It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
The Marvel Cinematic Universe (Marvel Studios) 
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post The Marvel Cinematic Universe (Marvel Studios)
This thread is for discussing the Marvel Studios Cinematic Universe, which includes the following...

Phase I Movies:
- Iron Man (2008)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Iron Man 2 (2010)
- Thor (2011)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
- The Avengers (2012)

Phase II Movies:
- Iron Man 3 (2013)
- Thor: The Dark World (2013)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Phase III Movies:
- Ant-Man (2015)
- Captain America 3 (2016)
- Doctor Strange (2016)
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)

Marvel One-Shots (Short Films):
- The Consultant (on Thor Blu-ray)
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer (on Captain America: The First Avenger Blu-ray)
- Item 47 (on The Avengers Blu-ray)
- Agent Carter (on Iron Man 3 Blu-ray)
- All Hail the King (on Thor: The Dark World Blu-ray)

Television:
- Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Marvel's Agent Carter

-———————

I don't know about you guys, but I'm REALLY looking forward to the movie "The Avengers". I've always wanted to get into the Marvel comic world, but there are just so many different versions of each superhero that I could never really get into it. But finally, they decided to go ahead with a huge movie series. It all started with Iron Man, which I thought was a great movie. I went into that expecting something decent, but I really enjoyed it. They had the scene after the credits with Nick Fury and I was excited for the idea of The Avengers. I mean, think about it... each of these superheroes is getting their own big movie. And then The Avengers is taking all of them and putting them all in one movie. If pulled off successfully, this could be HUGE. And from the way they are handling things, it sounds like they really are trying to make The Avengers good.

Iron Man had the scene with Nick Fury after the credits, plus Agent Coulson, an agent from S.H.I.E.L.D., appeared as well. There was also Captain America's shield hidden in Iron Man (though that was probably an easter egg, not story related). Then, in the second movie in this continuity... we have The Incredible Hulk. Please note that this movie has no relation to the 2003 movie called "Hulk". Anyways, The Incredible Hulk had an easter egg of Captain America frozen in ice (maybe not story related, but just there for fun, who knows) as well as the appearance of Tony Stark (Iron Man) at the end talking to the General seeing if maybe Hulk could join The Avengers.

And now it comes to Iron Man 2, releasing May 7th in the US. It's been confirmed that Nick Fury and Agent Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D. will both return. What's awesome about all of this is that they placed extremely minor roles in the first movie, especially Nick Fury... but slowly, their roles are expanding as the movies go by. It's been confirmed that Agent Coulson will also appear in Thor, scheduled to release next year. And then we have The First Avenger: Captain America after that... and finally the big event: The Avengers.

It makes me super excited to have all of these cameos in the movies. Each movie stands on its own. And then some of them, like Iron Man, have their own series. But connecting all of it together is The Avengers, and that's just awesome to me. I like them slowly connecting everything in minor capacities, so that they can hint at what is coming. I mean... Nick Fury in Iron Man, Iron Man in Hulk, S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in Thor... it's all coming together very nicely. The Avengers is going to be very tough to do since it's a movie representing characters that are each big on their own, but now they will have to work together... Iron Man, War Machine, Black Widow, Hulk, Thor, Nick Fury, Captain America... that's a big team.

So yea, I just wanted to create this thread to show my excitement for what Marvel is attempting to pull off. I know DC tried to do a Justice League movie but that doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon. The Avengers is definitely happening and so far, I've enjoyed both Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, so I have high hopes for each of the movies that lead up to the big event. Anyone else excited at what they are attempting to do with The Avengers?

Last edited by DarkWish on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 am, edited 18 times in total.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Post Re: The Avengers and Marvel movies
Quote:
Robert Downey, Jr. and Don Cheadle will be playing Iron Man and War Machine, respectively. Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston will be reprising their roles as Thor and Loki as well.[7] Samuel L. Jackson signed on to play Nick Fury as part of an unprecedented deal with Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures for nine pictures, including The Avengers and its respective sequels.[8] Scarlett Johansson, playing the Iron Man 2 role of Black Widow, will be in the film.[9] Chris Evans will reprise his role as Captain America. [10] Edward Norton stated in an interview with MTV that he would like to appear in The Avengers and that he would be happy to see The Hulk as the villain.[11] Lou Ferrigno, who voiced Hulk in 2008's The Incredible Hulk, stated that he would be involved in the film.[12]

It will be interesting to see all these people working together in the same film. Hopefully they leave it opened ended enough to make it at least a two part or trilogy, cause I could imagine it being huge.

Hopfeully a Justice League movie does come to fruition. I guess Im more of a Justice League type of guy, and on the Marvel front...another Fantastic Four (reboot or not). And hopefully another animated Avengers movies cause marvel animations makes interesting animated movies.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Hopfeully a Justice League movie does come to fruition. I guess Im more of a Justice League type of guy, and on the Marvel front...another Fantastic Four (reboot or not). And hopefully another animated Avengers movies cause marvel animations makes interesting animated movies.

I prefer the Marvel characters much more, they seem more interesting to me. I'd still like to see a Justice League movie though. And I don't know about Fantastic Four or Spider-Man or other Marvel movies joining in on The Avengers though... this has taken years of preparation and I sure hope they don't just rush to include more characters in The Avengers 2 if they make that. Fantastic Four needs to get re-booted and only IF it's of good quality should it be included. Same goes for Spider-Man... we don't know how the new re-boot will be.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
The latest on what DC wants to do with Justice League: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/04/28/ ... is-growing.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
First image of Chris Hemsworth as Thor:

And YES! There is a post-credits scene in Iron Man 2 that is another tease towards the Avengers team-up. I don't know exactly what it is, and I'm trying to avoid finding out, but I can't wait to see that! Hopefully my roommates won't go to a midnight release for Iron Man 2, but will wait to go Friday evening since I have two exams on Friday.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:50 am
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

I keep thinking of Thor as this

But I guess they've modernized him up. lol

Cant wait to see it in motion

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

No they haven't... what you posted is the very original version, but he has also appeared many times like this:

So they basically used the exact suit that he's been using for a while, just not the very original.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

DarkWish wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

No they haven't... what you posted is the very original version, but he has also appeared many times like this:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/us ... or7var.jpg

So they basically used the exact suit that he's been using for a while, just not the very original.

Oh ohkay. Ive never seen that variant before. I only followed it through with the older version, so newer variants of the suits, Ive missed.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Oh ohkay. Ive never seen that variant before. I only followed it through with the older version, so newer variants of the suits, Ive missed.

I don't follow Thor, I just say what I've been told. Here's another picture for comparison...

Also, we have a Thor-related leak. If you don't want to know the villain (or maybe it's just one of the villains, I don't know), then don't look...
Spoiler: show
Below is a picture of the villain, Destroyer:

And here's a picture of him in the comics for comparison:

All in all, it seems both Thor and that certain villain have looks that are very faithful to the comics, which is great.

And also, someone unfortunately spoiled the post-credits scene for Iron Man 2 for me. I don't know what happens, but I know what it's about...
Apparently it's Thor-related and we see Mjolnir, his hammer.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
So I saw Iron Man 2 last night in IMAX and it was great! I'd say it was equal to the first movie and all the characters were just bad@$$ in the movie. As for the Avengers stuff, here are my thoughts (Warning: Spoilers, including for the post-credits scene):

Iron Man 2 set up the characters of War Machine and Black Widow pretty nicely. War Machine was awesome, but the one that surprised me was Black Widow. I mean, she's hot and all... but I had no clue that my one of my favorite fight scenes in the movie would be her fight scene at the end. Wow... she was like a freaking ninja, that was just awesome. We don't know much about her character, and I assume they'll explore it a bit more in The Avengers, but for now that was great. Nick Fury also had some funny scenes and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action in the future. Plus, Agent Coulson returned so that was cool.

Another great Avengers thing was that they referenced all the other movies in this universe: Hulk, Thor, and Captain America. The Hulk reference I completely missed, but people online said that when Nick Fury spoke to Tony Stark at the end, they showed Hulk on TV in a fight scene from the recent movie "The Incredible Hulk". Captain America's shield was shown on Tony's desk in the first Iron Man movie and it was brought up again in Iron Man 2. Agent Coulson, who was also in the scene, noticed it and asked him about it. And finally, the post-credit scene showed Agent Coulson in New Mexico and they found Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor. So yes, if you're wondering, the next movie is Thor (May 2011) and the only person related to the Avengers crossover that is confirmed to be in it is Agent Coulson. No clue about the Thor post-credits scene though, that's why too early to say since they're still filming Thor.

All in all, Iron Man 2 was an awesome movie on its own and the hints at The Avengers were greater than ever. I'm so excited for the Thor, Captain America, and Avengers movies. They are going to be so awesome. I also decided that I really need to buy Iron Man and Hulk, as well as all these movies in the Avengers series because they're all so awesome.

One other thing I noticed though... if the Hulk scene was shown on TV, then the Hulk movie would have to take place before/during Iron Man 2 which makes sense. But that means then that the scene with Tony Stark in Hulk would have to take place after Iron Man 2 since Tony seems to be a part of The Avengers at that point. Just an interesting tidbit.

UPDATED with more easter eggs (Warning: spoilers!):

So far I mentioned the following easter eggs in Iron Man 2:
- Captain America's shield
- Hulk on TV
- Thor's hammer in the post-credits scene

Well, there's even more! There is a scene at the end where Tony Stark is in makeshift S.H.I.E.L.D. bunker talking with Nick Fury. If you look on the monitors around them, you'll see a map of the US with various circles on it, one circling the area around Los Angeles where Iron Man is located, another to New Mexico where Mjolnir is found in the post-credits scene, and another to the North Atlantic where, presumably, they might've found an iceberg with Captain America frozen in it. Speaking of a frozen Captain America, you can see him briefly frozen in an easter egg in The Incredible Hulk.

Speaking of that map, Trist just let me know that it also points to Africa as well, pointing to Wakanda. What's Wakanda? Well apparently it's a fictional African nation which is led by a king named T’Challa, who eventually becomes The Black Panther when he comes to America. Another reason that Wakanda is so important is in the distant past, a massive meteorite made up of the sound-absorbing mineral vibranium crashed in Wakanda, and is unearthed a generation before the events of the present-day. So it has the large deposit of Vibranium, the metal used to help create a unique alloy Captain America’s shield along with Adamantium.

Sat May 08, 2010 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
I was never into the Avengers, as the X-Men were my main Marvel comics. Although, I can see myself getting excited about this upcoming movie, especially since they are doing all these cameos building up to it. That's a cool idea to weave the stories together beforehand.

Sun May 09, 2010 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Well, it's not confirmed and it's pretty obvious, but Jon Favreau (director of Iron Man series) is interested in doing Iron Man 3. He said it's all dependent on how "Thor", "Captain America: The First Avenger", and "Avengers" turns out. With Thor, there's more of the supernatural stuff, so he has to see how that all fits in with Avengers because the villain he has been considering for Iron Man 3 is The Mandarin. The Mandarin has been hinted at in the first two movies, but the thing with him is that in the comic books, he has 10 magical rings and Favreau says that it doesn't fit as much with the whole tech-based world they've set up. However, depending on how Thor is handled since that's not as tech-based, will determine how The Mandarin could work for Iron Man 3. Honestly, I don't think they'll have any problems and I'm expecting Iron Man 3 after Avengers and that it will include The Mandarin. That just makes sense to me.

Here's the article for reference: http://www.accesshollywood.com/jon-favr ... icle_32098

Sun May 09, 2010 1:07 am
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

DarkWish wrote:
Well, it's not confirmed and it's pretty obvious, but Jon Favreau (director of Iron Man series) is interested in doing Iron Man 3. He said it's all dependent on how "Thor", "Captain America: The First Avenger", and "Avengers" turns out. With Thor, there's more of the supernatural stuff, so he has to see how that all fits in with Avengers because the villain he has been considering for Iron Man 3 is The Mandarin. The Mandarin has been hinted at in the first two movies, but the thing with him is that in the comic books, he has 10 magical rings and Favreau says that it doesn't fit as much with the whole tech-based world they've set up. However, depending on how Thor is handled since that's not as tech-based, will determine how The Mandarin could work for Iron Man 3. Honestly, I don't think they'll have any problems and I'm expecting Iron Man 3 after Avengers and that it will include The Mandarin. That just makes sense to me.

Here's the article for reference: http://www.accesshollywood.com/jon-favr ... icle_32098

Magic? I can see how that will be odd in the Iron Man universe that they have set up. Actually I cant even see how they would explain it. lol, though, unless he can explain some reason behind the rings and make them "tech-based..." But thats is at least 3-5 years out from now, so no point in me speculating.

Sun May 09, 2010 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
DarkWish wrote:

Magic? I can see how that will be odd in the Iron Man universe that they have set up. Actually I cant even see how they would explain it. lol, though, unless he can explain some reason behind the rings and make them "tech-based..." But thats is at least 3-5 years out from now, so no point in me speculating.

Well some quotes seem to indicate that the upcoming Thor movie will be based off versions of Thor that aren't focused on the God aspect and involve some sort of science or something. Hold on, let me find that. Here it is from Wikipedia:

"In a January 26, 2010 interview with SFX, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige was asked will it be difficult to meld the fantasy of Thor with the high-tech science fiction of Iron Man in The Avengers. He answered; "No, because we're doing the Jack Kirby/Stan Lee/Walt Simonson/J. Michael Straczynski 'Thor.' We're not doing the blow-the-dust-off-of-the-old-Norse-book-in-your-library 'Thor.' And in the 'Thor' of the Marvel Universe, there's a race called the Asgardians. And we're linked through this Tree of Life that we're unaware of. It's real science, but we don't know about it yet. The 'Thor' movie is about teaching people that". "

So since that's how they're doing it, Thor could fit into the universe. So I don't see them really having a problem with The Mandarin. They can find some sort of explanation to make him fit into the universe. I'm sure some of it may be a bit of a stretch (And hey, so was the creation of the new Iron Man powers in Iron Man 2) but it's a comic book movie so no problem there.

Sun May 09, 2010 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Looks like we MIGHT get a S.H.I.E.L.D. movies after The Avengers. In a recent interview with Samuel L. Jackson, who plays Nick Fury, Jackson said "The Avengers should start shooting some time next year, and then some time after that there'll be a big S.H.I.E.L.D. movie." Since this is the first we've heard of this, what does it mean? Does he mean a Nick Fury movie, because isn't The Avengers a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie as is? Also, will they bring in other secondary S.H.I.E.L.D. members who aren't big superheroes to fill it up? The only S.H.I.E.L.D. members we know of right now are Nick Fury, Agent Coulson (who has been in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and will be in Thor), and Black Widow (appeared in Iron Man 2). But who else would be in this possible S.H.I.E.L.D. movie? I guess that's a bit far off since we still have Thor and Captain America first, but it's something to think about for the future.

Fri May 14, 2010 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

I guess they will really be delving into picking less known people for focuses in the movies; honestly a S.H.I.E.L.D movie, lol

Sat May 15, 2010 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Animal Crossing Villager

Just saw Iron man 2. It took a bit to convince my parents to stay AFTER creits but I got them to. And they enjoyed the secret end.
Now I am quite excited, an Avengers movie sounds perfect. and I love the Captain America easter egg in Iron Man 2. haha, I thought it was kinda funny.

I'm offically interested.

Sat May 15, 2010 8:27 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
More casting news! The character Howard Stark, the father of Tony Stark a.k.a. Iron Man, appeared in Iron Man (portrayed by Gerard Sanders) and Iron Man 2 (portrayed by John Slattery). But now we have reports that Dominic Cooper will play an even younger version of Howard Stark, the founder of Stark Industries, in the "Captain America: The First Avenger" movie. It seems Howard Stark will play a bigger role in the Avengers universe. In Iron Man 2, Nick Fury mentioned working with Howard Stark decades ago, and we can now assume that was a Captain America reference. Plus, Tony Stark has had Captain America's shield in his house in the past two movies. So there's obviously some connection that's been heavily hinted at and with Howard Stark's casting, that's confirmation that we'll get more of it in the Captain America movie. Plus, it means Iron Man 2 had even more Avengers references, when it was already packed with them... so that's awesome.

So now the current tally of characters crossing-over in upcoming movies:
- Thor: Agent Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Captain America: Howard Stark
- Avengers: Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Nick Fury, War Machine, Black Widow

Wed May 26, 2010 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Leaked concept art of Chris Evans in the Captain America suit (reliable sources say it's real and probably 95% close to being the final design):

More here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=403

Looks pretty cool, I think.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Ha! I was just about to post that image too.

Here's the MTV Splashpage blog post -- http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/06/02/ca ... -revealed/

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Lets hope they actual look that epic when their made to fit the actor.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
First Capt America and now Thor??

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/06/03/th ... +Page+Blog)

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Why can't they just keep the original design? Original Captain America looks a lot better than that crap. The new Thor looks decent.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
randomwiiplayer wrote:
Why can't they just keep the original design? Original Captain America looks a lot better than that crap. The new Thor looks decent.

I would think that's pretty obvious why they can't keep the original design... it doesn't fit with the time period and wouldn't look as good to the audience in today's world. The new design is basically taking inspiration from multiple versions of Captain America and looks like it's a perfect fit for the story they're going with and something that audiences today will enjoy.

As for Thor, we've seen part of his suit already, but it's nice to see the full suit. Looks pretty awesome. I'm liking all the suit designs in the whole Avengers Marvel universe. Can't wait to see them all together.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Well if anyone is actually interested in jumping into the comics looks like 2010 will be the perfect time

Quote:
After the conclusion of the Siege storyarc, which will also end the Dark Reign storyline, all four of the current Avengers series (consisting of "Mighty Avengers," "New Avengers," "Dark Avengers," and "Avengers: The Initiative") will be canceled and a new ongoing series titled Avengers will be launched in May 2010.

The launch marks the beginning of what Marvel calls the "Heroic Age", after seven years of grim story lines, including a superhero "civil war" that pitted Iron Man against Spider-Man and the death of Captain America. According to Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, "Heroes will be heroes again... They've gone through hell and they're back to being good guys — a throwback to the early days of the Marvel Universe, with more of a swashbuckling feel".[55] The series will be written by Brian Michael Bendis and John Romita, Jr. will be the regular artist.[56] Bendis has stated that the full roster will be revealed in the first issue of the series.[57]

A second title called Secret Avengers has also been announced for a May 2010 release. The series will be written by Ed Brubaker and Mike Deodato will be the regular artist.[58] The New Avengers series will be relaunched in June 2010, the book will be written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Stuart Immonen.[59] A fourth title called Avengers Academy will be launched in June 2010 also, replacing Avengers: The Initiative. The series will be written by Christos Gage and drawn by Mike McKone.[60]

Im quite interested in this and might actually follow along if I pass a comic bookstore or see them digitally. Quite ironic to also do this at the time that they are finally launching fullscale into the avengers and associated characters movies. Though it seems like (based on how the previous one lasted 7 years), that it is a multi year committment to follow the avengers along.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next