 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Mr. Game & Watch

Post Re: Review: Otterbox Commuter for iPhone 5
I hate cases.

But for the iPhone 5, I decided to try something new. I got a *beautiful* leather wallet that holds my iPhone, but I still need to take it out to use it, so I won't be covering up all that awesome aluminum/glass.

I got a Hard Graft Fold Wallet. http://www.hardgraft.com

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 am
Pokémon Master

Post Review: Otterbox Commuter for iPhone 5
I was considering getting a case similar to that, Jack. I don't like adding bulk to the phone, but I want to keep it protected. I already had my 5 slip out of my pocket at the movie theater and it has a small dent in the aluminum on the corner (it landed on the bracket/bolt securing the seat, of course). My temporary solution was to apply a suede back panel that I got with my old ElementCase for my 4. It creates enough friction to keep it in my pocket, so that's good enough for now, but I want a pouch case for the long term. I just have to find one...

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:12 am
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Yea, I'm not gonna be using the Otterbox Commuter on my phone, too much for me. What I'm using is the Incipio Frequency, which just covers the side and back and it's very minimal in terms of what it adds in thickness and weight. But I at least wanted something to prevent the scratches since the phone can easily get scratched on the sides.

I'll put up a video review of the Incipio Frequency in a few days.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

I just watched the video. Well done, DW. Not a fan of Otterbox cases, but you did a good job confirming the fact that I won't ever want one.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
schmete wrote:
I just watched the video. Well done, DW. Not a fan of Otterbox cases, but you did a good job confirming the fact that I won't ever want one.

Haha thanks, glad I could confirm that.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

schmete wrote:
I was considering getting a case similar to that, Jack.

If you want something basic and cheaper than anything Hard Graft offers (the GBP to USD rate succccks), there's this.

http://www.mujjo.com/iphone-5-wallet-brown-wool-felt

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 pm
Full marks to your typical 'review skill'. You seriously highlight uniqueness of Otterbox case. I read it thoroughly and got a feeling and convinced that it is a good choice as an iPhone case.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 am
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
graham77 wrote:
Full marks to your typical 'review skill'. You seriously highlight uniqueness of Otterbox case. I read it thoroughly and got a feeling and convinced that it is a good choice as an iPhone case.

Thanks! Glad it helped in your decision.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]