It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Gamer Greg's Gazette (Journal) 
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Gamer Greg's Gazette (Journal)
Now I can talk about non-gaming updates now. Had a busy week at work as we were trying to certify a final build for our quarterly software update. 1 of the 3 did make it with 1 being pushed till next week, and the other my boss was hoping to finish himself this weekend, if not then next week as well.

Today was busy with my wife having a baby shower for her aunt, and then both of us went to her cousin's 8th birthday party at her Grandparents house. Then she and a different cousin went to see that movie Magic Mike (I didn't want to see it for obvious reasons). So while she was at the shower and the movie, I played Skyward Sword (see gaming log for details). I also got some house stuff done to keep our place in top notch cleanliness in case we get a showing. Tomorrow we don't have any plans so we will likely chill on the couch and watch movies/TV programs on the DVR.

I am attempting to make plans with my buddy for next Saturday while my wife has her 8 hour shift at the library. So will be playing plenty of multiplayer Wii/GC games and might finally get that local multiplayer award in Kid Icarus and/or might play some local Mario Tennis Open matches.

If anyone has any questions regarding the above or want to know anything in particular about me, feel free to ask.

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 am
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Post Re: Gamer Greg's Gazette (Journal)
If you didn't read DarkWish's journal, I'll let you know here:

Earlier in the week, I heard reports of people getting to experience Wii U first hand and I was praying for an invite. When I saw that Darkwish had one, I had high hopes since I mentioned I was one of the original Club Nintendo members. I eagerly checked my email on July 3rd. Nothing. I usually only check that account a few times throughout the day and it was the last time I had checked for the day. Then yesterday morning I checked and saw the invite. I immediately checked the calendar and went to the registration page. I was looking at Saturday July 21st, but the times left were later in the afternoon. My wife was working till 5 and we plan to leave for Detroit that night so I checked Friday. I saw one that I could go to after work 5-7pm and immediately booked it. I asked if she wanted to go and she immediately agreed. So I signed her up with one of my 3 friends/family codes and got the confirmation that we are going on July 20th. I'll do a write up of my experience on the following day and try to grab pictures and stuff as well.

After all of that planning went through, we left to go to our gym (LA Fitness) to work out. It was super hot in there, so I only did a little weight lifting then we left. I had found out the the AC was broke! It was at least 100 degrees yesterday! So I went home ended up hanging out for a little, then showering and left for my parents house. On the way we got Culvers custard ice cream. I had a Reese's concrete mixer and she had the oreo one. We hung out at my parents for a while and my brother brought over fireworks. We lit off some M-80s and some bottle rockets before one of the neighbors got upset. Then we had dinner, my mom had made beer can chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and garlic bread. Was a very good dinner! Then we went to the area's fireworks in the evening. While waiting for them to start (we arrive 2 hours early to get the best spot by the exit and awesome parking spot), I played some Skip-Bo with my brother, his wife, and my wife. Was pretty fun. Then I played a few matches of bomb monkey. While there I got a streetpass from someone from Alaska! It was a good 4th I'd say.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Sounds like you had a busy but fun 4th! Hope you enjoy trying out the Wii U and I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:24 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
JHardin1112 wrote:
Sounds like you had a busy but fun 4th! Hope you enjoy trying out the Wii U and I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks! I can't wait to play it!

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Sounds like fun! And cool that the Wii U thing is in your area as well, it's nice that they do these things for Club Nintendo members.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
This weekend was pretty relaxed. I already described my Saturday in the gaming log; which was a fun time. Sunday we went to Michigan to go to the beach. It's about an hour drive, with 90% of the travel in Indiana. The beach is just barely over the border in a town called New Buffalo. We hung out for the afternoon with my wife's cousin and her 2 friends from New Jersey visiting for the week. It was finally cooler than 85 degrees with a nice tempt of 82 while we were there. There were still some strong winds from the storm the night before so it made large crashing waves as one would see in the ocean. I got some reading done and got some sun. For a while we were in the water which was very good temp as well. With all the waves/wind there were some vortexes created in the water and made it difficult to swim out of at times and the life guards were having all sorts of fun trying to get everyone to come in closer to shore (red flags were up).

With it feeling a little chilly with the constant wind and low temp, I had felt sunblock wasn't needed. Boy was I wrong, I am burned all down my neck/shoulders and arms.

Finally, I discussed in my last post that I will be demoing the Wii U in like 11 days. My targeted games are:
New Super Mario Brothers U
Project P-100
Nintendo Land

I don't know if the lines will be bad or how much time I'll get at each station, but those 3 are 'definite' for me. I hope to check out some others as well.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Didn't really do much during the week last week. Except at work on Friday we had our release lunch and left the office at 2pm and got beers and lunch. I tried Zombiedust, Midas Touch and one other I can't remember the name.

Saturday we went to the Taste of Chicago, which is a huge food event where local restaurants have portions for tasting (or full portions) [not sure if everyone knew what it was, I apologize if you do know]. Basically you pay $8 for a roll of 12 tickets, and each item varies between 3-11 tickets depending on the restaurant, size of item (taste portion vs. full size sandwich/bowl). We got 3 rolls for each of us and I had a delicious Steak taco, pizza slice, Italian ice, Polish sausage sandwich, among some other items. Everything was pretty good for the most part. We brought bottles of water since they charge 5 tickets for one and would have been a waste of tickets.

In the evening we did some drive bys of potential houses. For those that don't know, my (town)house is on the market and we are looking to move closer to my parents. Since Thursday night we are 'living' at my parents house while they are out of town on a cruise. Basically making sure the dog is good and checking the mail/paper. We brought our cats so our townhouse would show better, and we got our first 2 showings over the weekend. We didn't get feedback on their thoughts yet, but at least we got a few bites.

Yesterday was a relax day and did a little shopping. Basically was hanging out and played several hours of DQ4.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
That Taste of Chicago thing sounds interesting, that's cool. Good luck finding a house!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
DarkWish wrote:
That Taste of Chicago thing sounds interesting, that's cool. Good luck finding a house!

Thanks. Yeah, we go every year. It's an annual thing right around this time of year. Usually its closer to the 4th, but this year they shortened it and started charging for the concerts (we typically don't care much for them as it's not usually huge well-known artists). Always good food if the heat is reasonable. It's easy to eat a lot, but the restaurants are trying to bring people in by allowing people to try some of their signature items. There's always a few items I get every year like the Catfish (which I typically hate most fish), and last year I added in the steak taco.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Getting really excited for the weekend!

Friday I am taking a half day, afternoon we will be seeing some of the houses we have interest in. Friday night is experiencing the Wii U. They FINALLY sent a location for it, not sure why it had to be so last minute. After the experience, my wife and I will be meeting up with my brother and his wife for dinner at a Greek restaurant.

Saturday night we will be heading to Detroit to see a Tigers baseball game (to see the stadium). I've been interested since my dad has been touring the baseball stadiums around the US, I felt I should try to see them as well. While he's hit almost every one already over the past few years, I haven't been to many of them.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weekend was pretty incredible! Friday I had half day, at work I learned how to launch the newest test code (I'm a software tester). It is nice to have new responsibility. Next we looked at 4 houses. 2 are crossed off immediately as they were not what we are looking for. The other 2 have potential, but with 1 the bedrooms are very tiny and our furniture wouldn't really fit. So we'd have to either convert the attic to a master suite or play around with the rooms to make 1 or others bigger, and make like the living room smaller. The other was decent, just needs a new AC unit, appliances, and lots and lots of yard work. If we had to settle on one, this one would be leading, but there are still plenty of others to see. No showings of our current place, so hopefully we'll get some more soon.

Friday night was the Wii U, which I wrote a nice long piece detailing everything. I did remember the 4th question when I was reading some comments on another site. It was "What does Nintendo mean?" and the answer is "Leave luck to Heaven". I did lose my camera either at the event or the restaurant I ate at with my brother. I had emailed the staff and they are checking it out and also called the restaurant who said to check in again yesterday; but I was out of town and will be following up today.

Saturday I spent the day doing some errands and chores. I cut my parent's grass one more time as they returned last night and also did some misc last minute stuff before leaving for Detroit. Saturday night we drove almost all the way there only stopping for food or bathroom breaks (3 stops). The hotel was basic, but it was basically just a place to sleep and provide breakfast in the morning. Sunday we went to the Tigers game at Comerica park who finished the sweep of the Chicago White Sox. The stadium was pretty nice, but sucked that our Chicago team lost (I'm a Chicago Cubs fan, but rooted for the White Sox as they are also from Chicago; my wife Rachael is a Sox fan though). Then after the game we had the nice long drive back. We only stopped once this time and had some nice stop and go traffic in Michigan along with Indiana. I picked up 4 street passes while at the game.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Had a very fun weekend! I was at my future brother in laws bachelor party. He did a white sox game, then we hit the bars after. We ended up catching up with the bachorette party for a little. I had a little too much to drink and was feeling the hangover today. Had a nap and water and felt much better. Work was busy this past week so I had limited time for myself.

Also had 2 showing this weekend, 1 was a returning viewer, so maybe we might get an offer soon! The other one they gave us 4 min notice that they were comimg so we scrambled to get everything set..

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weekend was pretty good. Saturday spent the day at the parents house, played an hour of Skyrim and kind of just hung out. Picked up the wife and went to Sam's Club to get some groceries. Then went out to dinner at Portillo's and had the ribs. They were good! Sunday was my birthday, and woke up and went for a run. Then went to the Farmer's market and got fresh fruit and veggies that we didn't want to pay for at Sam's. Then went to Gamestop and upgraded my 3DS to the XL model. The transfer process took like a half hour. I guess I downloaded a ton of games, or the hot spot on my Galaxy tab didn't run fast.

Sunday night went to Chicago Cut, a fancy steak restaurant new to the downtown Chicago. Parents buy a fancy meal once every 4-5 months for birthdays (celebrated my dad's which was in early August, and my sister-in-law whose is in early September).

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to remove more of my Wii U/E3 savings by leaving my commuter train pass on the train and have to deduct more money so I could make it to work for the rest of the month (monthly pass).

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Was at my sister's wedding this weekend as I mentioned briefly. Friday my wife and I visited with our cousins who came in from FL. My one cousin is an excellent chef (he used to be a head chef in Disney) he prepared dinner for us. It was amazing, he made chicken, zucchini, coli-flower(no idea how to sell that one) mashed potatoes, and a few other sides. Then after the meal, we all sat around the TV and watched everybody's favorite youtube videos. Fun night over all.

Saturday, the wife had to work and I hung out at my parents to see my aunt and uncle from FL (they were not there the prior night, more a 'younger generation' type of gathering). Then had to pick up my wife, scramble to get ready then headed to downtown Chicago for the the rehearsal and the dinner. Her wedding was at the Art Institute for anyone that has been to Chicago. Parked by Millennium Park. I was only an Usher, but the dinner and everything was still good. After dinner, some of the 'younger generation' went upstairs to the bar and hung out for a little while longer. Another late night...

Then Sunday was the big day. Slept in (finally), then got ready and met my parents at their house. Then headed to take family pictures at 2:30pm per my sister's instructions. Since they only had a limited time for the ceremony and party, they wanted all the family pictures done first before their time started. So we took pictures in Millennium Park everybody fully dressed. Then I went off with the wedding party to take additional photos. Which included the beautiful skyline by the Adler Planetarium, the middle of a street (outside the Board of Trade) and then at a bar (near the Art Institute). Then headed back for the ceremony which began at 6:30pm. It looked beautiful and everything went as planned. After that began the party part. That was also pretty fun as the liquor package had some of the top of the line choices like Maker's Mark and Patrone.

Labor day was a much needed relax day. Didn't do a whole lot but recover and rest.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Gamer Greg wrote:
Was at my sister's wedding this weekend as I mentioned briefly. Friday my wife and I visited with our cousins who came in from FL. My one cousin is an excellent chef (he used to be a head chef in Disney) he prepared dinner for us. It was amazing, he made chicken, zucchini, coli-flower(no idea how to sell that one) mashed potatoes, and a few other sides. Then after the meal, we all sat around the TV and watched everybody's favorite youtube videos. Fun night over all.

Saturday, the wife had to work and I hung out at my parents to see my aunt and uncle from FL (they were not there the prior night, more a 'younger generation' type of gathering). Then had to pick up my wife, scramble to get ready then headed to downtown Chicago for the the rehearsal and the dinner. Her wedding was at the Art Institute for anyone that has been to Chicago. Parked by Millennium Park. I was only an Usher, but the dinner and everything was still good. After dinner, some of the 'younger generation' went upstairs to the bar and hung out for a little while longer. Another late night...

Then Sunday was the big day. Slept in (finally), then got ready and met my parents at their house. Then headed to take family pictures at 2:30pm per my sister's instructions. Since they only had a limited time for the ceremony and party, they wanted all the family pictures done first before their time started. So we took pictures in Millennium Park everybody fully dressed. Then I went off with the wedding party to take additional photos. Which included the beautiful skyline by the Adler Planetarium, the middle of a street (outside the Board of Trade) and then at a bar (near the Art Institute). Then headed back for the ceremony which began at 6:30pm. It looked beautiful and everything went as planned. After that began the party part. That was also pretty fun as the liquor package had some of the top of the line choices like Maker's Mark and Patrone.

Labor day was a much needed relax day. Didn't do a whole lot but recover and rest.

Sounds like a really good time. Congrats to your sister! As for the liquor - I'm not much a fan of Makers Mark or Patrone. I drink Seagrams 7 for my whiskey and well as for Patrone...I had it once, eugh.....not so much =D!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 pm
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I've just been swamped lately. Over the last 2 weeks I've probably logged close to 100 hours of work trying to make the different deadlines at work. I had to work last Saturday (typically NEVER work weekends) to stay on top of things. Also, had to get that review posted since I had agreed to write it for some of the prizes we have for the tournaments.

Today I reserved my deluxe Wii U bundle after work. Can't wait!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
This weekend was pretty good. Was able to relax Friday night, by finishing NSMB 2. Saturday was my first ever 5k, final time was 36:53 (wife's time was 36:54). It was on her bucket list to complete a 5k without stopping or walking and under 45 minutes. It felt good to achieve that milestone with her. The race was cool since it was at night and everybody had glow sticks, lights and blinkers.

Might be looking into doing another one in the future, who knows.

Today was just a relax day. Just have movies in and played some Kid Icarus with Baconboy. This will be a short week since this weekend I will be in Texas visiting some friends from college.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Weekend was a lot of fun. Thursday night we went to Texas to visit some friends from college. Friday they took us around town and saw the boardwalk area, on a car ferry where you can see dolphins of the side and did a few other stops. Had lunch at the Cadillac, which was very tasty. Dinner we were at the Rain Forest Cafe which was pretty good.

Saturday we hung out at their parent's house since they have a pool. Just rest and relaxation until the evening when we went to an Astros game. I wanted to go see the stadium since I think it would be neat to visit all of the baseball stadiums. The ticket was only $5, which is less than a hot dog. We only stayed for half of the game (our friends have a 8-month old) and got to try Whataburger. It was actually pretty good for fast food. Sunday we hung out a little and played some Guitar Hero, then went back to their rents to go back in the pool. Then we went to the airport to return home. 0 street passes, but was still a good weekend.

This week I will be finishing up my work's major release, then Saturday will be able to relax and host the Kid Icarus Tournament.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Haven't updated in a long while. Not a whole lot going on most of the time.

Today, I visited the college I had attended (Illinois State University). I haven't been there since my wife graduated in 2009. It was nice to walk around the campus and was amazed at all the changes that happened. We picked up some T-shirts and a few other items. Also ate at one of our favorite restaurants the Pub II. Tomorrow will be hanging out with my sister for a few hours while my wife has a short work shift.

Thursday is the Zelda concert, and Saturday the Mariokart 7 Tournament begins! Lots of excitement coming up!

Also figured out the game I will be getting on launch day. I have decided to get Assassin's Creed III since I believe I have the smallest chance of reviewing that one.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Well today has certainly been interesting. Woke up to my wife wailing in pain at about 2am this morning and took her to the hospital. She had some extreme stomach pain, not sure how it started. Anyways, she's all better now, but while at the hospital, seems I caught a flu bug or something as I was vomiting in the restroom while I waited. I seem to be better now, but still gurgling a little bit. We both took sick days today, she was planning on taking a sick day tomorrow and I will likely work from home.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Gamer Greg wrote:
Well today has certainly been interesting. Woke up to my wife wailing in pain at about 2am this morning and took her to the hospital. She had some extreme stomach pain, not sure how it started. Anyways, she's all better now, but while at the hospital, seems I caught a flu bug or something as I was vomiting in the restroom while I waited. I seem to be better now, but still gurgling a little bit. We both took sick days today, she was planning on taking a sick day tomorrow and I will likely work from home.

Oh man, I'm sorry. Hope you both feel better soon!

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
0430-8286-7357
Gamer Greg wrote:

That sounds awful man. I'm sorry you guys are sick. Glad your wife is feeling better though. Hope you get better soon.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 am
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
DarkWish wrote:
Oh man, I'm sorry. Hope you both feel better soon!

Thanks! Today seems much better, but not quite 100% yet. At least I will be 100% before the Zelda concert on Thursday!

JHardin1112 wrote:
That sounds awful man. I'm sorry you guys are sick. Glad your wife is feeling better though. Hope you get better soon.

Thanks! I seem much better today, just not 100%. So that is good news at the least.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Well the tournament went down yesterday, and it seems like it was a pretty big hit. There were some issues, but didn't seem to be anything ground breaking. Sure there were internet issues for some, and some people dropping out and taking out potential points.

Thursday I head back to Disney, so it should be fun once again! Also, 3 weeks until the Wii U drops to the stores! I only have $35 left to pay off, should be able to get that done in the next 2 weeks.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I'd be posting more, but our goal was to not use electronics a lot. Plus my limited time was focused on the mariokart 7 thread.

Thursday we arrived about 10ish, and just unpacked and went to bed.

Friday, we hit Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Road all the good stuff at mk like Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, saw Phyllharmagic. At Epcot, it was to eat dinner at the food and wine festival. Had some German suasage on pretzel bun, Canadian chipotle suasage, a spicy Japanese tuna roll, among a few other. Mostly delicious stuff. In the evening we caught Hallowishes on the beach of a monorail resort (not one we stayed at).

Saturday we did rope drop at Hollywood Studios (formally named MGM for those of you that havent been in a long while). Did toy story mania, rock n roll, and tower of terror within an hour, then hit toy story and rock n roll with fast passes. We left and had lunch at San Angel in Epcot. We love that place for great Mexican food. We then had some pool time. Evening we saw Wreck It Ralph which was a great flick. Loved all the references, had a great story and all!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next