It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Movie Discussion 
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: Movie Discussion
Bought The Muppets Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy/Soundtrack combo pack yesterday! Got it from Target, so I got a bonus DVD with 6 episodes of The Muppet Show. Watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. Definitely a fun and funny movie. Gonna watch the bonus features in a bit and download the digital copy and soundtrack.

Also reading up on The Hunger Games before the movie comes out. I've read 17 chapters (out of 27 I think?) and I'm going to see the movie on Sunday with a friend, so I have plenty of time to finish it. Heck, I may even go pick up the other two books today and start on those soon.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

I quite liked the Hunger Games. Really didn't expect much... but it was quite good.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Watched The Hunger Games today. I definitely enjoyed it. I read the book last week, and this was a very faithful adaptation I thought. Yes, they omitted a few things and added a few things... but that's why it's called an adaptation. But I honestly can't think of anything that I wanted to see that they didn't include, unless I'm just completely forgetting something. With things like the Harry Potter movies, I ALWAYS found things that I would have done differently (though I still love those movies and for me, they're in another league compared to The Hunger Games)... but I was impressed that they did the movie so well. Now granted, I haven't read the other two books yet so I can't say if there were important things in this that were cut that would be needed later on, but I don't think so.

SPOILERS:
Spoiler: show
They didn't take away any of the brutality really, they just sort of used the shaky cam at some parts so they wouldn't directly show it. I thought the acting was well done. I had heard some people didn't like Peeta's acting, but I thought it was fine. I thought the added scenes were great with the gamemaker, that really added something to the movie... especially the scene at the end where he had to eat the poisonous berries. That was well done. I don't really have any complaints, none that I can immediately think of at least. The first half of the movie might have dragged on a bit as it took a good while before they got to the Hunger Games... but I felt like everything they covered was important and they didn't seem to waste time with anything unnecessary, so I guess that's just a fault of the story itself. Not a big deal. So yea, overall I enjoyed it.

Looking forward to reading the next two books now (started the second book yesterday) and seeing where the story goes from here.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
I saw the movie on Saturday. I'm having trouble getting my opinion on it. I know it's horribly bad, and it wasn't the best movie either.

While I understand it's an adaption, I was surprised a few things got changed up. I also was surprised that the games didn't seem to last long at all.
They didn't really show the struggle it was to find the first water source. I also felt Rue was downplayed to be a minor character when she really helped train Katniss with the plants and berries. It was like they met, they slept, then she died. Also, they downplayed Peeta's leg injury. Katniss had to get a injection needle and not cream for blood poisoning. Finally, they also skipped the part where the surgeons go to work when they leave the arena.

I guess that's what I get for reading it so close. I felt it could have been better, and the beginning part could have been cut down a little more for more Games time. I also liked the added scenes

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Gamer Greg wrote:
I saw the movie on Saturday. I'm having trouble getting my opinion on it. I know it's horribly bad, and it wasn't the best movie either.

While I understand it's an adaption, I was surprised a few things got changed up. I also was surprised that the games didn't seem to last long at all.
They didn't really show the struggle it was to find the first water source. I also felt Rue was downplayed to be a minor character when she really helped train Katniss with the plants and berries. It was like they met, they slept, then she died. Also, they downplayed Peeta's leg injury. Katniss had to get a injection needle and not cream for blood poisoning. Finally, they also skipped the part where the surgeons go to work when they leave the arena.

I guess that's what I get for reading it so close. I felt it could have been better, and the beginning part could have been cut down a little more for more Games time. I also liked the added scenes

Hmm...

I think those things would have made the movie drag a bit if they were included. Right when the games start, if she's off to search for water and it takes a while like it did in the book, well that'a awfully anticlimactic for a movie. Same with Peeta's injury... we get that he was suffering and everything, but I don't think they needed to elaborate more on that, they kept all the crucial parts. I understand about Rue though, that would have helped if they included a bit more with her.

Oh, and I completely forgot about the surgery part lol. I don't think that was that important, at least not to me. I don't know, I thought whatever edits they made helped the pacing of the movie and they kept everything that made an impact to me at least. So I was satisfied with it.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Well I finished two movies, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Sacred Star of Milos (one doesnt really need to see the series to watch this movie); and Mardock Scramble First Compression (pretty cool anime movie that is not tied to a long running franchise or what not).

Mardock Scramble: First
8 / 10. Although a bit too up there and mature for my tastes, I could really get into the visual style and animation that it had going on. Just a really nice looking world with some stunning and greatly choreographed action scenes and battle effects. Adaptations of long running shonen anime with movies ought to take note. Shell was pretty cool (want those sunglasses he had, wow) and Oeufcocque was quite the character. Balot could have had a bit more personality.

That cliffhanger ending right in a battle scene, I was satisfied with it even though it makes me want more now

FMA: Sacred Star of Milos

Potentially a 6 / 10. I just couldnt get into the animation style at all. If I may compare it to other popular shonen anime series that received movies, it just wasnt on the level of any of the Naruto Shippuden or Bleach movies. Mainly, the choices in the visual style was baffling at the start. It looked significantly worst than Brotherhood, as if they lost their touch in 1080p. The highlight moment was in the final twenty or so minutes, but then it had weird sketchy looking scenes though
the hands stuff was cool with everything in the lava

I actually enjoyed the final twenty or so minutes
with everything with Ashley and everyone fighting to stop it and what not. They handled that really well regardless of those animation moments

Major flaw is that
the story was felt like a retread of Brotherhood, in the vein of sacrifice humans for some giant transmutation circle? Could they have used an original concept, I fear if we get more movies or something else it will still use this theme...

Entertaining at the end of the day, and I dont regret my 20.99 for it. Dont understand why the 90minutes of bonus features is only on dvd and not the blu-ray.

Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Saw the Dark Knight Rises, surely I wasnt the only one, and I didnt think this thread would die, lol.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Saw the Dark Knight Rises, surely I wasnt the only one, and I didnt think this thread would die, lol.

Well after you post your thoughts on this movie, it will surely die... or at least some of us may die a little inside lol.

But I've been posting my movie stuff in my journal. Yes, I did see TDKR and I thought it was awesome. Not sure what movie I'll see next in theaters. Although I will be buying The Hunger Games on blu-ray when it releases this Saturday, can't wait!

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:18 am
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Yeah so as I said I saw The Dark Knigth Rises. To be honest it was rather overhyped and failed to meet expectations. It was quite terrible in fact that it gave me an awful headache during and as I finished the movie.

The movie was just really way too long and at times unfocused. I think it tried to be too ambitious by trying to cover too much ground. Such as all of the stuff in the beginning and what not could have been condensed or not shown (the stuff in the plane). I also hated that we had to spend so much time unfocused from batman. Sure we got time with the new guy Blake or whatever which was pretty awesome as he is great, but then we had to waste time with the cat burglar and such who was an awful character and really annoying. The plot advanced much too slow. I liked when things heated up there with pieces coming into place and all the commissioner stuff but then the other cops were annoying. It seemed there were lots of neat concepts but they were always ruined by just things that made them annoying or last too long. The invasion and such was good but the visuals for it were pretty not good (panning scene over the city where you could barely tell the bridges had collapses, etc).

The worst aspect of all were just the awful antagonists. The twist involved with them was just so infuritating that I got a headache and almost left the theater from it, of all the people to be the true villain it was her?! What even, she could have blew up the city so early, heh even then they could have done it the second batman was spotted (why they didnt, I dont even that was just dumb on their part to ignore his presence and still hold out for the last possible moment, no wonder they lost

Really they should have definitely reevaluated this movie and trimmed it while making it a bit more smarter and action packed. Batman himself was disappointing and there are virtually no memorable scenes beyond
anything involving technology warfare, which was all good
oh and I did love
everything involving him in that cave out of america with the people and the whole history and what not and climbing to escape that place while recovering from his injuries

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Still haven't seen DRR, and I might not until it comes out to rent from Redbox or something.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

Trist must just hate good movies.

Anyway, seeing the new Bourne move with my parents tonight.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm
5000+ Club

Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror (funidub)
Well that made my $7.99 this month for the EVS for funimation worth it. I thought the movie was initially going to be really kiddy and stuff and kind of dull because of the character design, but I really enjoyed it. It started off slow and such but once in the actual world and then to Oblivion Island it picked up. I really loved the characters she met such as Cotton at the play (best character) and Teo's company continuously was a blast. I think Cotton and Teo were the true heroes. I want a Cotton...

Haruka was alright too, she really went through some stuff and I guess I could kind of relate to one thing which made it quite emotional (plot)
when you see the memories in the mirror and what happened to the mom I did start to cry too when that happened to Cotton, so unexpected and out of the blue, and Teo's bravery should be commended

The weakest part to Haruka was just her VA. I dont think Christine Marie Cabanos did a really good job with her voice, it just sounds off for the 16yr old Haruka. Patrick Seitz was kind of good as the Baron, funny and memorable.

Anyway the biggest draw of this to me was just seeing the animation and visuals, it looked nice in lots of places especially the intense actiony scenes of going through various locations at high velocity and seeing all the detailed junk with some magical particles and what not around at times. Balloons, trains, magic stuff, cotton stuffing coming out of stuff and what not made for a really nice and enriched world. I didnt like how the human character models look, but everything else was good and fun.

Fun and emotional movie, 8 / 10.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

I've been trying to write short reviews for all the movies I've seen/rewatched recently on my Letterboxd account. Currently these include The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Tintin, The Bourne Legacy, and Drive.

http://letterboxd.com/jackamick/films/reviews/

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:27 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Since I pre-ordered The Hunger Games blu-ray via Amazon, they sent me an email about how they are giving it to me on Instant as well, starting midnight on release day. Sweet!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

hattrick wrote:
Since I pre-ordered The Hunger Games blu-ray via Amazon, they sent me an email about how they are giving it to me on Instant as well, starting midnight on release day. Sweet!

That's cool, but shouldn't really matter if you got a digital copy anyway :P

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 am
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Jack wrote:
hattrick wrote:

That's cool, but shouldn't really matter if you got a digital copy anyway :P

True, except the Amazon one will be available at midnight, and I have to wait until the disc arrives to get the code for the other digital copy. And having it in a couple different digital places is nice too.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

I was kind of looking forward to Premium Rush, because it would be full of cool fixed gear stunts, but I was expecting the movie to be pretty terrible other than that.

Apparently I was wrong. Now I am really looking forward to it.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/mo ... .html?_r=0

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:54 pm
5000+ Club

3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
I agree with a lot of what you said about Full Metal Alchemist: SSM Trist. The animation was different, and not in the awesome way Conquerors of Shamballa was.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Hadn't seen a movie in theaters in a while, so I went to go see Looper. Heard a lot about it and decided to see it. I enjoyed it. Wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining and an interesting concept.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

Who is going to see The Hobbit in December?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:31 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
SirVenom wrote:

I'm debating it. I want to see it eventually... but I'm just not hyped for it at all. I don't know. I'll probably end up seeing it in theaters with friends or something.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

3DS Friend Code:
4038-6055-7746
SirVenom wrote:

This guy!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 pm
Forum Moderator

NNID: Gamergd3
3DS Friend Code:
2878-9653-5609
Looks like we have pretty solid plans to see Wreck it Ralph in Disney World! How fitting!

150cc (All Items): 49-7013-6157-1921

Balloon Battle (All Items): 04-7760-0414-7349

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Goomba

3DS Friend Code:
4682-8952-3164
i loved how every marvel movie (exept spiderman which by the way is awesome i liked the one with toby maguire) lead up to the avengers

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm
Forum Administrator

3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Wreck-It Ralph was so good! HIGHLY recommend, especially for fans of retro games. :-)

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next