It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Wii U Controller - The "GamePad" 
Forum Administrator

Post Wii U Controller - The "GamePad"
Edit for posterity: Although I still think that it is ugly, I'm trying to be open-minded about the whole thing.

So apparently the system is called WiiU. And apparently the controller looks like this.

Attachment:
wiiucont.jpg

Ehm, how to put this gently.... It's hideous. And probably expensive. I sure hope that there is an option for the Wiimote to replace this thing - the touch screen is probably only there to replace the pointing controls.

Anyway, I gave my personal opinion just to kick off discussion. Those of you who like it, I would like to hear why you like it. I want to like it, but I just think it would feel like I'm playing with a giant Leapfrog - the aesthetics of the controller certainly don't help this. Big, white and blocky.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Mr. Game & Watch

Post Re: WiiU Controller
What. The. Crap.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Mr. Game & Watch

Even the system looks stupid. Image

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 pm
Forum Administrator

I actually kind of like the system design... not as much as the current Wii, but it isn't ugly.

This may sound like sarcasm, but it isn't - is Nintendo aiming to compete with Leapfrog?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Everything about the system except for one thing is freaking awesome. It's just as I pictured it, and it looks great. So many great concepts that can be done, backwards compatible with Wii controllers so we can still have motion control as well as traditional control. And it's all in HD, as people have wanted for years now. Now the one thing I hate, and I mean hate, is "Wii U". Terrible name. But everything else about it is very awesome.

Oh, and system picture posted. Not bad, it's like a sleeker Wii.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

SirVenom wrote:
I actually kind of like the system design... not as much as the current Wii, but it isn't ugly.

This may sound like sarcasm, but it isn't - is Nintendo aiming to compete with Leapfrog?

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT IT LOOKED LIKE

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 pm
Forum Administrator

Okay, I still think the controller is ugly, but I will admit that some of the ways that it is used are pretty cool.

Quote:
And the controller's screen can be used to interact with fully three-dimensional worlds that extend beyond the TV set. For instance, during a private showing before the E3 press event, Game Hunters got to play a game featuring pirates firing rubber-tipped arrows at the player used the display like a shield. First, the player blocks the arrows as they come first from straight ahead, then from above. Then players block arrows fired from ships on the left and right -- not on the screen, but on the virtual horizon that extends from the screen -- seen by turning with the controller's display headed those directions. "It goes beyond even what you can see on the TV screen," Fils-Aime says.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
SirVenom wrote:
Okay, I still think the controller is ugly, but I will admit that some of the ways that it is used are pretty cool.

Like I said, watch the controller's trailer, I'm sure they'll put it up online... they greatly detailed many potential uses for it. It may not look good for some people (though I like it) and the name sucks (definitely), but it is very awesome in terms of uses.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Post WiiU Controller
Those uses seem just like what the Wii was. It seems like a cool concept, but one everybody will get tired of after a few months. The controller design is pretty ugly. Not a fan of the iPad with buttons look.

EDIT: Also, this thing has a stylus. Is it going to be touch controls like the DS? or is it going to have a touch screen similar to that of modern smartphones?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
schmete wrote:
Those uses seem just like what the Wii was. It seems like a cool concept, but one everybody will get tired of after a few months. The controller design is pretty ugly. Not a fan of the iPad with buttons look.

That's why they made it more of a traditional controller with buttons. Companies making more core games don't have to incorporate motion controls, they can just use the normal button layout that they use on other consoles. I can understand complaints about the design, but in terms of functionality, it definitely caters to everyone, especially with them just allowing Wii Remotes for motion controlled games.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

Beyond the facts that modern smartphones allow more than one touch at a time, and that they do not allow styluses or fingernails at all, what is the difference?

Edit - Does it at least have rubber grips on the back? It looks painful.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
SirVenom wrote:
Beyond the facts that modern smartphones allow more than one touch at a time, and that they do not allow styluses or fingernails at all, what is the difference?

What kind of modern smartphone offers these console-like gaming experiences? There are SOME iPhone titles that MAYBE could. But not much really. And the key here is the interaction between the Wii U controller, the TV screen, and possibly also the Wii Remote. Again SirVenom, a lot of this will be much more clear if you watched the video shown.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Post WiiU Controller
SirVenom wrote:

Edit - Does it at least have rubber grips on the back? It looks painful.

The type of screen it is. NDS requires a depression of the screen, while smartphones simply require the slight touch of something to complete the circuit on the screen.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 pm
Forum Administrator

DarkWish wrote:
SirVenom wrote:

What kind of modern smartphone offers these console-like gaming experiences? There are SOME iPhone titles that MAYBE could. But not much really. And the key here is the interaction between the Wii U controller, the TV screen, and possibly also the Wii Remote. Again SirVenom, a lot of this will be much more clear if you watched the video shown.

I was referring to Schmete's question :p

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:01 pm
5000+ Club

The usage for golf looked the best, otherwise, I dont think its as glorious as people are making it out to be. I cant really see how it enhances experiences such as Battlefield 3 offered on other consoles versus the one offered with this control scheme.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

At the very least, I suppose, screen-peeking will no longer be an issue on this system. If it gains good third-party support, and the controllers prove not to be too uncomfortable, it could be good for shooters.

But... ah, I've run this into the ground. I'll let someone else take the criticism from here.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:37 pm
Pokémon Master

SirVenom wrote:
But... ah, I've run this into the ground. I'll let someone else take the criticism from here.

-raises hand-

It sucks.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm
Forum Administrator

My main concern is that this controller would be mandatory in many games. It's a given that it will be required in whatever demo games come with Wii U, but I would like to see it being interchangeable with the WiiMote, classic controller and GCN controller for the most part.

I would probably using this controller from time to time, maybe even frequently, but I would like the option to use something more ergonomic.

By the way, I read that even Wii games can be played entirely on the controller - does anyone have ideas on how this would work? I am inclined to think that the writer was mistaken, since there would be one less accelerometer, and it would be nearly impossible to use the touch screen and the buttons at the same time, as would be required to replace the pointing controls.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:29 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
SirVenom wrote:
My main concern is that this controller would be mandatory in many games. It's a given that it will be required in whatever demo games come with Wii U, but I would like to see it being interchangeable with the WiiMote, classic controller and GCN controller for the most part.

I think most games would support the other controllers as well, they did have a big emphasis on using Wii controllers, so I don't think this should be a problem.

SirVenom wrote:
By the way, I read that even Wii games can be played entirely on the controller - does anyone have ideas on how this would work? I am inclined to think that the writer was mistaken, since there would be one less accelerometer, and it would be nearly impossible to use the touch screen and the buttons at the same time, as would be required to replace the pointing controls.

You know, I didn't think about that. They did specifically show off Wii Fit with the Wii Balance Board, but for all we know that could have just been a proof of concept and they'll make a new Wii Fit game. So it's unclear how that will work, if at all.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

The thing that I
HATE
about the 3DS is the fact that it still uses a capacitive touch screen. These touch screens are crap, and it's always disappointing to use. Most new devices (iPhone, Vita) use a resistive touch screen, with a nice glass screen. I can almost guarantee that the Wii U will use a crappy capacitive screen for two reasons, to keep the price down, and since Nintendo seems to love these cheapo screens.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm
Forum Administrator

Well, I have a 3DS and an iPod, and I really don't see how the very slight pressure applied to the DS screen is significant. In fact, I actually like to go further - I like the clickable screen on one of the Blackberry models whose name I can't remember.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:13 pm
5000+ Club

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

They are practically the same size... :eek:

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 pm
Wario

Jack wrote:
The thing that I
HATE
about the 3DS is the fact that it still uses a capacitive touch screen. These touch screens are crap, and it's always disappointing to use. Most new devices (iPhone, Vita) use a resistive touch screen, with a nice glass screen. I can almost guarantee that the Wii U will use a crappy capacitive screen for two reasons, to keep the price down, and since Nintendo seems to love these cheapo screens.

You got that backwards sir. And resistive is good! You just can't cheap out. Resistive touch screens have come a VERY long way and are VERY usable.

ANYWAYS, I think the controller will be interesting. Everyone I have talked to about it said that it was lighter than it seems, and the back is rounded so that your fingers are on the back triggers ( I don't know if they are trigger or really big buttons ). But yea, they all said it was really comfortable to use. It looks like it is perfect for couch play :P

I can't wait for this to release so somebody can tear it apart and let me know what processor and GPU this thing has in it.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:38 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Yea, I've read some impressions and they all seem positive so far. I'm curious to see what hey_suburbia and hattrick think of it, I saw some videos of them playing it on their YouTube channels.

Oh, and by the way... it's "Wii U", with a space in between. Topic title says "WiiU".

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next