It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
The Change Mario Needs 
Pokémon Master

Post The Change Mario Needs
So, with our discussion about Super Mario 3DS, I've been thinking about what changes 3D Mario games need to feel fresh, but not lose sight of what makes 3D Mario games so great. I think I've come up with a good solution: Get rid of the hub world, and make it open world.

The reason Mario 64 used a hub world was because the N64 couldn't handle rendering a full world in 3D, so they made small levels that you would enter from a singe hub world. It's an ingenious solution to a problem like that. However, technology has advanced, and games can handle a huge, open world environment (see: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion).

Imagine a giant Mushroom Kingdom complete with an ice mountain, lava lake, Cheep Cheep Beach, caves, lake, etc. It could either be entirely open, like Elder Scrolls, or could be sectioned off, similar to how Zelda games are. Before you say that Mario doesn't really fit in a large, empty, open world environment; imagine taking every level of a 3D mario, and putting them all right next to each other. It's not an empty place, but it's a huge world. NPC could give mario his objectives, which opens up an opportunity to introduce new characters. For example, a character that is obsessed with red things. He tasks Mario with collecting the 8 red coins within certain areas.

I think putting Mario in an environment like that would be a compelling enough change to how 3D Mario games work that it would encourage people to try it out. It also doesn't make any radical changes to gameplay (like Sunshine added the F.L.U.D.D.), so purists will not be turned away.

Thoughts?

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

Post Re: The Change Mario Needs
I like it. I doubt something like this will be happening soon, but a man can dream.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:07 am
5000+ Club

I just need some coherant story tying all of these worlds/quests together. For a platformer like, say LBP, the main goal is always directly related to the overall plot. Mario doesnt feel that way.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
I just need some coherant story tying all of these worlds/quests together. For a platformer like, say LBP, the main goal is always directly related to the overall plot. Mario doesnt feel that way.

Mario has to get to Bowser's Castle, where Peach is. To get there, he has to cross the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:08 pm
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

schmete wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

Mario has to get to Bowser's Castle, where Peach is. To get there, he has to cross the Mushroom Kingdom.

^ Pretty much, plus it's not like LBP had the greatest storyline ever. I'm glad they kept Mario simple.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:08 pm
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Superwes wrote:
schmete wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

^ Pretty much, plus it's not like LBP had the greatest storyline ever. I'm glad they kept Mario simple.

Exactly. The reason Mario games are simple and focus on gameplay is the big reason why I love them so much.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

Superwes wrote:
schmete wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

LBP doesnt focus on storyline either, its just the mini stories in levels have some relation to the end goal. Marios have fallen into the "chase a penguin to get a star" with the penguin never once indicating anything about the great story at hand. Heh even just one line or something, Im not asking for an award winning tolkien masterpiece, but something more than a collection of brightly colored levels.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:
Superwes wrote:
schmete wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

LBP doesnt focus on storyline either, its just the mini stories in levels have some relation to the end goal. Marios have fallen into the "chase a penguin to get a star" with the penguin never once indicating anything about the great story at hand. Heh even just one line or something, Im not asking for an award winning tolkien masterpiece, but something more than a collection of brightly colored levels.

I imagine it would be similar to what Sunshine did, with NPCs asking you to help them retrieve something they lost, or clear enemies from around their home or something. That way, you at least get some background info on why you're doing what you're doing. There could also be a similar idea to what is used in OoT, where you have to retrieve all of a certain item to get to the castle.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]