It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Playstation All-Stars 
Mr. Game & Watch

Post Playstation All-Stars
Some new Sony startup studio is about to announce some big "Playstation Exclusive" on this week's GTTV.

Rumors are it's a Smash Bros style fighter, possibly called Playstation All-Stars (which is a stupid name, since it just makes me think Baseball or something).

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/2 ... -exclusive

Last edited by Jack on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:14 pm
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER }
Podcast Producer

NNID: DarkWish
3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
Post Re: Sony Smash Bros?
I thought there was a thread for this already, but maybe I just made that up in my head. Anyways, it's as good as confirmed. A bunch of details are already out there, and chances are it'll actually be called "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale". It will be revealed on GTTV... basically confirmed.

From what I've heard, it sounds somewhat interesting... but I need to see footage first. I'm also worried Sony is revealing too much before E3. They did that last year and I felt their conference would have been much better had they held off some of their earlier revelations until then. Hopefully they don't reveal too much yet.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I thought there was a thread for this already, but maybe I just made that up in my head.

There is, but I don't care to look for it and I think it's worth two threads.

This is one of a few things that make me wish I could afford a PS3. But, there are always things higher on the priority list.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 pm
Pokémon Master

http://forums.wiinintendo.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=9399&p=153198&hilit=title+fight#p153198

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:32 pm
Mr. Game & Watch

Oh ya, I forgot about that thread...

But now it's a bit closer to a real announcement... soo......?

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 pm
Pokémon Master

I really hope it's not a 3D fighter. I really like the Smash Bros. formula, and it's one without any competition. It seems as though all signs are pointing to a 3D fighter, though, which I'm really not interested in.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm
5000+ Club

I havent looked into it at all nor the roster, who is rumored?

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Wrist Strap

Oh man I can't wait ti fight using all these widely known original Sony IP's like Kratos, Cole, Sackboy, and a plethora of FPS/3rd person shooters.

One of the main reasons Smash Bros worked for Nintendo was because they have a lot of characters with their own worlds and all that. Sony doesn't really have many IP's left that could work in a smash bros like game. Well, unless they were all like Snake.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Pokémon Master

Potatoman the Second wrote:
Oh man I can't wait ti fight using all these widely known original Sony IP's like Kratos, Cole, Sackboy, and a plethora of FPS/3rd person shooters.

One of the main reasons Smash Bros worked for Nintendo was because they have a lot of characters with their own worlds and all that. Sony doesn't really have many IP's left that could work in a smash bros like game. Well, unless they were all like Snake.

Smash Bros worked because the game design is incredible. It didn't need the recognition of characters. That certainly helped, but the game is so unique and well done that the characters are negligible. If Sony's game really had some good developers working on it, it could be fantastic.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 pm
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
schmete wrote:

Smash Bros worked because the game design is incredible. It didn't need the recognition of characters. That certainly helped, but the game is so unique and well done that the characters are negligible. If Sony's game really had some good developers working on it, it could be fantastic.

I disagree about the characters in Smash Bros... I wouldn't have bought the game if I didn't recognize the characters. What makes the game for me is the charm of the various Nintendo series represented. Yea, the game mechanics provide for some solid gameplay fun, but it's the characters that make the game what it is... at least for me.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

DarkWish wrote:
schmete wrote:

I disagree about the characters in Smash Bros... I wouldn't have bought the game if I didn't recognize the characters. What makes the game for me is the charm of the various Nintendo series represented. Yea, the game mechanics provide for some solid gameplay fun, but it's the characters that make the game what it is... at least for me.

I think the characters are what draws people in, but the game would stand alone without them. It certainly adds to the experience, but the game would be just as good without them. If the game didn't play as well as it does, people wouldn't care so much.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:49 pm
5000+ Club

DarkWish wrote:
From what I've heard, it sounds somewhat interesting... but I need to see footage first. I'm also worried Sony is revealing too much before E3. They did that last year and I felt their conference would have been much better had they held off some of their earlier revelations until then. Hopefully they don't reveal too much yet.

Well unless its releasing over the summer, doesnt make sense to hold it off until E3 to reveal and try to quickly market. For their E3, well the only thing we know thats coming in the Future is Last of Us, revealed last year, the God of War prequel, and now this, whereas vita has not had much revealed.

I like when companies arent holding all announcements for one conference to be honest.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale CONFIRMED as the title.

Just saw footage on GTTV... has Smash Bros style gameplay. They're gonna detail some characters, but I'm heading to bed... I'm sure the footage will be online shortly. I'm curious as to what this does differently than Smash Bros since it seems quite similar in style.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Game & Watch

Actually doesn't look too bad.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:31 am
Pokémon Master

Wow, I'm impressed. The physics looks exactly like I would want, and that's what I was most worried about. I'm not so keen on the visual style, but I can get past that if it plays well. Everyone playing it seemed to be having a good time, which is great, because I recognized a lot of the people shown as major Playstation writers from a various news sites. I'm definitely interested in picking this up.

EDIT: But, MY GOD, THE NAME. UGH.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:31 am
5000+ Club

Who are the characters so far, any third parties?

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

Looks like Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, Kratos, and Sly Cooper. Stages involve Buzz!, Patapon, and LBP, giving possibility for character from those franchises to appear.

EDIT: Other franchises included:

Resistance (weapon - Hedgehog Grenade)
Ratchet & Clank (stage)
Jack & Daxter (stage)
Hot Shots Golf (stage)

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 am
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
I'm interested to see how it does, since they don't have the "classic" characters Nintendo does. I mean, we saw how a Mario Kart "clone" didn't do too well, so I wonder how a Smash Bros. "clone" will do. I'm not saying it will be horrible. Honestly, it will probably look great and be really fun, but I wonder how the character list and such will go into the sales figures in the end, in terms of appeal to a wide audience.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
5000+ Club

schmete wrote:
xXxTrIsTxXx wrote:

Looks like Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, Kratos, and Sly Cooper. Stages involve Buzz!, Patapon, and LBP, giving possibility for character from those franchises to appear.

EDIT: Other franchises included:

Resistance (weapon - Hedgehog Grenade)
Ratchet & Clank (stage)
Jack & Daxter (stage)
Hot Shots Golf (stage)

Oh hope we get some club HSG character. Ratchet playable will be fun.

Screw sales potential, as long as its fun!

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

I really think the name needs to be changed. It's a huge part of how marketable the game is, and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Why didn't they just stick with Title Fight? That's a great, simple name that is easy to remember. Not to mention the current logo looks like crap. If I saw this on the shelf and didn't know what it was, I'd pass it off as some weird third party shovelware.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 am
Podcast Producer

3DS Friend Code:
4768-7442-9149
schmete wrote:
I really think the name needs to be changed. It's a huge part of how marketable the game is, and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Why didn't they just stick with Title Fight? That's a great, simple name that is easy to remember. Not to mention the current logo looks like crap. If I saw this on the shelf and didn't know what it was, I'd pass it off as some weird third party shovelware.

Yea, or even just a shorter name like Sony Battle Royale or something of that nature. Even it's abbreviation is weird... PASBR or PSASBR (depending on if you including PlayStation as PS or just P).

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Pokémon Master

Post Sony Smash Bros?
DarkWish wrote:
schmete wrote:

Yea, or even just a shorter name like Sony Battle Royale or something of that nature. Even it's abbreviation is weird... PASBR or PSASBR (depending on if you including PlayStation as PS or just P).

I don't even like how Sony/Playstation is always in the name. Look at the other crossover fighters like this. Super Smash Bros. and King of Fighters didn't have mention of their parent companies. I just wish they could come up with something good that isn't do dumb.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:46 am
Mr. Game & Watch

schmete wrote:
DarkWish wrote:
schmete wrote:

I don't even like how Sony/Playstation is always in the name. Look at the other crossover fighters like this. Super Smash Bros. and King of Fighters didn't have mention of their parent companies. I just wish they could come up with something good that isn't do dumb.

Yes.

Tue May 01, 2012 4:32 am
Forum Administrator

NNID: hattrick
3DS Friend Code:
1590-4688-7305
Jack wrote:
schmete wrote:
DarkWish wrote:
schmete wrote:

Yes.

Word!

Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Barrel Cannon Acrobat

Sony should be ashamed of themselves for such a blatant rip-off.
Not that I blame them; consumer whore-ism is at an all time high.

Bobius,Thu, 10 Jan 2008, 21:29 wrote:
I shall assume Mike is right as he is Mike.

Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next