It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Hostess is liquidating its assets and laying off over 18000  
Forum Administrator

Post Hostess is liquidating its assets and laying off over 18000
Well, I covered just about everything in the title, and I'm sure a lot of you already know about this.

I do remember walking down the confectionery aisle and wondering how these businesses stay afloat in a time when people are cutting back costs and calories. I have wanted a box of Ding Dongs for a while, but I can't justify the purchase nutritionally or economically.

I guess we have the answer now - they don't stay afloat. The employees dealt a finishing blow to a business already in financial woes, and everyone involved will suffer for it.

When I have a real income, I suppose my cream-filled treats will come from Little Debbie. It's just not the same, though!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Pokémon Master

Post Hostess is liquidating its assets and laying off over 18000
It's kind of stupid on all parts. The worker's union made everyone lose their jobs. That's the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40 pm
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Hostess is liquidating its assets and laying off over 18
schmete wrote:
It's kind of stupid on all parts. The worker's union made everyone lose their jobs. That's the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

I had went to get a final treat, 1 hoho, 1 twinkie, 1 cupcake, and 1 ding dong (the individually wrapped ones) and when I was at target, a guy from a competing company was talking about this with me. He said his company already put in a bid to buy some of these hostess recipes, and also explained the nature of it.

Basically Hostess was threatened to file bankruptcy like about a year ago, and asked employees to take a pay cut. They agreed, and later found out that the pay cut was to give the executives a bonus. Then this repeated like a half of a year later, employees were skeptical but again agreed to a second pay cut. This was later used to pay executives a bonus. Now it came up again, but the employees had enough so they went on strike for like 4 days. Hostess demanded they return to work or had to file bankruptcy. Not enough employees returned to work, so here we are. The guy also mentioned it was determined that Hostess was not paying for their insurance and 401Ks for a little while as well.

Puts all of those affected into a very rough situation. Yikes.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
Post Re: Hostess is liquidating its assets and laying off over 18
"Twinkies are still produced in Canada by Saputo Incorporated's Vachon Inc., which owns the Canadian rights for the product from Hostess and not affected by the actions state side."

For now on, come on over to Canada to get your twinkies and ding dongs!

Canada: 2
US: 0

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]