It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Nintendo Sells Over 1.75 Million Hardware Units in November 
Paper Mario

Post Nintendo Sells Over 1.75 Million Hardware Units in November
NintendoFuse News

20121207-003541.jpg

Nintendo Sells More Than 1.75 Million Hardware Units in November

Strong sales on Black Friday and the arrival of Wii U helped Nintendo sell more than 1.75 million total hardware units in the United States in November, according to the NPD Group. This includes nearly 910,000 units of portable hardware and more than 845,000 home console units. November 2012 marks the 36th time that Nintendo has sold more than 1 million hardware units in one month in the United States since 2004.

“The groundbreaking Wii U, the continued strength of Nintendo 3DS and the enduring appeal of Wii and Nintendo DS drove momentum on Black Friday and through November,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Wii U is off to a tremendous start in the United States, is essentially sold out at retail and has cemented its status as the ‘must-have’ product this holiday season.”

Nintendo milestones achieved in November include:

Wii U: Following its launch on Nov. 18 and with only seven days of sales captured in the data, Wii U sold more than 425,000 units, nearly matching the Wii system’s first-week total of 475,000. On the software front, New Super Mario Bros. U sold more than 243,000 units, an attach rate of nearly 60 percent.

Nintendo 3DS: The platform kicked off its second holiday season by selling nearly 540,000 units and has now sold nearly 6.5 million units life to date. Additionally, Mario Kart 7 became the second Nintendo 3DS game to cross 2 million units sold in the U.S.

Wii: In its seventh November, Wii sold 420,000 units and has now sold more than 40 million units in the United States alone.

Nintendo DS: In its 97th month overall, Nintendo DS sold more than 370,000 units and will cross 53 million units sold life to date in the next few days.

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

*Note that all data referenced in this document is from The NPD Group’s November report, which covers the period of Oct. 28 through Nov. 24, and is for the United States only.

[Nintendo PR Email]

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
5000+ Club

Post Re: Nintendo Sells Over 1.75 Million Hardware Units in Novem
So no other Wii U games sold well? Nintendo Land?

Steep drop from last year.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

Video game sales dropped from last November, across the board. Consoles dropped 13%, games 11%, and accessories 8%. On top of that, it's been declining over the last 12 months, so nothing new here. Actually, the Nintendo DS was the only system to increase sales in comparison to last November. Odd? Perhaps... As a whole, it seems like games aren't going in a good direction, despite popular big names just releasing (Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed 3, Just Dance 4, Madden 13, Skylanders Giants, etc.). One example is that Black Ops 2 opening month sold 17% less than Modern Warfare 3's last year. So, while you might be trying to bash Nintendo, Trist, it is important to look across the industry, as a whole, and see the decline. It's not just Nintendo going downhill. Sad, but true... :frown:

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
hattrick wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

Video game sales dropped from last November, across the board. Consoles dropped 13%, games 11%, and accessories 8%. On top of that, it's been declining over the last 12 months, so nothing new here. Actually, the Nintendo DS was the only system to increase sales in comparison to last November. Odd? Perhaps... As a whole, it seems like games aren't going in a good direction, despite popular big names just releasing (Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed 3, Just Dance 4, Madden 13, Skylanders Giants, etc.). One example is that Black Ops 2 opening month sold 17% less than Modern Warfare 3's last year. So, while you might be trying to bash Nintendo, Trist, it is important to look across the industry, as a whole, and see the decline. It's not just Nintendo going downhill. Sad, but true... :frown:

I blame Apple and Google. People are more willing to pay 99 cents for a not so good game, but don't see the extra value in the 39.99 or 49.99 or 59.99 game. Then you get some games listed at those price points that don't seem worth the price, so it makes people think that more (or all) other games priced that much simply are not worth it.

It is also the economy though, more people are jobless, other people quit the hobby, etc. So it still stinks for it to be on the decline.

This really leads me to want to know more what will happen with the 360 and PS3 successors. Will they be more than $400? If so, will they be able to sell out? Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next year or two.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
And that's why I really hate the Apple pricing structure. It's why I hate any gaming-related stuff from Apple. Consumers are getting it in their head that it's okay to pay $1 for a game. I've seen many people even tell me they don't download games unless they're free. This type of attitude has been created and it's making people want to avoid paying $50-60 for a game. As a consumer, you may think it's great to pay very little money for games... but these $50-60 games are needed to sustain the developers. I've said it for years, and I will continue to say it... Apple is hurting the gaming industry.

This isn't about Apple vs. Nintendo as people love to compare... it's Apple vs. dedicated gaming consoles. I love Apple products, but I really hate supporting the games in the App Store. That's why I rarely get games from there.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Agreed! I felt that when I see games that are on both platforms, like Scribblenauts and Mutant Mudds. Both are considerably less on iOS. Sure, the experience is usually better on the "dedicated" consoles, but when people see both prices, which do you think they will go? Which way do I tend to go, even though I don't like how it works? The same way! People like spending less money, so somehow, the gaming industry either needs to change or something. I think it is similar to table-top games. Many of the really good ones cost $30-60, but they don't sell nearly as well as the $5-10 ones.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
I really think that nintendo should not have gone with $60 pricing structure like the other two companies do....it's what really appealed to me about them last generation. But I see alot of other launch titles starting less than 60, so I guess that's ok.

Just that, nintendo better make sure that if they charge $60 pricing, the games better be worth it. :???:

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:17 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
batmanjokergorden wrote:
Just that, nintendo better make sure that if they charge $60 pricing, the games better be worth it. :???:

This is of extreme importance, IMO.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Moblin

3DS Friend Code:
5198-3415-2165
hattrick wrote:
batmanjokergorden wrote:

This is of extreme importance, IMO.

In my opinion, if you are going to charge $60, I really don't think there should be any downloadable purchasable content. Just me, just me.

On a more positive note....has anyone noticied the scratch resist coating on the Wii U DVD discs? I noticied it right away as soon as I held the sides of the disc, it felt very smooth. It echoes the coating found on the ps3/bluray discs. I was like "YES YES!" "THANK GOD!" This is so awesome. Makes it EXTREMELY hard to scratch discs now, which I never had a problem doing because I baby ALL my personal property, but also I can feel better about buying used games. :dslite:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:46 am
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I had an issue when I heard 3DS games were going to be $40, that seemed to close to console games, but I got over it. $60 Wii U games seem fine. Obviously I'd rather have them cheaper, and I'm glad some games are. As long as the quality is there and the experience $60 is fine for me.

I don't mind the DLC. I'm very selective with what I purchase, so any game can have it and if I feel it's worth the price, then I'll buy it. I thought the NSMB 2 DLC was a tad overpriced.

As far as virtual console, I think it's time that they come down a little. NES maybe to like $4, SNES to like $6, and N64 to like $8. Gamecube can come in at $15 or $20. I'm fine if they have premium games worth their normal price, I'm saying more of the games should come down collectively. I also think it's a must to be cross play (for virtual console) on the 3DS and Wii U. The button support is there it just needs to be mapped out.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]